• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

I have no doubt he goes top 10. I just cant help feel that its to the Chargers. I think he may be the most adored player in the Country. A player that actually has the power to bring fans to a team. He could have a major following of fans. lol

I guess the bonus to that is that he is a very good player. I agree with those that say it makes no sense to draft a RB in round 1. Thats why i go up to the podium and announce him as a WR. lol

When you listen to Lynn talk he is so clearly a Run oriented coach. Breaking down styles of RBs and how they compliment each other. He said Gordon was a feature back but that the compliment RB is almost as important. He went on to say that Barner is the PR/KR. No mention of 3rd down etc. Coupled by the fact that McCaffrey is also a WR (IMO) i would not be surprised to see him a Charger despite how pissed many here would be.

This just feels like Marty and LT, Turner, Sproles all over again. Not a terrible thing. Maybe you get Turner/Sproles/Charlie Joiner all in one player?

Im not saying i want that pick...just that it wouldn't surprise me. Just like Foster wouldn't surprise me. Or OJ Howard. Positions we seem set at.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
      One NFL GM said Christian McCaffrey "had the best combine workout I've seen. Ever." It's one reason McCaffrey likely to go in top 10.
      That GM is blowing smoke to push McCaffrey up the board. Compare his numbers to Reggie Bush's
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
        I would be happy with this. This being Thomas or a trade back. Don't want Watson or a WR at #7.

I am not a reporter.

I am not trying to break any news.

But since I have been writing and getting deeper and deeper into this football thing I've gained some buddies that are connected to the team. So I have some nuggets to share.

You don't have to believe me, that's fine. This is the same guy who told me it was down to Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett a few years back. He said they're going running back and told me they had Melvin Gordon>Todd Gurley. Even last year, he said a week before the draft they were zoned in on Joey Bosa and by Thursday night had Hunter Henry. Needless to say, he's plugged in.

Here are some nuggets:

As of this morning, they really, really like Solomon Thomas. If he's there at 7. That's the pick. Gus Bradley played nickel defense last year 72% of the time. So you'd see a line of Bosa-Thomas-Liuget-Ingram. That's pretty nasty.

He won't be there, though. I doubt he gets past 3. So scratch that pipe dream.

It's the same thing this year. The Chargers have fallen in love with another pick. I'm not going to say who it is, but if you use the clues that Tom Telesco and company have dropped throughout the process it's not too hard to figure out. Think of where they struggled last year late. I'll give you this, it's an offensive player.

Every pundit ever has linked the Chargers and safety Malik Hooker. Telesco has made it clear he does not value the safety position. Hooker is a different case as he possesses the type of skill-set you take early in the draft. That said, he's unlikely to be the pick. A lot would have to happen for Hooker to be a Charger. He's currently their 5th target.

The dark-horse here is Deshaun Watson, Quarterback from Clemson. I wrote about Watson and he's quite good. He would have to sit obviously with Rivers contract situation. So he's not helping the team right away.

Speaking of, those Mariota rumors a few years ago when the Chargers were going to trade up for a quarterback were far-fetched. That was never going to happen. He's a couple years older and after last year the team feels like it might be time to find a successor. Watson is the only quarterback they're targeting in the 1st.

Watson's teammate, wide receiver Mike Williams, is also very high on their board. He's likely their 2nd option if they stay put at 7 and their top target is gone. This goes back to where they had issues last season. Tyrell Williams made strong strides and is a ridiculous athlete. He still has a little ways to go. I don't get a sense that they believe Keenan Allen can stay healthy. So getting Rivers a big receiver who can bail him out on jump balls and win in the red area is a big deal. Expect a receiver to be drafted before day 3.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah and NBC's Josh Norris have linked Christian McCaffrey to the Chargers in their latest mock drafts today. McCaffrey is not a target for the team at 7. It's interesting to see what info these "top" guys are being fed. I believe this is a smokescreen to get somebody to trade up. It appears it's working based on the offers they've received.

The Chargers have received several multiple offers, some teams in the teens and some in the 20's, to trade back. This is a very realistic goal and this is what I think they're going to do. They can trade back and still get their top target. If their top target is gone, they're going to take Forrest Lamp. I think Lamp is the 6th best player in the draft. He's fantastic. So getting a player that good while trading back and picking up an extra pick would be the dream. I was also told not to rule out them doubling down on another lineman in the 2nd round. They are really high on Dan Feeney.

With Anthony Lynn, he values football smarts and athleticism. Players that can process info quickly and move. That is lamp and Feeney. That is not Orlando Franklin and D.J. Fluker. So the goal is to revamp the line and make one final push with Rivers. If they do trade down, which is a strong possibility as of this very moment, they are going to take a free safety or receiver with that other 2nd round pick they acquire. As of right now, I don't know the targets.

Other things that I found interesting is that they have Jabril Peppers>Jamal Adams on their board. Adams is not a target for them in the 1st. Peppers is.

So in short, if Solomon Thomas is there, he's the pick. If not, then the pick is _____. If they decide to trade back the goal is Lamp/Feeney combo with a skill player with the other pick.

Things could change. But this is where they stand for now. Tonight will be entertaining if nothing else.
        Ok I think I sniffed out the trade down but, offensive player at #7 they have rated higher than Williams, McCaffrey or Watson? Fournette, Trabisky, OJ Howard, Mahomes or Davis. Fournette ain't getting out of Top 5 probably gone by #2. Trabisky trade up target for someone if not picked #1. Too high for Mahomes. Leaves Howard or Davis. Howard has the big school pedigree so I'm guessing that's the pick based on those clues. Anyone see someone I'm missing?

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          I would not be surprised to see him a Charger despite how pissed many here would be.

Yeah cause we're not pissed off enough already.....
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
            Ok I think I sniffed out the trade down but, offensive player at #7 they have rated higher than Williams, McCaffrey or Watson? Fournette, Trabisky, OJ Howard, Mahomes or Davis. Fournette ain't getting out of Top 5 probably gone by #2. Trabisky trade up target for someone if not picked #1. Too high for Mahomes. Leaves Howard or Davis. Howard has the big school pedigree so I'm guessing that's the pick based on those clues. Anyone see someone I'm missing?
            Would have to be Howard or Davis, based on the lot of speculation in that article. I'd guess Howard. And how stupid just to not name the player.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              Yeah cause we're not pissed off enough already.....
              You're still a fan right? Im not clued in to which members are still fans or not. So im just asking. Are you?

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Would have to be Howard or Davis, based on the lot of speculation in that article. I'd guess Howard. And how stupid just to not name the player.
                " Think of where we struggled Late last year..". not much of a clue either...haha

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                  " Think of where we struggled Late last year..". not much of a clue either...haha
                  LOL. That could be the oline, WR, TE and 3rd down RB.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Broncos trying to move up to Titans spot. I think they could feel the Chargers are eyeing McCaffrey.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                      Hooker seems like he is falling in some of the mock's, no real data to support this but I have seen a few where he is no longer in the top 10. As I said before, the fact that tackling is a short coming with him makes me want to stay away. I don't want another bad tackling safety!

Fleet and FTO, I would love to know why Thomas is your guy. I mean, other than the fact that he is a talented player and all. Is there something about him specifically that makes you think he is the perfect fit in Bradley's D? I trust both of your opinions, in fact Fleet, I was totally on-board with both Gordon and Bosa PRE-DRAFT because of your analysis, but for some reason I am just not excited about Thomas. Why am I wrong?
                      I hear you man. First of all its his hands. They are similar to Bosas. 2nd of all its his production. He pops off the film and has a variety of moves. 3rd his versatility is amazing. He is extremely similar to Bosa. I felt this way prior to his combine. 4th his combine numbers were even way more impressive than i expected. I just see a Joey Bosa type player in Thomas. He can do it all. At his size he could even play standing up. The only thing i think Bosa will do better is lining up in a wide 9. I just dont think Thomas is quite as good at rounding the corner as Bosa. Its a center of gravity thing. But i think both guys could play 5T.

Thing is he may end up inside of Bosa at 3T and Joey at Leo with Ingram at SAM on Under looks. You can still send just 4 guys and keep defenses wondering which guys. He also slides inside with Bosa and Ingram at DE in a traditional 43.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Draft Rumors: Cowboys, Conley, McCaffrey
                        April 27th, 2017 at 3:12pm CST by Zach Links
                        Let’s round up the latest NFL Draft rumors:

The Cowboys should not been overlooked as a possible destination when it comes to Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley, Tom Pelissero of USA Today tweets. Dallas need cornerback help and, as Pelissero notes, they’re used to taking risks. Dallas had Conley in for a visit and also phoned him on Wednesday.

Conley, of course, is dealing with allegations of rape, and could fall as far as the third round. If he’s cleared of all charges, Conley could represent an excellent value for the Cowboys at the end of Round 1.

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter) gets the sense that Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey is likely to go in the top ten. One NFL GM told Schefter that McCaffrey “had the best combine workout I’ve seen. Ever.” McCaffrey has been linked to the top-10 range for some time, and a number of clubs within that space make sense as a landing spot. The Eagles, sitting at No. 14, are reportedly “infatuated” with McCaffrey, but understand they may have to trade ahead of Carolina.

Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com (on Twitter) wouldn’t be shocked if the Chargers beat the Panthers to the punch on selecting McCaffrey. Los Angeles used a first-round pick on running back Melvin Gordon in 2015, and he broke out with 10 rushing touchdowns during his sophomore campaign. However, the Chargers did lose Danny Woodhead in free agency, and McCaffrey would presumably fill Woodhead’s passing down role with aplomb.

The Ravens‘ interest in Corey Davis is real, Peter Schrager of NFL Network tweets. Baltimore owns the No. 16 overall pick, and is certainly in the market for a wide receiver after losing Steve Smith to retirement. Former first-round pick Breshad Perriman has been injured during much of his NFL tenure, so the Ravens could use another pass-catcher to pair with Mike Wallace. Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reported a strong link between Davis and the Ravens on Wednesday.

Both UCLA linebacker Takkarist McKinley and Washington wide receiver John Ross could slide due to their medical history, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. Both players underwent surgery during the predraft process. While McKinley and Ross are certainly considered talented prospects, interested clubs will have to weigh injury risk against potential upside.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

Interesting?
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X