Breakfast Table: Broadway Mike Salfino (Roto Arcade)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HotOffTheWire
    RSS Feeds
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Breakfast Table: Broadway Mike Salfino (Roto Arcade)

On a weekly basis during the football season, former old friends Michael Salfino and Scott Pianowski discuss (and argue about) football and a series of other random topics. You might enjoy the exchange. You might prefer to be mauled by polar bears. The choice is up to you. This is routinely a long feature and it's especially long this week. You've been warned. From: scott pianowski Date: Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM Subject: rivalry breakfast To: Michael Salfino For the most part I consider myself an impartial observer of the NFL, not a fan. Oh, I want the Patriots to be good, but I'm not living and dying by their every snap and result. I've been satiated over the years. But the rules are different when New York is involved. I don't think I could ever love the Patriots with the intensity I hate the (expletive) Jets. And make no mistake, that's a good thing. It's wonderful to have passion kick in. Hating an opponent is welcome. It's fantastic to have a game circled on your calendar. And when the Jets and Patriots meet, it's our rivalry now - your childhood team against mine, with Turncoat Belichick at the center of it. (And speaking of your team, is Joe Namath the most overrated quarterback of all time? The spreadsheet sure says so. And when I discussed this theme with Twitter on Monday, you were the only person who disagreed with me. State your case, Broadway Mike. If you're going to bash the Brady sweater, I'm going to flag the Namath pantyhose.) Does Bill Belichick rate an edge in a rematch game, especially when the Jets are on the menu? Sign me up for that. The Jets won the first meeting in 2009 and 2010; New England won convincingly in the rematches (including a 45-3 beatdown). The Patriots won all meetings in 2011 and 2012, but the second win in each instance was lopsided. (This would be a perfect trend if not for the matter of New York's playoff ambush in the 2010 playoffs; I know that can't be discarded). Anyway, you know how I feel about Belichick in this sort of spot. The Jets had a chance back in Week 2 - I don't expect a close game now. The more the teams know about each other, the more I like Belichick's side. The other juicy game on the Week 7 card is Denver heading to Indianapolis - Peyton Manning's return to Naptown. We've disagreed on Andrew Luck most of the year, so I guess we can pick up with that, too. Luck didn't do my side any favors - he was underwhelming in Monday's loss at San Diego, up against a defense that hadn't stopped anyone. Granted, the Indy receivers treated the football like it was dipped in radioactive waste. Those two games should be enough, but if you have a side item for the menu, let it rip. I'm still shocked at Sean Payton's endgame in Foxboro, a classic case of playing for the Friendliest Loss. Tom Brady's final drive was transcendent, but you're fortunate to get three cracks at the hero script. Shouldn't the Saints have given Drew Brees a chance to salt the game away? Shake it like a salt shaker, Jersey. Rivalry Breakfast is served.

More...
Working...
X