• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chess - A discussion of Rank and File

I'm a chess fan, been playing for fun since I was a teen. I recently started watching and researching Bobby Fischer and how Bobby would find Russian books on chess and Bobby learned Russian, so he could translate them, very enlightening. Bobby could memorize and had photographic memory and could recall two centuries of Russian chess moves - to personally avoid a false move. An absolute prodigy. Who mentally collapsed.

Then, Paul Morphy, greatest chess player of his era, from America, who in the 19th century, was such a dazzling player, he went to England and France and played in the chess rooms and dominated all comers in London and the salons of Europe. He too, mentally collapsed far worse than Bobby.

Judit Polgar is my favorite player, a prodigy since age 11, her use of knights is flat out fucking dazzling.

My game: Chess open, I use a Sicilian Offense because it stalls a Sicilian Defense, as knights in the hands of a capable opponent, is game over.

I castle, then play rope-a-dope and try to withstand any attack being thrown at me. I can lose all but the Queen & bishop. Then, as you re-group, I counter-attack, coming after you with those two, depending on which side you castled.

That is my game.

What is your understanding of chess? I am curious to know.

Check.

• screeme18
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2019
    • Send PM

I'm a big fan (Board gaming in general, but that can definitely be traced back to chess).

I exist in a place where I've read some, and researched more than the average player.. so I can generally take out an average player. But anybody who has spent much time on the game, I have difficulty with. I mostly stick with basic openings, and try to get my pieces in good positions to take advantage of mistakes when they happen. Inevitably I move to fast and overlook something dumb. It gets me every time.. haha..

My son has taken to the game now, and we spend a lot of time playing. He can take him pretty easily at a chess board, but he wipes me clean online. I just don't see the online chess board as clearly, I think.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by screeme18 View Post
      I'm a big fan (Board gaming in general, but that can definitely be traced back to chess).

I exist in a place where I've read some, and researched more than the average player.. so I can generally take out an average player. But anybody who has spent much time on the game, I have difficulty with. I mostly stick with basic openings, and try to get my pieces in good positions to take advantage of mistakes when they happen. Inevitably I move to fast and overlook something dumb. It gets me every time.. haha..

My son has taken to the game now, and we spend a lot of time playing. He can take him pretty easily at a chess board, but he wipes me clean online. I just don't see the online chess board as clearly, I think.
      I have been watching a good chess channel on Youtube but I still make such idiot plays at times, I never seem to get any better. I watched a documentary on Bobby Fischer and he learned Russian so he could translate the really good texts on the subject, which the Russians had a much deeper instruction than Fischer found in the English chess literature.

Comment

• screeme18
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I have been watching a good chess channel on Youtube but I still make such idiot plays at times, I never seem to get any better. I watched a documentary on Bobby Fischer and he learned Russian so he could translate the really good texts on the subject, which the Russians had a much deeper instruction than Fischer found in the English chess literature.
        I've watched a few. My son is a big fan of GothamChess on YouTube. We watch a lot of his videos, they'r enot instructional per se, but I do learn a lot. If nothing else, I learn how I don't see the chess board nearly anything like a grandmaster does. haha.. My thing, really is, if I come up with some sort of plan, I'll get myself too wrapped up in it and fail to pay enough attention to what my opponant is doing. I wonder if that Russian thing is still true. Probably not anymore... The Russians don't seem to have the stranglehold on the game they once did.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍