Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
    I mean, I don't have any game tape to watch.. just highlight reels, which are pretty biased. im the first to admit, I'm not an expert at this. .........

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

You don't actually need to watch all of them, one or two is probably enough.

When I read a lot of people's reviews of Vea, they keep seeing Haloti Ngata, the great Ravens player who is just signed with the Eagles. There are some physical similarities, but if you watch him play (DT, #96) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ear45a96pHc), he plays like an NFL DL. There was no projecting him being something that he wasn't. He needed to refine his technique and raise his level of play, but he was basically what you wanted in a DT.

It's not that I am totally against drafting Vea. I am against drafting him in the 1st round. I really don't like the idea of drafting a guy at #17 who is a huge project. There are other projects (Settle?) who are projects but can be had later in the draft. If Vea is still there in the 4th round (unlikely), I am totally onboard to draft him.

Vea is a fantastic physical specimen. I think, if you get everything right in coaching him, he can turn into a great player. But he is a project, and there are guys who have the physical skills like Vea every year and most never develop into anything. It's always a risk when you try to turn a player from what he is (a catcher) to a what you want him to be (penetrator).

I just don't think a 1st round guy is where you want to do it.
    Last edited by Steve; 04-10-2018, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• Screeme
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I know who Haloti Ngata is. Hahaha.. I have been watching and following football and the draft for eons now. (In addition, you're unlikely to stump me on UW, OSU or UO guys being as I live in Washington just north of Portland, OR. So I see a shit ton load of those college games. (Not so many WSU, ironic since that is where I went to college).

When I say I'm not a pro at this I just mean, I never played, I've never broken down tape. I don't know what to look for exactly to see technique, etc. My understanding of "5 technique" "3 technique" etc is rudimentary. (I do eat this stuff up when I find information about it though, so I'm trying to learn more.) But my knowledge of NFL players and guys that get drafted is good. That is where I get sheepish about picking players I think we might take.

To my eyes, what we really are wanting is somebody who can step in and spell and eventually take over for Mebane. I think Philon can move in and be effective at Liugets spot. So, we need a big strong Nose type. Honestly, your evaluation is literally the only one I've seen that doesn't think he's a sure fire first rounder. Which is curious to me, because I really value your insight and opinion, you clearly have a ton of knowledge that I do not, and are always on the ball. So, I'm not trying to out football you or anything. I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I'm having trouble piecing it together with the guy I have seen a lot and the general consensus is all.

This is all likely academic anyway, it seems he will probably be gone before our pick.

Comment

• blueman
        blueman commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m guessing he drops.
    • Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

There are scouts like Mike Mayock who seem to get a hardon for guys like Vea. George Young (Giants GM in the Parcells era) called it being a "Planet Person". There are only so many people on the planet who are big enough, strong enough, athletic enough to be a DL like him. So the fact that he is a big project is not all that relevant.

When I go back and look at the draft picks who have had immediate success and usually a long-term success, I tend to see guys who are decent fundamentals, who play like NFL players. Sure, there are some projects who develop, but they are not that common. So, going off of that, you have to think that Vea is not going to be kinda a high-risk prospect. I am not saying that by any stretch I have a crystal ball. Just seems like the odds are on the side of what generally happens.

As far as adding a NT, I think Da'Ron Payne is the best prospect, and it isn't really close between him and Vea, IMHO. Payne is a better fit at NT than 3 technique, although I think he can play both. Vea would be a better prospect "IF" he pans out, but Payne is a pretty accomplished DL at a school that puts them into the NFL early and often. Payne is the best interior DL from Alabama since Marcell Dareus. If I had my choice, I think he would be the ideal choice at DT, even if Vea is available.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I read Vea has short arms...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          Also narrow shoulders.

• chargerkdb
          chargerkdb commented
          Editing a comment
          But he has impeccable hygeine
      • charger1993
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
        I read Vea has short arms...
        Shhhh dont say that, the chsrgers love drafting people with short arms. Dont give them any ideas.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

I just get this vibe....

Comment

• bonehead
            bonehead commented
            Editing a comment
            Have heard the Roquon Smith medical red flag rumors

• Formula 21
            Formula 21 commented
            Editing a comment
            8 picks, 4 SAMS.

• chargerkdb
            chargerkdb commented
            Editing a comment
            Edmunds Dad and Bosa's Dad were team mates on the Dolphins. Both have fathers and brothers who will be NFL players. Im probably overthinking this. Haha
        • bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          I just get this vibe....

Sounds like Vander Esch could be the guy
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Fowler was most likely a Leo. I got hung up on his OLB profile. I did think he was slotted to play SAM on early downs and then DE on pass rushing downs.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

One thing to remember is that Jacksonville and Seattle both were able to add help at DT without using the draft. They needed to add help outside, so they did.

We have the outside (kinda sorta) filled, but need more help at DT. That being said, I don't necessarily see us drafting for need. Liuget and Mebane were OK last year. Plus, it's a deep draft at DT, so there is a good chance we can add someone later on, and that means we can add someone else that is a special guy at another position. And maybe that means displacing someone who is a solid player at another position in favor of a top guy

Myles Jack has been shifted around a lot in Jacksonville with Bradley. He was used initially at Will and played some Mike, before finally finding a home at SAM. I don't think Bradley sees him as an OTTO/SAM LB. In Seattle and most of the Jags stay, Bradley was looking for LEO type of guys and playing them at OTTO. Most 34 rush LB can not only be situational rushers, but can set the edge vs the run, and then shift to play DE on passing downs. It is a position that we can use to stash a player who is another pass rusher. I don't see a high pick necessarily playing much at OTTO, but could play the base 300 or so snaps at OTTO, then add another 200-300 snaps as a situational pass rusher.

Comment

• Formula 21
                Formula 21 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like Emmanuel.

• blueman
                blueman commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d be pretty happy to draft a special LB or DB over dline, cuz immediate upgrade. But even say Payne at 17, this draft is deep at solid-to-special LBs and DBs, we could likely grab an upgrade guy at 48 too.
            • Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

interesting prospect for us as a 4/3 DE
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

For those on the "Draft a LB" page.

Front offices across the NFL have begun their search for the next Alvin Kamara. They’d be better served looking for the defenders who are perfectly built to stop him.

Some pretty good points in there.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  chargerkdb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Another point to take is that the Barrs, McClains and Keuchly's dont grow on trees.
              • Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

If we draft a true LB, then Perryman is gone. He is a good enough LB he deserves a chance to play going into his FA year, especially with the way he finished last year. No sense demoting him to part time player. Maybe we can trade him for a later pick.

Comment

• blueman
                  blueman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The way he finished, you mean on IR? Didn’t we lose him (again) in the second KC game?

He can be a good LB for us, but he misses so much time I feel his backup needs to be at least as good. That’s a lot to put into a part time position.
              Working...
              X