• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

There are arguments for not drafting Tunsil or any OT with the first round pick. That's fine.

But King Dunlap as some sort of bastion of stability at LT or as a reason to skip on a blue chip LT prospect is NOT one of them. But I'm sure this shit franchise that never learns will have another shot at a top 5 pick next year so maybe they can get Dunlap's heir at that point.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Do we really need a separate Draft Day thread?

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        I'll say it now, Ingram will be a stud pass rusher next year. Book it.
        Ingram's issue is not necessarily as a pass rusher, though. He is sloppy, lazy run defender who leaves his assignment too quickly and likes to jump around blocks. He single handily lost a game vs GB and was partially responsible for allowing several other games to allow big running gains. Ingram is an ascending pass rusher who will continue to improve as he gets more time rushing vs top OT. But he has to stop playing like a rookie. Add to it that Attaochu and Emmanuel have their own issues vs the run, that is where the heart of our problems on D are.

The best part of adding Bosa is that Ingram would not necessarily be the odd man out. There is no reason we cannot add Bosa and Ingram as the edge guys. They also give us 2 guys who can move around and line up in different spots in the rush line. Both can line up inside and out (and both have experience doing it as well).

Adding Bosa just means that all the other OLB have to raise their games. That is not a bad thing. I don't think we even need to get rid of any, if they all play well, although if we do decide to get rid of one or more, then we will be able to find a trading partner. If one or more doesn't play well, then we don't need to protect them anyway.
        Last edited by Steve; 04-28-2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
          Yep saw Polian earlier. He doesn't see Buckner as a true 5T and said he may be lined out in 7 and 9. With his length he should be moving along interior and he can't. Overall Polian didn't have much nice to say about him
          Buckner would be another Tyson Jackson style DE for us. He is long, and is just about impossible to reach block. That is his best quality. You wouldn't be able to run outside of him when we are in our base D. That is the thing that gets people excited. The problem ends up being, like Polian says, he is not a powerful inside guy. Some tall guys are really good at getting low, and using their leverage to keep guys off of them, and seperate. That isn't something Buckner does well ( if you don't believe me and Polian, here is stephen White, former pass rusher for TB and the Jets. http://www.sbnation.com/2016/3/21/11...eakdown-oregon).

Even though Buckner is a lot faster then Tyson Jackson, he is not as powerful, and doesn't use his hands as well. Buckner is an ideal 5 technique for teams that really use that alignment, but we rarely do. We line up our DE as 43 DT on about 80-85 % of our plays (pass rush line 70%, plus goalline and short yardage situations). Buckner may have the qualities you look for in a 5 technique DE (or run down 43 DE), but he wouldn't play that position except on paper. In our D he would line up line a 1 or 3 technique DT (with Liuget taking the other spot), with Ingram and Attaochu lined up as the 7 technique (4 man line DE) spots.

What a lot of draft guys are implying is that the way Buckner has developed, he can learn to do these things. Maybe he can. I don't see guys doing that very often, but maybe it will happen. THe catch is why are we going to spend the 3rd pick on the draft to add a player who is going to be projected to develop into a spot he has shown no apptitude for. There are going to be plenty of good 43 DT in this draft who are going to slip 1 or 2 rounds, so why are we going to force feed a need like this into a spot where we could add an impact player who proabably has a much higher grade.

Joey Bosa is an ideal 43 DE. We play our OLB EXACTLY like a 43 DE, so that fits. Conklin is a guy who is a future LT (right athletic ability and skills), who is a great run blocker and could anchor our line for years, and would be a fit at 4 of the 5 positions, so that fits. Tunsil and Stanley would only project to 2 spots, but if you are willing to live with some rookie mistakes, they have the athletic ability to play and recover while their pass blocking develops. Ramsey has said he doesn't want to play S, but otherwise is an ideal fit inside as a nickle DB, where he can be a matchup nightmare for TE and slot WR, plus blitz and double guys outside. He fits. I don't see how Buckner fits in our D. I don'tsee how he is the highest grade either, but that is a seperate issue, since I rarely have a list that agrees with many people.

Comment

• JDA21
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'll be a little upset if we take Stanley at #3, although it would help the oline, I'd prefer to trade down a few spots and get him.

Comment

• Happy Draft Day!!!

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I still say the best player in the draft is Conklin, and I think as long as we stay ahead of the Giants, we are good.

NFL network was talking about us getting a windfall by trading back, but that is not in the cards. IF we where to get a pile of draft picks, it is going to be someone coming up from the bottom of the round, and then we lose out on the chance to get the best players. We can still land a top guy and add some picks. If Jax or Balt wanted to move up, if I was TT and was able to pick Conklin, I would try to trade back twice, adding a 3rd or 4th pick (even though it is below market for the pick), just to get the interest. Then we would have to ammo to package one or both picks to trade up in round 1 with our #2, or into the bottom of round 2 with our 3rd pick.

The sweet spot in the draft is the 2nd and 3rd round IMHO. Add as many picks in there as we can, but get the top player at the top of round 1.

Comment

• Rambler
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • No Cal
                  • Civil Research Attorney
                  • Send PM

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/3/28/11...-laremy-tunsil.

Although I bashed the possible pick of Stanley in another thread (as poor value for the #3 pick, and not our biggest need), this guy thinks he's better than Tunsil (at least that's something).

And some actual (anonymous) scouts like him as well: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...376728371.html

Comment

• zoom
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I like Ramsay and would take him at 3. But i also think he is the chip some teams might 'hop', in order to get in front of Dallas. My ideal draft is to trade down twice and up up at 8.

Trade with Jax then trade again with Cleveland.

Jax takes Ramsay in front of Dallas and Cleveland hops in front of Baltimore to get their tackle of choice.

We are sitting at 8 with some good options and go off the board (BPA).

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                      I like Ramsay and would take him at 3. But i also think he is the chip some teams might 'hop', in order to get in front of Dallas. My ideal draft is to trade down twice and up up at 8.

Trade with Jax then trade again with Cleveland.

Jax takes Ramsay in front of Dallas and Cleveland hops in front of Baltimore to get their tackle of choice.

We are sitting at 8 with some good options and go off the board (BPA).
                      I like it...after that....trade back into the first to get a stud D lineman or Ryan Kelly
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I still say the best player in the draft is Conklin, and I think as long as we stay ahead of the Giants, we are good.

NFL network was talking about us getting a windfall by trading back, but that is not in the cards. IF we where to get a pile of draft picks, it is going to be someone coming up from the bottom of the round, and then we lose out on the chance to get the best players. We can still land a top guy and add some picks. If Jax or Balt wanted to move up, if I was TT and was able to pick Conklin, I would try to trade back twice, adding a 3rd or 4th pick (even though it is below market for the pick), just to get the interest. Then we would have to ammo to package one or both picks to trade up in round 1 with our #2, or into the bottom of round 2 with our 3rd pick.

The sweet spot in the draft is the 2nd and 3rd round IMHO. Add as many picks in there as we can, but get the top player at the top of round 1.
                        Steve. There are a lot of good DT's in this draft some will be there with our second pick, do any of these guys fit our scheme AND are worth taking:

Chris Jones Mississippi State

Kenny Clark UCLA

Andre Billings Baylor

Vernon Butler. Louisiana Tech

Bronson. Kaufusi BYU
                        Last edited by bonehead; 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM.
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Faded blues
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2013
                          • Send PM

I take Buckner

Then ot

Comment

Working...
                          X