Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
    you're not comparing Wade Phillips's resume to John Pagano's are you? That's like Jimmy Johnson vs. Danica Patrick.
    Just pointing out that both defenses are both 1 gap 34 alignments. We just execute at a much lower level, but the scheme is basically the same.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Jesus, ours is a 1 gap? Who knew (from watching them play...).

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

The big thing in terms of making defensive progress was finally getting some pass rush off the edge. People love to harp on the NT thing, depsite the fact most 34 D don't have a top NT. But name a 34 D that was very dominant that didn't have at least 2 good/great OLB/edge rushers? A good rule of thumb (not to be taken too literally) is 20 sacks from their OLB. We had 10.5 from Ingram and 6 from Attaochu, and 1 more from Emmanuel for a total 17.5. so close. Denver had well over 20 (11 for von Miller, 7.5 for Ware, 5.5 from Barrett and 4 from Shane Ray for 28 sacks, which is almost as many as we had as a team). Plus, with Barrett and Ray being younger guys and a new scheme, they left a number of sacks on the field early in the year that they should have and probably will convert.

I like the progress, but they have a ways to go. It did propel our D from the bottom of the league in 3rd down D to up into the middle (14th based on percentage). A couple of more sacks, we could have easily been in the top 5 (or higher) in 3rd down D (all the teams in the middle of the rankings are right there together so ranking itself is a poor indicator). That wouldn't help us that much overall because we like to let teams break long runs and have coverage breakdowns at all the worst time, but if we ever get those fixed, it would be a big help. But we still have a ways to go, because while Ingram and Attaochu may have gotten a bit lucky and gotten some sacks by people who underestimated them, everyone is going to have a book on them this season. And we still don't have any depth.

Comment

• CTrout
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I've been stuck on Buckner at 3. Now these comments by Mayock make me even more certain...
          "He can play up and down the defensive line of scrimmage. He's nasty, he's tough, he's powerful. He's got a little Reggie White hump move that's friggin' awesome. Eight to 10 years from now, I think he'll be one of the guys we'll be looking back at that will be in the conversation as the best defensive player to come out of this draft," Mayock said.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

2016 NFL Combine: Overlooked players who will surprise scouts
            By Tom Fornelli / Staff Writer
            February 24, 2016 06:22 AM ET
            With the NFL Combine taking place in Indianapolis this week, most football fans know to be on the lookout for the big names -- the top quarterbacks, playmakers, linemen and defensive backs that are likely going to hear their names called on the first night. You know, your Laremy Tunsils, Joey Bosas and even North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz.

But what about the players who could end up being steals in the later rounds? Which ones should you be taking a closer look at?

Well, the truth is there are a lot of those players, and every year certain guys the casual fan has never heard of before wind up emerging at the combine. Then there are the players who you might know, but they don't exactly receive a lot of hype until they impress the scouts.

So what the Eye on College Football team is here to do is narrow the list of 332 players expected to attend the combine down to a few you can keep your eye on. It's an impossible task, but one I'm willing to try and take on.

QB Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky: Not many people expect Doughty to be one of the first quarterbacks taken in the NFL Draft, as he's currently projected to go in the sixth or seventh round. I assure you that this projection is not based on his college production. In the last two seasons, Doughty threw for 9,885 yards and 97 touchdowns. Again, that's just the last two years, not his entire career. Now, while plenty of people will point to the high-powered offense he was in and there are certainly going to be some concerns about how he might transition to an NFL offense, Doughty also checks in at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds. He's not Cam Newton-sized, but he has the kind of build NFL teams like in their quarterbacks.

QB Brandon Allen, Arkansas: Like Doughty, Allen isn't projected to be taken until the end of the draft, if at all. Unlike Doughty, Allen did not have video game numbers at Arkansas, but that's because he played in a much different style of offense. The kind of offense Arkansas ran, however, could be beneficial to Allen as far as how teams view him. It's a lot more similar to what NFL teams run than a lot of other quarterbacks in the draft, and while he didn't have an amazing career, Allen came on strong during his senior season, completing 66 percent of his passes for 3,440 yards and 30 touchdowns. That's impressive in a run-first offense, let alone against SEC defenses.

LB Scooby Wright III, Arizona: The truth is, Scooby probably isn't the kind of player that's going to wow you with his measurements at the combine, but there was no way I was leaving him off this list. We're talking about a linebacker that was the most destructive force in college football in 2014, as he won the Bronco Nagurski Trophy, the Lombardi Award and the Bednarik Award. He was just a monster. Then, in 2015, a torn meniscus and a sprained foot cost him most of the season. But make no mistake about it, Wright is going to get drafted by somebody in the middle rounds, and they're going to get a damn steal. You know how some guys are just football players? That's Scooby. That said, he's so competitive that he might shock you at the combine, too.

WR Kolby Listenbee, TCU: If you're looking to make a bet with your friends about who will put up the fastest 40-yard dash time at the combine, Kolby's a solid pick. Listenbee didn't have monster numbers at TCU, and he's not the biggest of targets, but he can flat out fly. I'm talking 100 meters in 10.04 seconds. That's the kind of speed that'll get you noticed and get the scouts buzzing.

DE Jihad Ward, Illinois: Nobody will blame you if you've never heard of Jihad Ward because, even though he certainly has an interesting name, there hasn't been much reason to watch Illinois football lately. Don't let that fool you, though, because Ward is a real talent. At 6-foot-6 and 295 pounds, Ward definitely has the size to catch your eye, and the junior college transfer also has the athleticism. After all, he began his junior college career as a wide receiver and safety. There's going to be some buzz here.

RB Kenyan Drake, Alabama: Drake was clearly not the biggest name in Alabama's backfield last season. That would have been the guy who won the Heisman, Derrick Henry. But do not overlook Mr. Drake, a four-star recruit and one of the top running backs in the nation coming out of high school. He still has that explosiveness that NFL teams like and should shine at the combine. Injuries slowed him a bit in college, and his size will be a knock against him as teams wonder if he can be an every-down back, but he's going to turn some heads.

CB Artie Burns, Miami: When NFL scouts watch Burns' game tape, they're going to see a cornerback that's raw and needs some work. When they watch him at the combine, they're going to decide that he's the kind of player you don't mind working with. Simply put, Burns is really fast. He's going to put up one of the most impressive 40 times at the combine, and he's going to get attention because of it.

OL Connor McGovern, Missouri: I'm calling it right here. Nobody is going to beat cGovern on the bench press. This is a very, very strong young man. So strong, in fact, that he can bench 470 pounds. He even tore a pectoral muscle trying to bench 515. Oh, and he's done 39 reps at 225 pounds, too. So, yeah, he's been eating his vegetables.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

After Buckner I like Jihad as a 5 technique to develop.

I would love to see Scooby in the 3rd 4th.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                I've been stuck on Buckner at 3. Now these comments by Mayock make me even more certain...
                "He can play up and down the defensive line of scrimmage. He's nasty, he's tough, he's powerful. He's got a little Reggie White hump move that's friggin' awesome. Eight to 10 years from now, I think he'll be one of the guys we'll be looking back at that will be in the conversation as the best defensive player to come out of this draft," Mayock said.
                Kiss of death. He also though Nix was the 2nd or 3rd best DT when he came out. Bjeorn Werner top DE the year before. Hes not great with DL. lol

Comment

• CTrout
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  Kiss of death. He also though Nix was the 2nd or 3rd best DT when he came out. Bjeorn Werner top DE the year before. Hes not great with DL. lol
                  Given the guys picked after them and how their careers turned out....he was probably right. They were the best of an awful bunch.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                    Given the guys picked after them and how their careers turned out....he was probably right. They were the best of an awful bunch.
                    I like Buckner. Im just not sold on him at 3. I think Bosa is the safer pick. He reminds me a little of Kerrigan and Jarod Allen and at times Watt. His versatility is really a nice thing to have.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Agreed. Bosa may not be the pure difference-maker Steve wants at #3, but he does so many things really well, 10 years from now we'd all be happy to have picked him that high.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

The Chargers would be smart to show keen interest in the top two or three QBs as they hold the key to the #2 QB in this draft and Ten will not take a QB with the 1st pick.
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

In the middle of a 3 round mock with friends.

Comment

Working...
                          X