• Show
Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

I dropped 50 lbs last year and kept it off for the past 7 months, staying below 230. Down from 283 a year ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
    My A1c was 7.9 on Mar on 30 so I rejoined 24 hr fitness and walk every day. I took nutritional classes at kaiser permanente while work was slow, and in 3 months my A1c had dropped to 5.9.
    I made a bunch of permanent modifications to my diet that I felt I could live with and I log everything I eat or drink into an app. I use myfitnesspal.
    So basically... more veggies, moderate regular exercise, and diligent portion control.
    It worked, and the weight is still off.
    One thing I learned is you can't starve yourself. Make sure you get enough minimum calories, and enough nutrition or your body will work against your weight loss goal. The app really helps with that, and I highly recommend seeing a nutritionist or taking a course so you know what you are eating.
    Diet and exercise actually works. Who knew?
    Cheers
    M Hoarse
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
      SDFan commented
      Editing a comment
      good stuff there
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
    So, about 18 months ago or so, I changed my diet. I've been eating loads of vegetables and non-processed meats. I think the only thing I eat that's processed is cheese. I have the occasional light beer with my friends and then there are those weed edibles, but they are so strong, I barely take a part of a bite every other day or so.

At first, my weight dropped from 220 to 180, and I thought I had my answer to being fit. But, since then, for no reason I can figure out, my weight has crept back to 200. My calorie count can't get over 1,000 in a day very often. I went to get my thyroid checked, but my thyroid is normal. So I don't get it.

Anybody else fat for no reason? Is it genetics? My dad was fat, but he drank a ton. The rest of my family is thin, so that doesn't make sense either.

On the positive side, my cholesterol levels, my blood pressure, and my blood/sugar are all outstanding. I might be a 100 year old fat man if being fat, in itself, doesn't kill me.
    You HAVE TO exercise pretty much daily to go along with whatever else you do. There's no way around that. Also, portions and time of day have a lot to do with maintaining, losing or gaining LBs. My worst meal of the day is lunch. If I go over about 300 calories at lunch I can't lose weight no matter what else I do or don't do each day.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

So I've done a vegetarian diet for about a month. I lost a lot of weight initially, and, since then, my weight has consistently been about 195. It has worked better than just plain low-carb, but I'm still not losing weight like I hoped.

I'm going to stick with the diet and am now walking about an hour a day. I also do sit-ups and squats. Nothing is really changing yet, but I'm going to give it more time.
      Last edited by thelightningwill; 04-07-2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍