Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The logic breakdown comes when you say you think we could take him at 123 vs you know we could take him at 123. The draft is full of disappointed teams who thought a high priority player would make it to their next pick.

I would not have taken Woods in the 3rd, however the Bolts felt they had to have him there. And its their money in the game not ours.
    Teams can always avoid risk by taking players too early and continuously sacrificing value, but it remains bad draft strategy. I can see how Woods fits what our team is trying to do, but I continue to be opposed to us engaging in poor draft strategy.

I also think it is a truly sad statement regarding what Staley wants to do if "everything" is dependent on us having this one player.

I have not even reached the concern of Woods as being possibly an increased injury risk because of his slender build, which is supported by his breaking his collarbone while at Baylor just by falling on it. There is a little "Verrett" similarity there in terms of the smaller frame potentially not holding up in the game of football.

The best way I can describe it is that if Woods get injured, it will have been half expected by me. Obviously, any player can get injured, but some players, by virtue of some physical characteristic they have, may be at greater risk for an injury than others.

Leave a comment:

• chargeroo
    replied
    Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting...three Irishmen interviewing TT...Telesco sure does love the Irish, whether it's Golden Domers or corned beef and cabbage eaters...

BTW, TT's take on Green going before Zion starts at 9:07...and Telesco does say that he thought Green would be picked "AFTER us"... so it looks like the Bolts had Zion targeted...
    Green was my first choice, Zion second.

Leave a comment:

• Maniaque 6
    replied
    I think if Green was the ideal RT for the Chargers,
    They would traded up in the 1st.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting...three Irishmen interviewing TT...Telesco sure does love the Irish, whether it's Golden Domers or corned beef and cabbage eaters...

BTW, TT's take on Green going before Zion starts at 9:07...and Telesco does say that he thought Green would be picked "AFTER us"... so it looks like the Bolts had Zion targeted...
    I wonder if the Chargers saw Green as a Guard only.

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied
    Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I paraphrased Telesco's sentiments directly from an interview with Irish NFL: none of it is my speculation on the matter.
    Telesco was expecting Green to be available at #17: he says that he was surprised when Houston made the selection.
    This week, we are joined by Los Angeles Chargers GM Tom Telesco who talks about the NFL Draft, Justin Herbert and more. You can visit the show on Twitter at ...

note: beware, one of the Irish reporters is a Raider fan.

Leave a comment:

• TexanBeerlover
    replied
    Originally posted by equivocation View Post

His value is as a pass rusher. His impact as an off ball LB was much less.
    LB who will convert into Edge Rusher or DE which also pays more.

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    replied
    Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    May...June...when the posts keep getting better and better...
    We’re CRUSHING it!!

Get it? Crushing, chaincrusher…never mind.

Leave a comment:

• equivocation
    replied
    Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

LB Micah Parsons was discussed in 2021 pre-draft discussions for 13th selection, on two premises;
    1. Slater was off the board
    2. Micah was still on the board

You still take best player. Or you trade back and regroup. Hard for me to imagine any draft board holding true regardless of unforeseen outcomes? Blanket positions, traits, speed, power and skill sets.
    His value is as a pass rusher. His impact as an off ball LB was much less.

Leave a comment:

• TexanBeerlover
    replied
    Originally posted by equivocation View Post

DT is considered a premium position as long as it's a pass rushing DT. They get paid the same as edge rushers.

Of the remaining positions, IOL gets paid the most. RB and LB the least.

If you accept that a primary purpose of the draft is to offset cap space, drafting high paid positions and signing low paid positions makes sense.
    LB Micah Parsons was discussed in 2021 pre-draft discussions for 13th selection, on two premises;
    1. Slater was off the board
    2. Micah was still on the board

You still take best player. Or you trade back and regroup. Hard for me to imagine any draft board holding true regardless of unforeseen outcomes? Blanket positions, traits, speed, power and skill sets.

Leave a comment:

• equivocation
    replied

A reach in what sense? Telesco has said that he considered moving down from #17, but once Green was chosen by Houston, there were some guard hungry teams and he didn't want to risk missing out on Zion. In that sense, it wasn't a reach.

In the sense that low priority players seldom have their contracts extended? I get it; but the next five window years were of the upmost consideration.

Low priority positions being safety,rb, interior Oline, inside linebacker, DT, tight end: so you would never draft any of those positions in the first round?

Just drafting edge rusher, corner, OT, qb, wr there is something no team practices.
    DT is considered a premium position as long as it's a pass rushing DT. They get paid the same as edge rushers.

Of the remaining positions, IOL gets paid the most. RB and LB the least.

If you accept that a primary purpose of the draft is to offset cap space, drafting high paid positions and signing low paid positions makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied
    Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Woods projects as a decent, but not great player. As you yourself cited at post #353, Zierlein projects Woods as a good backup with the potential to develop into a starter.

And since you have cited Zierlein, let's carry that forward into his corresponding take regarding Jones in which he states that Jones will eventually be a plus starter.

Which of the two is the better player? Jones. In drafts, the superior strategy is to take the better player as both positions were PONs, which is proven by our taking Ogbonnia.

Further, on what do you base your statement that Woods is a better fit for us than Jones? Jones and Ogbonnia are the same size, but Jones is more athletic than and better than Ogbonnia at everything, which is why Jones was consensus ranked #44 overall overall and Ogbonnia was ranked #187 overall. Within a year or so, Jones will likely be better than both Joseph-Day and Johnson. Ogbonnia is just 6th round consensus ranked rotational depth that we took in round 5. Some pundits had Jones as a back end of the first round player and some on this forum considered him as a possibility worthy of discussion at #17 overall.

Frankly, I like the idea of Woods as a sub. He would be a good sub, but maybe not so good as a starter, which is why he was consensus ranked as a late 4th round player at #137 overall. My hope is that to the degree that Staley urgently wants to free up James, that we will use a premium draft pick to get a better player than either Woods or Adderley.

Finally, I think that under Staley we play in our base defense about 30% of the time and in short yardage a little bit too. I seriously doubt that Woods will be on the field 90-100% of the time.
    Wow. For someone who is so into what the numbers say in terms of consensus rankings.
    I asked you specifically to explain value in trading draft capital for a player who will be on the field less based on the below data which is verifiable as accurate.

Adderley was the starting safety and played 97% of defensive snaps last year. This is a verifiable fact

The year before with Rams when Brandon was the DC, his FS Johnson played 100% of defensive snaps. This is a verifiable fact.

All you have to do is check. But you didn't check so you could have a solid counter argument. You were lazy and just seriously doubted it. Which also shows you have big gaps in your knowledge about football and how often a player is on the field. DT typically are closer to 60% for most teams and Safety are typically closer to 95%. Go check and you will see defensive snap counts on average. And it's completely obvious as to why. Teams don't take safety off the field sub package but DT do get sub out about 1 in 3 snaps on avg. This should not have to be explain to someone who acts like they know it all. Yet it's pretty obvious that your reach per consensus take was a 1 layer Monday morning QB take that didn't pay attention to anything else or weigh anything else into you very simpleton equation for drafting players expect the 1 data point of consensus internet board.
    Again, are you able to explain why trading draft capital for a player who will be on the field 30% less as a starter was the value move?

This is now the third time I'm asking you to explain this Value? When the player you wanted to trade for was not going to play as often as the starter. You should also know that Adderley is in last year of contract making the starting safety position more of a need to ensure talent versus the DL where free agents were just added making that position not a need in 2023.

Value was your big argument and the math here says the value for Staley was JT Woods who will play much more downs than Travis Jones would have. Additionally the trade up you wanted to do is using the 4th and would have removed having Spiller as depth and value at the RB position.

Again VALUE was your argument.
    And your move lost both snap counts and depth at FS and RB depth Spiller in favor of a DT who if was a starter would play 50-60% of snaps in 2023 So like 500-600 snaps.

Woods as starter would play 900-1000 snaps in 2023. And will for sure have played many more snaps as a back up FS than Jones as back up DL in their rookie years.

And Spiller as RB 2 would get 300 snaps.

So any way you look at it Woods/Spiller double the snap count of Jones.

VALUE? I'd say you threw away 600 snaps of value with your consensus draft board simpleton ways.

:uplol:

IMO, you doubting the snap count for safety put your knowledge and takes about football into serious doubt as it is fundamentally obvious that the starting Safety is on the field for a lot more snaps than the DT/NT would be.

Leave a comment:

• TexanBeerlover
    replied

I paraphrased Telesco's sentiments directly from an interview with Irish NFL: none of it is my speculation on the matter.
    Telesco was expecting Green to be available at #17: he says that he was surprised when Houston made the selection.
    This week, we are joined by Los Angeles Chargers GM Tom Telesco who talks about the NFL Draft, Justin Herbert and more. You can visit the show on Twitter at ...

note: beware, one of the Irish reporters is a Raider fan.
    Was merely agreeing, thinking along same lines as Telesco I guess, just pointing out, 3rd overall pick impact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X