Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21&500
    replied
    I remember hearing we had a lot of interest in Javon Holland, the duck last draft with out second.
    thinking Staley wanted 2 highs not named James for a while.

NAS and the Heartbreak Kid up top

Leave a comment:

• WindsorUK
    replied
    For all those suggesting he can play outside or in the slot just because he's fast, might want to read his profile:

Or this one:

Fast guys with stiff hips and ankles play S for a reason.
    He appears to be a Cover 2 type guy, again based on multiple analysis of his game.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt-O
    commented on 's reply
    I think the discussion is just fine, IMO. No one is calling people names or denigrating people personally, which is just great. Some of youse guys are dead wrong... so what!

• dmac_bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think Woods is a scheme fit, Staley is targeting players who have the skills to do what he wants to do on defense, and that we should give him the benefit of the doubt at this time.
    I think you’re right. Staley will play 5 and 6 DBs at a time because one of them is SuperJames and he’s part DB part super LB+. He wants to bring Derwin up as an enforcer more but he needed a back end insurance policy. Step 1 was get a lockdown corner - check. Step 2 is add a a speed enforcer in the back. These two things now will let him unleash Derwin as an unpredictable weapon. Last year’s DB room both at Corner and 3rd Safety didn’t have the talent to allow him to take as many risks with DJ. He’s now added two improved pieces to deploy his design.

JT’s closing speed is obvious on tape, its ridiculous and comparisons to Mager are a chuckle. He’s not drafted to fit the scheme as the run enforcer tackling machine, he won’t be on the field against jumbo packages. Thats Derwin. JT is the guy that can patrol the back, close fast, and actually catch the ball when the front D pressures and forces mistakes. He also lets Staley put his improved CB starters in more man coverage. Our other back end Safeties could not o this and also have a notable frequency to drop balls thrown to them, this guy has very sticky hands.

Deep patrol, blazing closer, sticky-handed ball hawk - thats his fit in the scheme. He does need to add strength and learn NFL, improve technique and yes improve tackling. no 3rd rounder is an instant sure thing. But I get their vision and discount draftnik’s who often don’t know shit and don’t understand a coach’s scheme need or fit. Some here advocated for a strong safety run enforcer who runs in the high 4.4s to 4.5’s - thats the opposite of what Staley needed to unleash Derwin. This is what he needed, we will see if JT can do it.

The problem with improving tackling, I’ll note on the downside, is NFL coaches and teams are basically prohibited from coaching tackling now. They can’t run tackling drills, are severely restricted to even run contact in pads. That is a problem Staley will have to figure out creatively. Too many defenders coming out of college don’t get any better at tackling.

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    I love this pick. I've been leaning OG in the 1st round and safety in the 3rd round for a couple weeks now. It frees Derwin up to be Money and Star.
    Move Derwin into the "CB" depth chart and Vato to #4... and you have great depth.

JT makes our safety position deeper, too. This was a 2-for-1 pick. 3-D chess move... same as the Zion pick prior.

Personally, I had Nick Cross over JT... but really like JT the more tape I see of him.

Leave a comment:

• Chargers8491
    replied
    A lot of A and B grades for this pick. Usually, you don't receive a high grade for so called "reaches". Just saying.....

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied

I don't think anyone is uncomfortable with open and honest football discussion, Lone, I think some of us get weary of members here who go off the rails with criticism of decisions made by people who have a lot more football knowledge than they do.
    Few went off the rails....and it's the draft for crying out loud...every pick is supposed to spark debate....honestly, I thought the whole point of this forum was so that grown men and women could play coach and GM...even if down deep inside, we know we sometimes no jack all nothing. I'm one of the biggest Stalesco supporters on here...still gonna question some moves...don't see why some have to get offended by that....unless I post 50 plus times complaining...then yea, lite me up....and on that note, I've said all I'm gonna say on that...on to round 4.:hello:

Leave a comment:

• Fouts2herbert
    replied

I don't think anyone is uncomfortable with open and honest football discussion, Lone, I think some of us get weary of members here who go off the rails with criticism of decisions made by people who have a lot more football knowledge than they do.
    I compare the reaction to the woods pick to last year’s 3rd round picks. And holy cow the fallout from those picks was nasty too. But now I think most folks like the players. I think once everyone learned that palmer was squeaky clean, silky smooth, and a consummate professional they’ve come around to the pick. I also liked the mckitty pick, the guy was a stud pro ready blocker coming out and has the potential to be become a complete TE which is not often seen nowadays. This pick reminds me of the third round picks from last year, he’ll get his feet wet in year one and then take on a bigger role in the following years. It’s quality depth team building type stuff and insurance in case adderly walks.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Personally, I got nothing against the prospect. Watching the presser, it is obvious that TT and Staley are excited, and have been all up in this kids tape...he was definitely a target. But be careful questioning what direction we went with that pick...you'll be labeled a crybaby by members of the forum who are uncomfortable with open and honest football discussion/debate.

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'll pipe up one here: he's very thin - if he can't tackle, he won't be on the field to use his speed.

The kool-aid is flowing a bit too freely here. He's a bit of a gamble, or he wouldn't have been drafted in the middle of the 3rd with that elite speed.

If draftniks don't spend thousands of hours on one guy, other NFL GMs do.
    Personally, I got nothing against the prospect. Watching the presser, it is obvious that TT and Staley are excited, and have been all up in this kids tape...he was definitely a target. But be careful questioning what direction we went with that pick...you'll be labeled a crybaby by members of the forum who are uncomfortable with open and honest football discussion/debate.

Leave a comment:

• Riverwalk
    replied
    Kind of a high pick for special teams

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Yep Staley likes this guy... He's basically saying he likes his physical skill on long range with his speed etc. and that he can play DB on some plays as well. Our D basically could have 4 or 5 DB's on the field at the same time. Fits the D we play but we'll see. They'll look for him to make interceptions and cover the deep part of the field. A lot of the top DB's on the board were smaller! This for sure is a Staley pick.
    :cheers:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X