• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Peppers now available in early 2nd.

By: Will Burchfield
        @burchie_kid

Jabrill Peppers, his draft stock already in question, may have further clouded his NFL future.

The former Michigan linebacker/safety tested positive for a dilute sample at last month’s scouting combine, according to Adam Schefter.

A spokesman who works for the agency that represents Peppers responded to the report with the following statement, via Schefter:

“Peppers went to the combine. He was sick after flying there from San Diego. He has a history of cramping. Peppers was being pumped with fluids, drinking 8-10 bottles of water before he went to bed, because he was the first guy to work out two days for the LBs and DBs. He had to go through that first day, come back on second day, and that was the fear. So Peppers was pounding water and under the weather. He never failed a drug test in his life, nor tested positive before for any substance.”

Most experts believe Peppers will be a mid-to-late first round pick in the draft, which kicks off on Thursday night. But the positive drug test, if true, threatens to diminish his value.

Former Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster also returned a diluted sample at the scouting combine and stands to “slide down (draft) boards” as a result.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

I think the NFL should simply take hair samples if they are going to let a dilute sample tank a kids draft status. Its unfair to let something like drinking excess amounts of water trigger a red flag. Just pay the extra bucks and have the hair follicle tested.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            I think the NFL should simply take hair samples if they are going to let a dilute sample tank a kids draft status. Its unfair to let something like drinking excess amounts of water trigger a red flag. Just pay the extra bucks and have the hair follicle tested.
            If the NFLPA agrees with it. They don't want anything and a vague test is better than an exact test.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              If the NFLPA agrees with it. They don't want anything and a vague test is better than an exact test.
              It should be up to the player then. He should have the option of clearing his name. Hair follicle test can go back 6 months. If they choose not to do it than they are basically admitting they failed the test. I hate not knowing the truth. And i hate wondering if these guys are lying. There are better ways to the truth. If it were me id opt for the hair test. Because it could mean millions.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                • Send PM

It should be up to the player then. He should have the option of clearing his name. Hair follicle test can go back 6 months. If they choose not to do it than they are basically admitting they failed the test. I hate not knowing the truth. And i hate wondering if these guys are lying. There are better ways to the truth. If it were me id opt for the hair test. Because it could mean millions.
                No reason these guys can't have an independent lab mail hair test results to 32 GM's. I've heard of draftees writing heartfelt apologies and sending out to teams. Other than that they have to play by rules NFLPA agreed to. I honestly think most teams put way more weight on medical than diluted test if there are no other flags. Peppers is hurt more by not having a lot of time at any one position. If he was best Safety prospect (in a strong safety class) he would be in top 15 diluted or not IMHO

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

35-40% of these guys have cycled something in last 6 months that they have gotten away with. If it's recreational then I get it, he's an idiot, but they should have their professional cycles cleaned up way before combine. Sad but true

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                    No reason these guys can't have an independent lab mail hair test results to 32 GM's. I've heard of draftees writing heartfelt apologies and sending out to teams. Other than that they have to play by rules NFLPA agreed to. I honestly think most teams put way more weight on medical than diluted test if there are no other flags. Peppers is hurt more by not having a lot of time at any one position. If he was best Safety prospect (in a strong safety class) he would be in top 15 diluted or not IMHO
                    Yeah im not inputting ability into my argument. But all to often these guys get flagged for excess water and it has a negative impact on them. I just talked with an NFL guy though who quickly told me teams dont usually hold this against them. So i stand corrected. If its me though and i have nothing to hide i go above and beyond.

I still think a dilute flag is stupid. Either you test positive for drugs or peds or not. Do better testing that eliminates the gray area.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Very true. Now let's see what the players choose to do.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I am a Peppers fan, but more as an athlete than a position player. And if his athletic skills are in question, so is his draft position.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Tennessee QB Joshua Dobbs' stock on the rise heading into NFL draft
                          Follow @PFWeekly
                          By STEVE MEGARGEE – The Associated Press

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs has earned nearly as much attention for his academic achievements as his football exploits, so he is approaching the NFL draft process like he is prepping for an exam.

And the results are familiar: Dobbs is acing his football tests as well.

Regarded as a potential late-round selection or even an undrafted free agent prior to his senior season, the aerospace engineering major now could hear his name called by the second night of the NFL draft.

"I've done exactly what I set out to do, just put together great workouts in each of my opportunities to work out for various teams," Dobbs said. "It's all I can do. I can't really read into much at this point. You just have to wait until the draft comes because that's when everything's set in stone."

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay believes Dobbs will be a second-round pick. McShay has Dobbs as his fifth-ranked quarterback, behind North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky, Clemson's Deshaun Watson, Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer.

Dobbs started 37 games at Tennessee and joined Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott and Johnny Manziel as the only Southeastern Conference players ever to combine at least 50 career touchdown passes with 25 touchdown runs. His 3,781 yards of total offense last year were eight shy of Peyton Manning's single-season school record.

He gained more buzz by shining at Senior Bowl workouts. McShay said that prompted him to review Tennessee game tapes and notice dropped passes or incorrect routes contributed to Dobbs' perceived accuracy issues.

"I don't think that any quarterback in this draft has improved his stock as much as Josh has in the offseason," NFL Network analyst Charles Davis said.

Dobbs could become the first Tennessee quarterback to get taken in the first four rounds since Indianapolis made Manning the No. 1 overall pick in 1998. The only Tennessee quarterbacks drafted since Manning were fifth-round selections Tee Martin (2000), Erik Ainge (2008) and Jonathan Crompton (2010).

Dobbs has exchanged texts with Manning and has received advice from the five-time MVP.

"He talks about pride and preparation and just taking advantage of each opportunity," Dobbs said.

It's another former SEC quarterback most often mentioned with Dobbs these days.

The Dallas Cowboys drafted Prescott in the fourth round last year. The former Mississippi State star's success has played a role in Dobbs' recent surge.

"He will benefit from the Dak Prescott effect," said Bucky Brooks, a former NFL scout now working as an NFL Network draft analyst.

Dobbs was one of only seven people in Tennessee's senior class to get selected as a Torchbearer, which rewards academic achievement and service in the highest honor the school gives out. Dobbs was Tennessee's first male student-athlete to receive the honor since 1968.

McShay noted that Dobbs' major required tougher academic demands than a typical quarterback.

"To be able to take that mind and put it solely on football, I'm interested to see what the end product would be," McShay said.

Dobbs interned at aircraft engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney the last two summers. He has several options if football doesn't work out.

Davis wonders if that might cause some teams to worry about Dobbs' commitment to football and notes high academic achievers with outside interests often face those types of questions. Davis said Dobbs must remind teams how devoted he is to the game.

"I have zero doubts in my mind that he loves ball and he'll do whatever it takes, but he's got to make sure those teams understand that too," Davis said. "Because the same things they like about him with his character and the academics and this, that and everything are also the same things that they're going to question."

Dobbs said teams will realize his passion for football by watching how he played at Tennessee.

"The plan is to play football as long as I possibly can," Dobbs said. "Of course going to school and pursuing an engineering degree, you can't play football forever. You can't play sports forever. My goal was to go and get a degree in something I enjoy, that I have a passion for and something that I could use to make a good living once I finished playing sports.

"The plan is to play sports as long as I can. I'd play forever if I could."
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X