Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan

Dad's new sled.
    Perfectly parked.

Editor's note: It is not wu's truck,
    but it is sweet.
    Somehow, a link to a beautiful Charger truck, parked in front of Allegiant Stadium,
    got morphed into an OP in a thread with political discussion.

You think not ?
    It depends on whether the nature of the individual comments were agreeable to yourself or not.

So why aren't you driving a Chevy Bolt, TPB ?

:biggrin:
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

I was thinking of it from a design angle. One of my jobs is as an industrial designer. Taking a plant with 500+ simple, easy electric motors and converting them to engines makes my head hurt and would make the maintenance crew weap tears of blood.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Alright, Mensa Minds of TPB, enough of this plug-in bull shit.

It is good to see more and more hydrogen fuel stations, and ostensibly, lower hydrogen fuel prices.

Toyota Mirai/Hyundai Nexo are on my short list.

:coffee:
        Last edited by wu-dai clan; 06-24-2021, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Discussing the conversion to renewable energy sources and EVs is in what way political?

It is a discussion of emerging clean technologies and thus the future of the energy sector.
          Toyota, Tesla, VW, and Ford are all preparing for the solid-state batteries to come online. This is a real advancement in battery tech. This technology will lower cost, increase range, and reduce safety concerns in EVs while providing increased capacity for commercial/residential energy storage systems.

The electric vehicles being developed by Toyota will have a range more than twice the distance of a vehicle running on a conventional lithium-ion battery under the same conditions. All accomplished without sacrificing interior space in even the most compact vehicle.

Solid-state batteries are expected to become a viable alternative to lithium-ion batteries that use aqueous electrolyte solutions. The innovation would lower the risk of fires, and multiply energy density, which measures the energy a battery can deliver compared to its weight.

It would take roughly 10 minutes to charge an electric vehicle equipped with a solid-state battery, cutting the recharging time by two-thirds. The battery can extend the driving distance of a compact electric vehicle while maintaining legroom.
          https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Mo...for-2021-debut

Hydrogen vehicles seem to have plateaued in their tech and the trucking industry seems to be investing in Electric Long Haul Trucks. These trucks are probably close to a decade away from being competitive in range though. Solid-State batteries will be the game changer here as well.

Big Rigs Begin to Trade Diesel for Electric Motors
          Tractor-trailer fleets will take time to electrify, and start-ups and established truck makers are racing to get their models on the road.
          On average, it costs about $1.38 per mile to operate a diesel truck, according to the trucking information website TruckInfo.net; $70,000 of the $180,000 annual operating cost is fuel, and $15,000 goes toward maintenance. Tesla, by comparison, estimates its electric Semi will cost $1.26 per mile.
          https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/b...-big-rigs.html
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
            Discussing the conversion to renewable energy sources and EVs is in what way political?

It is a discussion of emerging clean technologies and thus the future of the energy sector.
            Toyota, Tesla, VW, and Ford are all preparing for the solid-state batteries to come online. This is a real advancement in battery tech. This technology will lower cost, increase range, and reduce safety concerns in EVs while providing increased capacity for commercial/residential energy storage systems.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Mo...for-2021-debut

Hydrogen vehicles seem to have plateaued in their tech and the trucking industry seems to be investing in Electric Long Haul Trucks. These trucks are probably close to a decade away from being competitive in range though. Solid-State batteries will be the game changer here as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/b...-big-rigs.html
            LOL.
            Your avalanche of "evidence,"
            which is not really "evidence."
            I am reminded of the political nature of EVERYTHING,
            as I drive past one of the main buildings at the Tesla factory, 360 days per year.
            This building used to have a "Solyndra" sign on it.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

There's potential breakthroughs in polymer and carbide based artificial photosynthesis with ~60% efficiency, compared to solar cells which cap in the low 20s, which would solve the fuel production cost issue. I don't know if H2 gas storage has improved, still takes space.

For local scope commercial/industrial/utility vehicles in industries I'm adjacent to the simple payback from switching from diesel to electric is like 2 years.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

LOL.
                Your avalanche of "evidence,"
                which is not really "evidence."
                I am reminded of the political nature of EVERYTHING,
                as I drive past one of the main buildings at the Tesla factory, 360 days per year.
                This building used to have a "Solyndra" sign on it.
                You’re definition of “avalanche” must be different than mine as I only listed 2 reference articles. I can list 100’s more pertinent articles and the statistical information provided by both the department of energy about renewable energy expansion and Argonne National Laboratory Energy Systems Division about the vertical sales ascension of EV over the last 8-10 years that the market has been in place.

https://www.anl.gov/es/light-duty-el...-sales-updates

What do you consider evidence? As the information I posted in my previous post was not up-to snuff.

The political angle I don’t get. I also never understood how facial masks became political.
                Science in general (scientific method/testable-repeatable results), engineering, medical/health sciences are not political.

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Well, it seems there's not enough stuff that is bat shit crazy. Now comes the Ford F-150 plug in electric, "The Lightning." It sounds too Tampa. It is also ridiculous. We all know Henry Ford subsidized NAZI Germany.

If one is getting one of those plug ins, it should be the appropriate size and name. Get a Chevy "Bolt."
                  Or one of those little BMWs with the two cylinder diesel charging motor.

2022 Tundra will have twin turbo 3.5 V6 with a powerful hybrid electric motor. 480 HP. 682 lb/ft Torque @ 30 mpg.

FTR.
                  FFMC.

:fight:

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

I’ll definitely take the better performance of an all electric motor in torque, power, and instant acceleration vs a gas/diesel motor.
                    Electric motors require almost zero maintenance and have a far superior price per mile cost than any gas/diesel/hybrid engines.

How Do Gasoline & Electric Vehicles Compare?

Another significant difference between electric vehicles and gasoline-powered vehicles is the number of moving parts. The electric vehicle has one moving part, the motor, whereas the gasoline-powered vehicle has hundreds of moving parts. Fewer moving parts in the electric vehicle leads to another important difference. The electric vehicle requires less periodic maintenance and is more reliable. The gasoline-powered vehicle requires a wide range of maintenance, from frequent oil changes, filter replacements, periodic tune ups, and exhaust system repairs, to the less frequent component replacement, such as the water pump, fuel pump, alternator, etc.
                    The electric vehicle‘s maintenance requirements are fewer and therefore the maintenance costs are lower. The electric motor has one moving part, the shaft, which is very reliable and requires little or no maintenance. The controller and charger are electronic devices with no moving parts, and they require little or no maintenance. State-of-the-art lead acid batteries used in current electric vehicles are sealed and are maintenance free. However, the life of these batteries are limited and will require periodic replacement. New batteries are being developed that will not only extend the range of electric vehicles, but will also extend the life of the battery pack which may eliminate the need to replace the battery pack during the life of the vehicle.

Not only are electric vehicles easier and cheaper to maintain, they are also more efficient than the gasoline engine and are therefore cheaper to operate. Based on an electric vehicle efficiency of 3 miles/kwhr and the cost of electricity at 7" per kwhr, the electric vehicle will travel about 43 miles for $1.00. Based on an average of 22 mpg for gasoline vehicles and a gasoline cost of $1.25/gal, the gasoline-powered vehicle will go about 18 miles. Thus, the distance that can be traveled for a fuel cost of $1.00 is more than twice as far with an electric vehicle

Electric Cars vs. Gas Cars: Everything You Need to Know

While the price of gas varies over time and location, the national average for a gallon of gas was $2.81 in June 2019. If a standard ICE car holds about 14 gallons on average, that means it cost just under $40 to fill up the average tank.

While a vehicle's range can also vary, most need to be filled up every 250-300 miles traveled. Fuel efficient vehicles have higher MPGs, meaning they need to be filled up less often -- and cost you the least per mile. Thus, a car that is rated at 45 MPG, for example, will cost you less in terms of fuel than one with a rating of 25 MPG.

The electricity that powers EVs can come from a variety of sources. Electricity is produced from burning gas or coal, or from renewable sources such as hydropower, wind, and solar.

In comparison, the national average cost of one kilowatt of electricity is $0.14 per hour. The standard EV takes about 7.2 kWh/hour to reach a full charge of about 50 kWh. That means the average cost of a full EV charge is $6.86.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                      Superbowl?
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Los Angeles/Chicago
                      • Send PM

Anyone interested in purchasing a 1985 Buick Riviera 60k miles?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

I have a great deal of familiarity of the performance capabilities of plug in electric vehicles, and have had that from the early days of Tesla.

I simply do not care for plug ins, electrics or hybrids, and relinquish my role as OP of a thread that I did not start, and creator of a post that rightly should have pointed in an entirely different direction.

:threadhijack: before it was started.

This is an outrage.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

I like the internal combustion engine, with appropriate smog equipment.

There's a gas station on every corner.

Hybrids rule.

KMA Elon.

Comment

Working...
                          X