• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

It's Hockenson or you are passing on the next Gronk.

:smh:
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I think he will be the 1st TE drafted.
      I think he should be. Just based on his skillset and potential. But he still needs work. Hockensen may be better now...but i dont think his ceiling is as high. Here is a good breakdown. I really like Matt Waldman.

​​​​​​
      Whether it's the data or the details on the field, the differences between a good and great player often seem minuscule. However, the outcome from a great player's execution -- or even a good player making a great play -- can generate an enormous difference on the field.

Whether it's a guard taking that full step forward into a blocking assignment to generate depth and leverage, a runner pointing the toe so his hips open and his cut is 15-25 degrees sharper, or a quarterback getting the midline of his back foot aligned with the target after sliding from interior pressure, one minuscule detail executed at the highest level by a single player can create a ripple effect for an entire play, drive, and game.

Study enough football and these tiny details begin to look like canyon-sized gaps. While the danger of examining these details is a loss of perspective of what's important overall, it's equally foolish to use that pitfall as a rationalization to ignore them entirely.

You can't become a more astute fan or analyst without getting into the details. You'll never attain a balanced perspective until you've been bogged down by the minutiae and learned to extricate yourself.

Noah Fant is a prospect where the details matter. One of the hundreds of college players standing at "the good side" of this canyon hoping to crossover to greatness, Fant is a marquee name among 2019's NFL Draft prospects who looks the part to the casual observer.

During his final two seasons at Iowa, he earned 69 catches, 1,013 yards, and 18 touchdowns -- including receptions of 65 and 68 yards. With George Kittle tearing up the NFL, the obvious framing for any Fant story is to superficially juxtapose Fant's game with Kittle's and tease readers with the possibility that Fant is the next big-play Iowa tight end to make Sundays his showcase.

There's no question that Fant is has the physical skills of a starting move tight end in the NFL. What remains to be seen is whether Fant has the technique and grit to elevate his game to match the sky-high expectations placed on him.

This play below is an example of where his game is lacking. It's a tiny detail but these tiny details are why he often fights the ball more than the casual observer notices.

Hockenson breakdown

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

High pick TE is a luxery pick for us. Would be nice to have two really good TEs but we just need so much. And we usually like to employ a blocking TE with two in the formation.
        Would be nice to have studs behind every starter. But the TE class is pretty good. May still get one.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-07-2019, 02:38 PM.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

TE makes a lot of sense. Especially if that TE can also line up in slot or out wide. TE help move the chains. TE help cash in redzone opportunities. Also, if Henry-TE misses games, or Mike Williams-WR misses games. Having a player like N.Fant-TE gives Rivers another mismatch.

I am thinking of 3rd down and Redzone with K.Allen-WR, M.Williams-WR, Henry-TE, Fant-TE, Gordon-RB

Can't double all of them. Rivers would feast in the red zone.

I think having 2 TE on field that have versatility to line up all over is much much better than having a guy like Benjamin who can't do much other than run fast. Rivers has done great things with 1 talented TE on the field. Give him 2.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            TE makes a lot of sense. Especially if that TE can also line up in slot or out wide. TE help move the chains. TE help cash in redzone opportunities. Also, if Henry-TE misses games, or Mike Williams-WR misses games. Having a player like N.Fant-TE gives Rivers another mismatch.

I am thinking of 3rd down and Redzone with K.Allen-WR, M.Williams-WR, Henry-TE, Fant-TE, Gordon-RB

I think having 2 TE on field that have versatility to line up all over is much much better than having a guy like Benjamin who can't do much other than run fast. Rivers has done great things with 1 talented TE on the field. Give him 2.
            Excellent football take. Having 2 combo TEs also help in the run game, in pass-pro, and increase red zone efficiency.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• glutton4Bolts
              glutton for punishment
              • Jan 2019
              • Lake Arrowhead, CA
              • Send PM

We scored a ton of points last year w/o a single impact TE. Having HH and MDub in the RZ is dangerous enough. Not saying that we shouldn't draft a TE at all... but not in the 1st couple of rounds. I am in favor of going heavy on D again in the early rounds. If we do select an offensive player early it should be an impact OT. Having a great OL is a far better indicator of a great offense than having two great TEs. This team is desperately thin at DT and ILB. DT, ILB and OT have to be upgraded somehow. It would also be nice to solve the FS situation... maybe draft one to compete with Jenkins or get one of the higher priced FA FS that are available this offseason. TT has put us in a great position for an extended run of success... He did it the right way as opposed to the all-in methodology employed by the Rams FO. That team is losing two of its best OL and their LT has pondered retirement. You add all the cash they spent on a RB with arthritic knees and you have to wonder whether their window has closed. If TT continues to draft well and can pick up another key FA at DT/ILB/FS that succeeds like Pouncey did for us and I think we can win consistently for a while.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Or we can just draft a WR to play slot or out wide. The only real thing another TE does is protect against injury to Henry. I wouldn't mind a talented TE but surely not in the first round.
                To beat teams like NE we need defense and OL.
                True you cant double all of them but you can rush Rivers so he can't get set to get them the ball.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Or we can just draft a WR to play slot or out wide. The only real thing another TE does is protect against injury to Henry. I wouldn't mind a talented TE but surely not in the first round.
                  To beat teams like NE we need defense and OL.
                  True you cant double all of them but you can rush Rivers so he can't get set to get them the ball.
                  12 personnel with 2 great TEs have more versatility, flexibilty and advantages.

I think it would improve the run game, improve the ability of team to trap and counter. And improve 3rd down conversions, & red zone conversions. And put more matchup problems on the field for defenses to deal with.

And there is also that added benefit that if the #1 TE goes out with injury you can continue to run your offense because you have the players to get it done.

If you only have 1 good TE and he goes down, then you have to call grandpa Gates to run 5yd post ups just to get something from a TE in the passing game.
                  And thats not much. The run game suffers, they can single the TE with no real threat of big plays. And slide coverage to squeeze widows to WRs because there is no fear of the TE doing anything special.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

12 personnel with 2 great TEs have more versatility, flexibilty and advantages.

I think it would improve the run game, improve the ability of team to trap and counter. And improve 3rd down conversions, & red zone conversions. And put more matchup problems on the field for defenses to deal with.

And there is also that added benefit that if the #1 TE goes out with injury you can continue to run your offense because you have the players to get it done.

If you only have 1 good TE and he goes down, then you have to call grandpa Gates to run 5yd post ups just to get something from a TE in the passing game.
                    And thats not much. The run game suffers, they can single the TE with no real threat of big plays. And slide coverage to squeeze widows to WRs because there is no fear of the TE doing anything special.

I get that about Gates but we don't need to draft a TE in the first round. The class is pretty good this year. Unlike the year we drafted Henry. That one was a weak one.
                    ​​​​​​I'd rather split out a WR wide or in the slot. Isabella would be great in the slot. I just assume they like WRs with more height and Emanuel Hall could be that guy too.

I think Green improves the run game more with Henry in the game. Both good blockers, Green exceptional
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-08-2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I get that about Gates but we don't need to draft a TE in the first round. The class is pretty good this year. Unlike the year we drafted Henry. That one was a weak one.
                      ​​​​​​I'd rather split out a WR wide or in the slot. Isabella would be great in the slot. I just assume they like WRs with more height and Emanuel Hall could be that guy too.

I think Green improves the run game more with Henry in the game. Both good blockers, Green exceptional

I agree its not a need. And I dont like drafting for need. I like free agency for need. I prefer they draft BPA. And when I am looking at players that might be on the board around bottom rd 1. I am seeing the chance of a TE being the BPA vs a D.Jeremiah top 50 prospects list. And I see N.Fant-TE as my selection.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

PRE-FREE AGENCY MOCK DRAFT

BY JOSH NORRIS

1. ARIZONA CARDINALS - QB KYLER MURRAY, OKLAHOMA

I so wanted to have the Raiders move up to one and go all in on Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown and Kyler Murray. Every report certainly points to the Cardinals taking Murray, but we only have to travel back 365 days to know draft reports at this point in the calendar do not matter. Sam Darnold was written in sharpie as the first pick last March. If you're going to fire a coach after one season to shift to an offensive-minded play-caller, it makes sense to go all in on the players he wants. Maybe that is the case here.

2. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS - EDGE NICK BOSA, OHIO STATE

49ers fans might be upset by another first round pick spent on a front seven player. Don't be, as Nick Bosa is eerily similar to his brother. Both are great athletes (80th percentile for Joey, 69th percentile for Nick) and both win in similar ways. Their patented move is a slap, swipe, rip to flatten out around the corner and get to the quarterback.

3. NEW YORK JETS - EDGE JOSH ALLEN, KENTUCKY

We have zero insight which of the trio of defensive players this will be. It seems like we've all been clamoring for the Jets to land a top tier edge rusher for years. While the focus should be on his pass rushing, Allen also displays uncommon comfort dropping into coverage.

4. OAKLAND RAIDERS - IDL QUINNEN WILLIAMS, ALABAMA

If the Cardinals do drop back to this stop, they would still secure one of the top 3 defenders. The Raiders drafted P.J. Hall and Maurice Hurst last year. Just think of that trio, in a rotation, fresh, wrecking offensive lines and creating interior disruption.

5. TAMPA BAY BUCS - EDGE RASHAN GARY, MICHIGAN

Rashan Gary won with athleticism in college. Rashan Gary tested in the 95th percentile at the NFL Combine. That part of his game will translate. Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers lacked edge talent with the Jets. This might turn it into a strength in their new roles.

6. NEW YORK GIANTS - EDGE MONTEZ SWEAT, MISSISSIPPI ST

I was a bit surprised that Dave Gettleman went with a running back over and edge rusher last season. He will never stop adding pieces to trenches. This pick makes even more sense if Olivier Vernon is dealt. I'd bet on Sweat's game translating after testing in the 97th percentile.

7. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - QB DWAYNE HASKINS, OHIO ST

Nick Foles might be on the roster next week. Even if he is signed, Haskins can still be in play. If the Jaguars were to self-scout, the two things that held them back last season were OL injuries and, more importantly, quarterback play that destroyed the momentum of the offense when asked to throw. Fix that area, at all costs.

8. DETROIT LIONS - TE T.J. HOCKENSON, IOWA

The Lions have been linked to tight ends for years during the draft process, and it makes sense with so many New England ties on the coaching staff and front office. Hockenson roaches linebackers when working as an inline tight end, and offers plenty of receiving upside.

9. BUFFALO BILLS - WR HAKEEM BUTLER, IOWA ST

The goal of the offseason should be to make the offense easier for Josh Allen. There's an argument that Allen succeeds outside of structure, and perhaps is even more comfortable there. I'm surprised Butler isn't considered the top receiver. He wins big at 6-foot-5, 223 lbs and flashes agility and athleticism which showed up in a composite score in the 92nd percentile. Get over the drops.

10. DENVER BRONCOS - QB DREW LOCK, MISSOURI

This will be one of the most common connections in every mock. I'm buying it, as Joe Flacco is a clear bridge.

11. CINCINNATI BENGALS - DEVIN WHITE, LSU

The Bengals needed an injection of athleticism at linebacker three years ago. White tested in the 94th percentile, is an absolute missile at the second level, but also plays under control when necessary. That's an important line to toe for a linebacker.

12. GREEN BAY PACKERS - EDGE BRIAN BURNS, FSU

Nick Perry is expected to be cut. Clay Matthews is a free agent. If you want a pass rusher, you need to draft them early. Burns' game was based on athleticism in college. Then he posted an athletic profile in the 94th percentile. That gives us comfort in his game translating.

13. MIAMI DOLPHINS - T JAWAAN TAYLOR, FLORIDA

If the Dolphins aren't investing long term in a quarterback in this draft, set up that future quarterback for success with a talented offensive line. Taylor has experience on both the left and right side.

14. ATLANTA FALCONS - IDL ED OLIVER, HOUSTON

Explosiveness. Disruption. Athleticism. Ed Oliver and Dan Quinn are a fantastic match.

15. WASHINGTON REDSKINS - WR D.K. METCALF, OLE MISS

Beat writer J.P. Finlay said he's heard "lots of Ashburn folks say they need a playmaker." That is D.K. Metcalf.

16. CAROLINA PANTHERS - T ANDRE DILLARD, WASHINGTON ST

Andre Dillard racked up a ton of pass pro reps in college, and looked excellent. Then he hit the 20-yard shuttle threshold, instilling more confidence in his evaluation. Full season team success is heavily reliant on offensive line talent, health and continuity.

17. CLEVELAND BROWNS - IDL CHRISTIAN WILKINS, CLEMSON

Larry Ogunjobi is outstanding. Myles Garrett is not human. Add another disruptor in that front and continue to get after the quarterback.

18. MINNESOTA VIKINGS - T JONAH WILLIAMS, ALABAMA

In some ways, the Vikings Offense only could go as far as the offensive line allowed them to last year. I firmly believe Williams can play left tackle, but numerous evaluators believe he can lock down multiple spots. The Vikings have needs at multiple spots.

19. TENNESSEE TITANS - EDGE CLELIN FERRELL, CLEMSON

Brian Orakpo, cupcake baker. Derrick Morgan, free agent. I love Harold Landry's future thanks to his flexibility and bend around the corner. Pairing him with Ferrell, who understands distance, length and hands would form a great young duo.

20. PITTSBURGH STEELERS - CB BYRON MURPHY, WASHINGTON

Joe Haden is still good. Mike Hilton is good in the slot. Artie Burns... deserves an upgrade. I always have difficult projecting corners to draft slot, so they could go off the board earlier than 20.

21. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - OL CODY FORD, OKLAHOMA

For a team that invests so much in the running game, the Seahawks could use improvements at a few spots along their offensive line.

22. BALTIMORE RAVENS - IOL GARRETT BRADBURY, NC ST

The Ravens two tackles are locked in. Center deserves an upgrade. Bradbury tested like one of the best athletes at the position, is a fantastic reach blocker and could be fun to watch getting to the second level in the ravens running game.

23. HOUSTON TEXANS - CB GREEDY WILLIAMS, LSU

Kareem Jackson is a free agent. Jonathan Joseph has no remaining guaranteed money. Kevin Johnsonwill be elsewhere in 2019. Corner appears to be a major need for the Texans.

24. OAKLAND RAIDERS (VIA CHI) - RB JOSH JACOBS, ALABAMA

It would not be a surprise to see RB be left out of the first round. But I could totally see Mike Mayock loving Jacobs' evaluation and Gruden buying in to help the "balance" on offense.

25. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - WR MARQUISE BROWN, OKLAHOMA

We know the Eagles tried to trade for Robby Anderson last season. They really lacked that downfield playmaker. Enter Brown, who might give off DeSean Jackson vibes.

26. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - IDL JERRY TILLERY, NOTRE DAME

Another Ballard homerun. It is clear Ballard weighs in athletic profiles in his evaluations. Tillery, in the 84th percentile, is an outstanding athlete with great bend and flexibility along the interior. He's fantastic.

27. OAKLAND RAIDERS (VIA DAL) - WR N'KEAL HARRY, ARIZONA ST

A number of Harry's big plays started in the slot. He's certainly not limited to that area, as he was used across the formation. And with an athletic profile in the 88th percentile, Harry possibly could emerge as the Raiders go-to pass catcher for the long term.

28. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS - IDL DRE'MONT JONES, OHIO ST

Jones didn't test like a great athlete, but he exhibits fantastic pass rushing qualities. Bend, flexibility, upside. Makes a strength stronger for the Chargers.

29. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - CB DEANDRE BAKER, GEORGIA

I wanted to find an edge pass rusher here, but did not feel one warranted the selection. Kendall Fulleris certainly starting caliber. Nelson and Scandrick are free agents. If Mitch Morse leaves, interior offensive line also makes sense.

30. GREEN BAY PACKERS - S DEIONTE THOMPSON, ALABAMA

I don't know if the Packers value the safety position enough to draft one in round one. Outside of the top names, many systems seem to view the position as replaceable. There are other safeties like Adderley who can also operate closer to the line of scrimmage.

31. LOS ANGELES RAMS - IOL ELGTON JENKINS, MISSISSIPPI ST

Without John Sullivan returning, Rodger Saffold a free agent and possible issues with Austin Blythe's play down the stretch, interior offensive line becomes a critical piece for the Rams.

32, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - TE NOAH FANT, IOWA

Not fair. 98th percentile tight end athlete with production to back it up to a team with a need at the position.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Would not be happy with that choice.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir