• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    If we draft a true LB, then Perryman is gone. He is a good enough LB he deserves a chance to play going into his FA year, especially with the way he finished last year. No sense demoting him to part time player. Maybe we can trade him for a later pick.

He missed 1/4 of 2016 and 1/2 of 2018. Yes he plays well and makes a difference on our D...WHEN he can play. The issue hasn't been talent, it is his health and lack of depth behind him. He has already been a part time player due to health.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

But now he would be a healthy scratch. We kinda have to let him go

Comment

• blueman
        blueman commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s smart, let’s get a different starting LB, but keep the same so-so backups.

Steve, we play multiple LBs significant snaps. We do. We need better players for those snaps to win the games we keep losing. Don’t get rid of Perryman, keep him AND whatever high-pick LBs we get in this draft. It’ll make the team better.
    • Screeme
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the reasoning. Perryman when he was on the field, is the best LB'er on the team. But, do we not still have Hayes Pullard and Kyle Emmanuel taking a significant number of snaps at LB? Both LB positions that could be upgraded, without jettisoning our best LB on the team...? So why does taking a Linebacker mean we're going to jettison Perryman?

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

IT is the fair thing to do. Perryman is playing at a very high level, but the only way he can justify a top FA contract is to get on the field and stay there. He can't do that with us.

Second is that I don't think there is a LB in this year's draft who can get him off the field if he is healthy. You might as well give the pick to another team if you are going to take a top pick on D to let him sit and not play.

If the issue is that he can't stay healthy, then why would we continue. The point is that we need to get a player on the field right? The only way that happens is if we draft someone and PLAY them. We only play 1 LB at a time on most of our plays. The rest of the LB are role players. Goalline and short yardage situations. You want to draft a relatively high pick to only come in and make a tackle. I'm not saying you shouldn't draft them, but guys who don't make impact plays (sacks or int) are late round picks. And if we are going to wait for Perryman to leave next year, do it next year.

Use the draft picks on a player who will get to play.

We need to upgrade Addae, Boston and Phillips. Is there any doubt that any of those guys is anything more than an average player?

Sure, they are all coming off career years, but that is about all the production we can hope for from any of them. Again, those 3 guys were on the field for 50% of Phillips, despite missing time at the end of the season and not starting until game 5. Addae was on the field all but a handful of plays, same with Boston. They are all fair players, but if average guys can produce like they did, what would good players who will DEFINITELY be on the field do? Besides, they are the guys who are going to do most of the run stuffing. S are the guys who are on the field when teams actually do run the ball.

How about Liuget and Mebane? They were nothing more than average, and we use 2 DT in all but the really obvious passing situations.

If we want to upgrade our LB, there will be a second run on LB in the next 2 waves of FA. There will be some in the next month immediately after the draft. These will be the cap casualties. Why will there be a lot of LB In the cap casualties? Because teams want players who make impact plays, and these guys don't, so they will be cut after they look at the roster post draft. There will be another set after June 1st for the same reason.

A little prediction. All the ILB types who got all these big money deals will ALL be cap casualties in the next 2 years.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Panamamike commented
          Editing a comment
          Addae?? I am puzzled by the lack of appreciation for his play and yearly improvement. He is not a spot i would be looking as a needed upgrade.

We absolutely neeed to upgrade the middle of the DL and LB depth. Can you honestly count on Perryman to be available each week? Yes our run D is much improved when he plays...problem is he has missed 12 of our last 32 games. He also can't cover for shit. I would like hurst or Payne in rd 1. If we get a chance later to get a guy that can play the run and pass i am all about taking him. He will get snaps this year and let perryman walk next year.

And fair thing to do??? Fuck fair. I want the most talent on my roster i can get. He can worry about his FA when the time comes. That is zero concern to me, nor should it be to TT. He is still on his rookie deal, and what comes next is yet to be seen. Another i jury plagued year and our D suffers and he gets bargain bin money on a prove it deal.
          Last edited by Panamamike; 04-13-2018, 08:49 AM.
      • Gilded Pickle
        outside looking in
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I haven't had a chance to catch up on previous posts, so I'm sorry if this question is obvious but whatever happened to the conditional 7th round pick for Dontrelle Inman? Is it for 2019? Did it go away?

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Gilded Pickle View Post
          I haven't had a chance to catch up on previous posts, so I'm sorry if this question is obvious but whatever happened to the conditional 7th round pick for Dontrelle Inman? Is it for 2019? Did it go away?
          Its still a mystery. We didn't get anything this yer.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
            chargerkdb commented
            Editing a comment
            Its a 19 7th
        • Gilded Pickle
          outside looking in
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

WTF? That sucks.

Thanks F21

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Im willing to bet Bradley would prefer a Smith, Posluzny, Jack type scenario. A Wright and Wagner type scenario. Deion Jones and Devandre Campbell etc. I think Brown struggled. And Phillips was getting his snaps because Brown was struggling to pick up the D. Thats what Bradley himself said in the Eric Williams article. Perryman cant stay healthy. If he walks after this year should we not have at least one stud at LB?

Interior DL guys were also 45% snap guys and yes they need to be upgraded. But would we also not be wasting a 1st round pick on a player that is just part time? If Poe was on our team last year would he have been part time? And if not would that suggest that Bradley might be simply going with part time players because of fits and checks? He always talks about Fits and Checks. And he consistently mentions perimeter contain and poor tackling as a huge negative for us. Guys were not picking things up scheme wise. So he was throwing a bunch of ingredients into the cake or at least thats how it looked to me last year. I think he wants to evolve. And look more like his defenses in the past.

Frankly im sort of tired of the snap count discussion. I think we need some speed and youth at LB. And obviously some availability. Lynn came out and said LB was a huge need. That it was a major reason we struggled against the run. I think we could get LB..... and Perryman is versatile enough to play in and out.

I like Vander Esch. I think hes a stud MLB at the next level. But he can turn an run in coverage so he may be an Otto type. I think he can do a little of both. I also really like Rashaan Evans. Both of these guys with Perryman give us more of a Bradley type D.

I saw Pullard Emmanuel and Toomer on the field at the same time more than i would prefer last year. It was brutal. I really think we will see Bradley get some guys in this draft to get closer to emulating what we see other teams doing.

Philly - Bradham/Kendricks
              Falcons - Jones/Campbell
              Jags - Poz/Smith/Jack
              Seahawks - Wagner/Wright
              Vikings - Kendricks/Barr
              Panthers - Kuechly/Davis/Thomson

I just think we are short at least one stud LB and a DT. Now that doesnt even mean the first round is where we get that player. Do we use the players we do in nickel and dime or even use that scheme out of necessity? Do we do the things we do because of a lack of talent? Are we trying to get our best players that were grasping Bradleys D on the field at the same time? I dont know. It just feels like Bradley is once again using the ingredients he has to try and create a cake. I expect him to draft a LB. Im banking on it.

I just look at Bradleys history and i dont see the things we saw with our team last year on D. I see multiple highly capable and fast LBs. And i totally expect us to be in the LB game come draft time.

Id prefer him in the 2nd but my sleeper 1st rounder is this kid. They have been all over him.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Panamamike commented
                Editing a comment
                I think he will be available in the 2nd and perhaps the third rd too. I agree a LB will be taken, I am just not sure when. It will depend on their clusters and how things shake out. I will be surprised if Payne and Hurst are available and one of them is not our first rd pick. DL that can penetrate, collapse the pocket, yet play the run well are highly desirable. I think the LB can be had in rd 2 or 3. OT may be a value play on those rds too. i see a lot of depth in this draft, and am very excited about Lamp and M Williams in addition to this year’s picks. I also think Jenkins may see a bigger role on D too. There are a LOT of options and ways we can go, but I think our roster is going to be very talented.

Rds 1-4 I anticipate some order of DL, LB, S, OT.
            • Screeme
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Stock up your team with good players, and the good players will see the field. You can talk about snap counts all you want, but I guarantee Vea, Payne, would see the field. Rashaan Evans (I also like) would make a great tandem with Perryman. He'll see the field. Get better players, work out the details. I mean, I feel like this is starting to get analyzed to death.. we can only look at these players, because they'll play more? Makes no sense to me... as though personnel had nothing to do with those decisions as well. Phillips and Brown is a perfect example. If Brown had been on the field, the stats would have shown way more LBer snaps. Since Phillips is a S, DB's got those snaps. If they can play, they will find the field. With Perryman I still saw a lot of Emmanuel and Pullard, even on the field with Perryman. Wouldn't Evans look so much better in that spot? Make our D better. Give our LBers more depth, should Perryman get hurt again? Resign Dzubner to the special team role he is meant for.

Take the best player. Take a guy that makes us better. Again, I like Vea.. I've watched the clips Steve posted, and I still see the same thing. Dude abuses Olinemen.. I even watched a handful of "Analysis" clips that were linked from those, and I can't find anyone that doesn't think he's a sure fire first rounder. But, I'd be happy with Payne. I'd be happy with Evans. They all are better than what we have and make the team better. Snaps or not.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Two other perspectives then:

1). We have zero depth in the secondary (even though the S I want are playing on the 2nd level, not the secondary).

2). If we play more nickel D, that leaves the 3 CB matched up against 3 WR, 1LB vs the TE and will leave a LB vs a RB. So how comfortable are you with Vander Esch/Edmunds/Jefferson matchup with the Kamara or Hunt one on one in space? Or would you rather have another S up close to the line to draw that pass coverage responsibility?

Panama, the point with Perryman is not treating him like a piece of meat. He is a person who has played well for the organization. if we are basically going to be getting rid of him now, just pull the trigger and do it.

It keeps the locker room chemistry good because players do appreciate not being taken for granted and treated like cattle. Players do notice when the team treats one of them like crap. Besides, if you look a the stats for Perryman, the stats are virtually the same whether he played or not. For every yard we stopped giving up vs the run (which may have been because we got big leads in several of them) we gave up more yards passing.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  chargerkdb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We held Hunt in check receiving ( 8 catches, 60yds) but he absolutely shredded us rushing (325)

• Panamamike
                  Panamamike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How could you ever say treated like a piece of crap? He has a contract, and yes a rookie deal. He has flashed....but he has missed 3/8ths of every game for the last 2 years. U are treating him like a veteran player that has actually proved it over time and earned the rights to which you refer.
              • Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

FS is also a need. But you cant go into the draft expecting 1 of 2 guys to be there in the 1st. James or Fitzpatrick. If they draft Harrison SS, LB or DT that would be awesome. These are the 3 positions of need imo. Im fine with that.

You just make it sound like we have no need whatsoever at LB. And that you cant start one along with Perryman. Yet we saw it last year and it was pretty terrible. Why cant we add too Perryman? We need help against the run. DT and LB were specifically mentioned by Lynn. So i base my projections on what coaches are saying as well.

I just dont get the let him walk talk since we are drafting another LB. I dont think its to replace him. I think its to add to the LB core.

Im very comfortable with Evans spying a RB. Didnt we draft Jenkins? Isnt he kind of expected to play that in the box safety role? I certainly havnt ruled him out. He was a pretty high pick in the 4th. I think the saftey you are talking about is probably him. He may not have shown it last year but hes so young. We drafted the position its just about developing now.

Im ready for a freak athlete in the LB core.

Ill leave it at that.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Panamamike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Safety is the deepest position in the draft. It is why nobody is throwing cash at the FA safeties before the draft.
              Working...
              X