• Show
Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

So if we trade down, say into the 25 to 30 range.....what would we expect besides the swap of first's? A third seems right as a second seems too rich. Is it? Hopefully someone wants to jump the Saints for a QB like Corral?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

If Willis makes it to #17 he should be the pick. Of course for another team who overpays Chargers for the pick!

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        Draftniks!!! How we feeling about #17? Now that JC freaking Jackson and Khalil freaking Mack are on the squad. Are we feeling DT or RT? Or another edge, to give us a 3 headed beast, hehehe.

I think CB is out. Sorry Nutty.
        I'm just glad that TT saw what I saw... that CB was our biggest need (see the JC Jackson signing). LOL!
        Now, RT is the obvious choice. Super glad they didn't invest the #17 pick in a NT/DT.
        1st: RT
        3rd: Safety/CB/Edge/LB depth?
        4th: Safety/CB/Edge/LB depth?
        5th: Safety/CB/Edge/LB depth?
        6th: Safety/CB/Edge/LB depth?
        6th: RB/TE depth?
        7th: RB/TE depth?

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Yeah, I’m not sold on Penning or Raimann. Not saying they’ll bust, just not great value at 17.
          They are raw and will have to move to the opposite side while making the leap from Division II to the NFL

What can go wrong?

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They are raw and will have to move to the opposite side while making the leap from Division II to the NFL

What can go wrong?
            Yep...Pip made the jump...kind of...after all these years...

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
              So if we trade down, say into the 25 to 30 range.....what would we expect besides the swap of first's? A third seems right as a second seems too rich. Is it? Hopefully someone wants to jump the Saints for a QB like Corral?
              Detroit:
              #32 = 590
              #66 = 260
              #97 = 112
              Total = 962

Chargers:
              #17 = 950
              #195 = 12

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...Pip made the jump...kind of...after all these years...
                Topcat, there is no comparison between a player like Penning and a player like Pipkins. Penning is a very athletic and strong first round talent. Pipkins came into the league as a soft project player with much more limited athletic ability that was a huge reach when he was selected in the third round.

Penning played on the same college OL as and was better than Spencer Brown. Brown is a solid starting RT for BUF and achieved that in year 1. Penning will be at least a solid starter in year one and he may end up a little better than that. Penning would be a huge upgrade over Norton on day one. Pipkins cannot beat out Norton.

The learning curve for Penning as a RT starter is likely to be average to good in year 1; good in year two; and possible Pro Bowl RT in year three. The low point of Penning's learning curve is above the high point of the curve for Pipkins.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                  San Diego Native
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Farmington, NM
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                  There are also trade back into the 1st options for example...

Seattle might decide that there is a non-QB at #9 they absolutely must have. Then a QB they like (Malik Willis?) is still available at #17 (950 pts).

They might trade #40 (500) and #41 (490) to move back into the 1st for Malik.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Topcat, there is no comparison between a player like Penning and a player like Pipkins. Penning is a very athletic and strong first round talent. Pipkins came into the league as a soft project player with much more limited athletic ability that was a huge reach when he was selected in the third round.

Penning played on the same college OL as and was better than Spencer Brown. Brown is a solid starting RT for BUF and achieved that in year 1. Penning will be at least a solid starter in year one and he may end up a little better than that. Penning would be a huge upgrade over Norton on day one. Pipkins cannot beat out Norton.

The learning curve for Penning as a RT starter is likely to be average to good in year 1; good in year two; and possible Pro Bowl RT in year three. The low point of Penning's learning curve is above the high point of the curve for Pipkins.
                    Well, Crusher, I DID say that Pip "kind of" made the jump...he went from a total project in year 1 to a somewhat serviceable backup by the end of last season...and I'm not quite ready yet to anoint Pip as our starting RT, like some people in this forum apparently are...

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

There are also trade back into the 1st options for example...

Seattle might decide that there is a non-QB at #9 they absolutely must have. Then a QB they like (Malik Willis?) is still available at #17 (950 pts).

They might trade #40 (500) and #41 (490) to move back into the 1st for Malik.
                      gonna volunteer/surmise that Seattle might go Jordan Davis, and let him pick up where Red Bryant left off, and.... is Jacob Eason a bust ??

and know that Critty would give'm next year's No. 1 for their two second rounders.... (that would give him enough ammo to go up and get the Sauce)
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, Crusher, I DID say that Pip "kind of" made the jump...he went from a total project in year 1 to a somewhat serviceable backup by the end of last season...and I'm not quite ready yet to anoint Pip as our starting RT, like some people in this forum apparently are...
                        I hear you, but I have seen multiple people try to equate Penning with Pipkins, which I think is just crazy. There is no way I want Pipkins starting for us just because he did not completely flop in a very limited role later in the season last year after he did flop (again) earlier in the season. One or two games of limited success is not a sample size upon which we should be hanging our hats.

Penning is not as polished as Slater was, so I do not expect a Pro Bowl in year one, but I do expect Penning to be a solid starter on day one and a large upgrade over the likes of an UDFA like Norton and a big third round reach like Pipkins. And the long term potential is that he will end up as good as good as Slater. Basically, if we draft Penning, our RT issue is resolved for the rest of Herbert's first contract.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

I don't see a lot of names I would pick that I think may be on board at 17.

D.Stingley-CB
                          T.McDuffie-CB
                          D.Hill-DB/S
                          T.Walker-DL
                          D.Wyatt-DL
                          J.Johnson-Edge
                          Z.Johnson-OL
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X