• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
    I was right there with you until today with LeBron wanting max salary. There's only a few teams that can do that, and even fewer, including the Lakers and Heat, that can do that AND still get another big free agent. I thought the Lakers had no shot at him, but they have enough room for LeBron, Kobe, another big FA, Randle and Pau who would likely return for the exemption. LeBron will probably resign with the Heat (and I'm ok with that), but the Lakers should be able to make a pitch that makes him think a little.
    LeBron needs to win now. He's te best player in the game with a legacy that will be tarnished without more rings.

The Lakeshow is obviously not winning anything next year and will be in rebuild mode in 2015. It's not a good option for him
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      LeBron needs to win now. He's te best player in the game with a legacy that will be tarnished without more rings.

The Lakeshow is obviously not winning anything next year and will be in rebuild mode in 2015. It's not a good option for him
      I agree, but Mitch is up to something... things are too quiet around there. Just like the year they pulled the Nash trade out of the hat. Now that didn't work out, but there was NO hint that that particular deal was "in the works".

I'm prepared to be surprised.

Still like to see George Karl or Messina as coach. If they get Karl, they need a top notch defensive minded assistant.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

From Zach Lowe's Free Agency Breakdown on Grantland

Los Angeles Lakers: They, like, literally do not have a team for next season. They have max-level cap room, they’re almost certainly going to strike out on the biggest free agents, and they voluntarily gave the league’s biggest annual salary to a lunatic competitor who is turning 36 and coming off two devastating injuries to important body parts.

Kobe Bryant and rebuilding do not mix well. The Lakers are in perhaps the league’s most desirable market, and they can load up on wacky two-year deals with an eye on being competitive in the years leading to Durant’s free agency.

It’s impossible to overstate how terrified other teams are of a desperate Lakers team with needs at almost every position.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
          I agree, but Mitch is up to something... things are too quiet around there. Just like the year they pulled the Nash trade out of the hat. Now that didn't work out, but there was NO hint that that particular deal was "in the works".

I'm prepared to be surprised.

Still like to see George Karl or Messina as coach. If they get Karl, they need a top notch defensive minded assistant.
          I don't see surprises. No assets to trade and a market with only a few guys that are 1st tier players. And really not worth chasing the big names.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Report: Lakers ‘have moved into serious contention’ to land Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo Anthony wrapped up his free agent tour a couple of days ago, after stops in Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Los Angeles. He also met with Phil Jackson about a return to the Knicks after all other meetings had finished, and would reportedly be taking the weekend to decide where he wanted to sign for the next four or five seasons.

It was thought to be a two-team race between New York and Chicago. The Knicks could offer the most money over five years, while the Bulls could offer a chance to immediately contend for a title by adding Anthony to the roster.

But perhaps somewhat surprisingly, the meeting with the Lakers went so well that L.A. has become a real option for Anthony to consider.

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Lakers have moved into serious contention on Carmelo Anthony, multiple sources tell Yahoo. “In the game now,” one source close to Melo says.

As one source in process says of Lakers bid, “They can promise max money without any (roster) moves needing to be made.” 4 years, $97M.

The Lakers and their willingness to go with a four-year max offer was intriguing at the time, because of all the non-Knicks teams pursuing Anthony, L.A. is the only one currently able to go that high. The Bulls could be up to $25 million light over the lifetime of a deal, and they would still have to make some roster decisions just to free up the money necessary to get Anthony to sign.

It’s unclear what L.A. can offer from a winning standpoint that New York can’t, at least in the immediate future. If you believe Kobe Bryant will return to a level somewhere close to the one he was able to play at before suffering his last two serious injuries, and you believe that Pau Gasol may be more likely to re-sign with Anthony committed, then yes, next season the Lakers would be in a better position to win than the Knicks.

Over the long haul, though, things become a bit murkier at best.

It seems as though New York (money) and Chicago (winning) are the two places that would make the most sense for Anthony to choose. Something about the Lakers has piqued his interest, however, and we’ll find out soon enough if Los Angeles truly has enough of an overall package to entice Anthony to sign.

===========

Melo reminds me of Dwight Howard. A guy that wants it to be all about him but doesn't put in the work or make those around him better.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

He's all about the money, not winning. Why wouldn't this idiot running the Lakers throw $100M at him? Its the stupid thing to do.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Where are the posts about the NBA draft? Shouldn't most of these be under..."Lakeshow?" Seems the more appropriate place for the LBJ, Melo, Durant and Love fantasies.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  He's all about the money, not winning. Why wouldn't this idiot running the Lakers throw $100M at him? Its the stupid thing to do.
                  It would make the Lakers better but I don't think it's the right move. The Lakers should be building for 2015-2016. Not looking for the quick fix.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

I'll reserve judgment on Melo.

He's a great player, there's no doubt about that.

I always remember when he played with the Nuggets and the Lakers played them in the playoffs, he was just frightening to cheer against. You put him with a couple good players, and they could be good (not great). He does play good team basketball when playing with Team USA for what that's worth.

That said, I'm not saying I'm for it...I'm just not necessarily against it.

Randle is going to start from Day 1... (bringing this back to the draft, for BKR)

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If the plan is Melo, and he ends up signing with them, then I hope they hold off on other big signings until 2015. The 3 guys that were playing a pickup game at UCLA on Sunday(Kobe, Melo & Love) wouldn't be a bad top 3.
                      Last edited by oneinchpunch; 07-08-2014, 05:25 AM.
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoDak
                        • Technology Director
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        If the plan is Melo, and he ends up signing with them, then I hope they hold off on other big signings until 2015. The 3 guys that were playing a pickup game at UCLA on Sunday(Kobe, Melo & Love) wouldn't be a bad top 3.
                        That or somehow trade for Love. I know there are no assets to trade to MN except for Nash, which is why I said "somehow". Perhaps you could sign and trade Pau? Maybe he'd want to play with Rubio? (I'm reaching, I know this)

I do agree that would be a pretty good start for a top 3 players. And having young Randle alongside would help.

Who knows what will happen...they'll probably strike out on all their options, and we'll wait until next year, like you have mentioned numerous times.

Comment

Working...
                        X