• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Its weak there big time and they wont sit a couple years. They will sit three years with one year left on their deal and could pull a Osweiler and leave. I dont want to overdraft a QB to sit three years. I know this isnt fair to say but it is there.....no Texas Tech QB has done a thing in thr NFL. Well there is Billy Joe "Overthrow" Tolliver if you want to count him but after 11 years he numbers suck. I believe he has the longest tenure by far.

I know some will point to Dak as a success for a mid rounder but he has the best OL in Dallas and a good run game. How do they think he would of done here? My guess, not so well.

I love Rivers, but am not convinced he has 3 very productive years left in that right arm. I think we need to draft a QB when we feel that the right one is there, even if it's a 2nd rounder this yr. To not draft a developmental QB except for Sorensen and Crompton in the last 10 yrs is inept. If we drafted a QB this yr, and somehow found ourselves in position to take Darnold next yr, and were convinced that Darnold is a can't miss like Luck was, then we would have to take Darnold, and trade the QB selected this yr.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
      I love Rivers, but am not convinced he has 3 very productive years left in that right arm. I think we need to draft a QB when we feel that the right one is there, even if it's a 2nd rounder this yr. To not draft a developmental QB except for Sorensen and Crompton in the last 10 yrs is inept. If we drafted a QB this yr, and somehow found ourselves in position to take Darnold next yr, and were convinced that Darnold is a can't miss like Luck was, then we would have to take Darnold, and trade the QB selected this yr.
      So use two high picks on a QB? More than that really because we would have to trade up for Darnold. Thats just bad drafting imo. Rivers can play three more years. Its the fucking front office that cant seem to get him a OL worth a shit. It has been the front offices achilles heel for years and it wont change for some other QB.

Comment

• Attack
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        So use two high picks on a QB? More than that really because we would have to trade up for Darnold. Thats just bad drafting imo. Rivers can play three more years. Its the fucking front office that cant seem to get him a OL worth a shit. It has been the front offices achilles heel for years and it wont change for some other QB.
        When saying if we "somehow found ourselves in position to take Darnold next year", I meant that if we had an opportunity to take him without trading up to do so, which would likely mean Rivers going down early this upcoming season and the Chargers having the #1 pick in 2018.

Comment

• Boltsfan70
          East Coast Chargers Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
          • Send PM

Man I hope Barkley does not go to the Browns. The kid is from my high school.

Comment

• chargerkdb
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Hotter than hell, Georgia
            • Send PM

I think next year looks like a better QB class overall. If we can establish a good run game and keep Philip from having to chuck it 40x a game we should be able to draft a guy next year and give him 2 seasons before we "need" him ready. We have to carry a QB on the active roster and or lose them on PS. That's costs us depth/special teams guys.

I really wish the league would sponsor a 12-14 team farm league. It doesn't need to be NFL Europe or USFL. Put 2 or 3 teams in Mexico and some non-NFL cities in US. There just isn't anywhere to really develop a player anymore. If players are lucky they will get 20-25 college games and then it's sink or swim in the NFL with a bunch of guys playing musical rosters. I heard the owners were considering something. Anyone heard anything about that?

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Im absolutely hoping we just wait until next year for a QB. There will be good QBs all throughout the 1st most likely. We can grab one in the back of the 1st.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I'm not sure it would even have to be more than 8-10 teams. They just need to figure out a way to get younger players practice time followed by game experience in NFL style systems with NFL caliber coaches.

Sooner or later, the way that colleges don't develop the types of players the NFL is looking for is going to force a developmental league. The only thing stopping it is that NFL owners don't want to fund it. They want a bussiness model that makes the teams independant, and economically viable. Sooner or later, the NFL will start to pitch in, and will hammer out the details that seem to hang some teams up on the issue.

John Clayton was talking about a developmental league starting to gain traction at the end of last season, but I haven't heard anything since.

The other thing teams could do is get the NFLPA to stop being moronic about practice rules and allow teams to carry larger PS and active rosters. The game day rosters are fine, although if they wanted to let teams activate everyone that wouldn't hurt. Currently, you can't activate guys on game day unless you play start or play ST. If you had a 53 man active roster, you could afford to have 1 or 2 guys who could actually be activated and only play skill positions. Guys like Malcolm Floyd would be active every weak early in their careers and get through that annoying good enough in practice but has to play to get over the hump phase.

I'm not totally against the QB thing, but in such a strong, deep class, how many good players are you going to pass for with this crop of QB. I think some of these guys can develop if you are patient. But how much of that do you want to do if you can add key pieces later in the draft (pass rushers, S.....). Those spots are usually thin, and now we are faced with decent developmental guys who will be availible much later than is the norm.
                Last edited by Steve; 04-17-2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

The rub is that if it can carry its own water then it's really a competitor. If some aspiring owner had a team that was economically successful he would want to lobby for expansion to the league at some point.

I think it really needs to be league owned and run. With the current NFL model teams could play in front of empty stadiums and still be successful because game day revenue is a small portion of their gross. Farm teams would need to be essentially sustainable from game day revenue and any tv revenue would likely be small.

The current league along with NFLPA is absolutely working against their own interests with development. They really can't sustain injuries and concussion settlements etc and not cut back on padded practices and reduce offseason workouts. The practice squads aren't any good at development because you can easily lose the rights to a decent prospect.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

If the players on the OL are more developed/better and the players on the DL are more developed/better, is the game better?

Teams that have found a way to develop players in house are better than those that haven't. And that gives them a competitive advantage.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                    X