• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Free Solo

Ive watched this probably 5 times in the last week. Ive never been more moved by someones journey to conquer the impossible.

If you have not seen this Doc you have to check it out. It really had an impact on me.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I really hope that no one tries that climb without the preparation and experience Alex did, but someone will. But beyond the feat, it was a great piece of movie making and story telling. You know the ending, but still are shaking with horror that all it would take is just that little mistake, and like (heh) he's gone. The photography is just amazing, even the blocking for the shots is kind of terrifying in itself. Delightful.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

I would imagine he will end his reign of being perfect on these solos. Hes bound to make a mistake. I just cant help but feel we will hear about his death. I hope not. But thats sometimes how it goes with guys like that.

Ill admit i broke down kind of hard after watching it the first time. I knew the result. But it meant so much to me personally. To accomplish something seemingly so impossible.

Almost a metaphor for life. I struggle with some things. Pain at times. I have battled some traumatic depression as well. It just fortified a mindset of never looking back nor giving up for me.

I sent the guy a message thanking him. lol Thats how much it meant to me.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Even though he wasn't diagnosed, I do think that Alex did inherit some of the Asperger's Syndrome from his father. His accomplishment is so beyond normal, however he had such an external even temperament to completing the climb, it was almost anticlimatic in my view. It seems like all the other stuff in his life is so secondary though, such as buying a refrigerator... or maybe that's what the filmmakers wanted you to see.

Amazing things happen everyday, but we don't hear of them, as well as really bad things. Its rare that something gets documented like this.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          Even though he wasn't diagnosed, I do think that Alex did inherit some of the Asperger's Syndrome from his father. His accomplishment is so beyond normal, however he had such an external even temperament to completing the climb, it was almost anticlimatic in my view. It seems like all the other stuff in his life is so secondary though, such as buying a refrigerator... or maybe that's what the filmmakers wanted you to see.

Amazing things happen everyday, but we don't hear of them, as well as really bad things. Its rare that something gets documented like this.
          Definitely detected some possible lack of social skills.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Just watched The Dawn Wall. Epic.

Comment

• UtahBolt
              Did we win?
              • Jun 2013
              • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
              • Send PM

My girls and I watched Free Solo the other night and were blown away...damn what an amazing movie. I found it fascinating how his friends would do anything to help him in his endeavor but they all seemed to have this deep down reservation that he is going to kill himself someday and they don't want to be there to see it. What an amazing guy Alex is, but yeah, my brother has Asperger's and I would think the there is a high probability that Alex has that as well.
              I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Check out the Dawn Wall. Equally as moving Utah.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

I watched this about a month ago. Holy!

Even knowing that he was going to make it, my heart was in my throat!
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

The Last Breath and The Dawn Wall were 2 great docs you guys should watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍