• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

After watching most of this link I have to agree with you. At least for portions of this one game. ha

His hands are okay but not Bosa-like (he remains blocked too long in my opinion) and he doesn't move around as well as Bosa. In fact he looks kind of slow considering he's a bit undersized. Maybe that's just me. Of course Washington was a good team last season (I'm guessing this was last year).

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Hes a great player. But he dosnt have Bosa's hands. Not many rookies will. Thomas is close. Garrett isnt.

His 3 cone is 7.5 compared to Bosa's 6.8. He wont have Bosa's explosion on the edge. He is very slow compared to Bosa. You hope he can use his skillset on the inside. I dont see the Bennett comparison.

I think hes probably a 5T or traditional 3T.
      After watching that game-tape I'm with you 100%. Dude is slow. Not close to being a Bosa. But, of course, few are. Seems like writers get carried away in these evaluations. Or they simply don't watch any tape (or games).

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

A lot of his pressure come's in the nickel package. Most NCAA team's will run a 4-2-5 type of defense on obvious pass downs but Bama often removes its OLB and puts in a DB. So essentially they will use a 3-3 alignment in the front. A lot of his pressure comes from the interior despite being considered a DE. Hes still mainly getting pressure inside under Tackles from the 5 gap in. Hes not an outside 679 gap player. Bosa can play all of these alignments. Id use Allen at 5T or 3T in our Under look. He may be best at 3T. I dont know until we see what he does in camp. Maybe Reid moves to 5T. Reid played well for us. Im hoping he was a UFA gem for us. I probably designate Liuget a post June 1 cut if we draft Allen. And free up 6-7 million. Maybe roll it over or use it to fill in the gaps over camp.

In a traditional 43 he probably can play 3T with Bosa/Ingram at DE. He has a role for certain in this defense but hes not Bosa versatile.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          A lot of his pressure come's in the nickel package. Most NCAA team's will run a 4-2-5 type of defense on obvious pass downs but Bama often removes its OLB and puts in a DB. So essentially they will use a 3-3 alignment in the front. A lot of his pressure comes from the interior despite being considered a DE. Hes still mainly getting pressure inside under Tackles from the 5 gap in. Hes not an outside 679 gap player. Bosa can play all of these alignments. Id use Allen at 5T or 3T in our Under look. He may be best at 3T. I dont know until we see what he does in camp. Maybe Reid moves to 5T. Reid played well for us. Im hoping he was a UFA gem for us. I probably designate Liuget a post June 1 cut if we draft Allen. And free up 6-7 million. Maybe roll it over or use it to fill in the gaps over camp.

In a traditional 43 he probably can play 3T with Bosa/Ingram at DE. He has a role for certain in this defense but hes not Bosa versatile.
          I remember Reid. He was a playmaker. Fast for a big guy. I like that kind of player.

Is Allen better than Philon?

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Millionaire Pussy View Post
            I remember Reid. He was a playmaker. Fast for a big guy. I like that kind of player.

Is Allen better than Philon?
            Yeah. But does TT feel like we need to upgrade that position? Hes brought in Reid and Mebane. Drafted Bosa and Philon. We resigned Square. We have Carrethers/Liuget. Our run D improved quite a bit last year. He may be targeting a pass rusher or Safety. But he may also feel we are ok for now on the interior. Allen would be an upgrade over most of those guys other than Bosa/Mebane. And a good long term pick. But how long does TT get to produce a winning team? He may want to simply try and outscore teams after going heavy D last year. And draft a WR. If Allen was a force on the outside like Thomas is then it would be a no brainer. But hes not as athletic and will ultimately end up inside. Honestly id rather have Wormley in the 2nd or 3rd if it meant we were looking at a DT type. Something like this.

1. Hooker FS
            2. Wormley 5T/3T
            3. OL
            4. Darboh WR
            5. Douglas CB

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

FLEET, if it's not too much work could you tell me which games Jonathan Allen was great in? I want to see tape of him playing great.

Good (pertinent) question you're asking regarding TT's "grace period". Didn't he get re-signed recently? Mike Williams seems like the easy choice if you're looking for immediate help on offense. Of course that's all from what I read. Haven't seen any tape to verify.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Cool. Allen looked quicker off the block in 2015. Wonder if the shoulder injuries/surgery caused him to regress a bit.

He's definitely a horse inside. I noticed Washington doubled him on occasion. He gets penetration almost every play he's in that 3-gap - or thereabouts. That would be exciting to have.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Well believe it or not Bama dosnt produce many 1st round DL types. I think maybe one has panned out in the last 20 years with Dareus. But guys like Robinson last year really dropped. He was considered a top tier DT and many were shocked he fell so hard. Clearly Allen is a better prospect. But that program dosnt pop out top rated DT talent often. Players that are considered top tier prospects. And most of the guys that went in the 2nd round, Cody, Upshaw etc never did much. Its crazy that a school with so much talent every year produces so few DL prospects. Is it something in the water? Was the drop of Robinson last year a sign that teams dont trust the DL players in that Bama program? Maybe Allen drops as well?

I dont know but draft history isnt great for Bama DL players being drafted high. But i think most feel that Allen will be the next Dareus impact type player.

But if there was a thread that was asking for us to call players dropping....based on Bama success at the position over the last 20 years i would say Allen may be a good choice.

I think he will be a good player though. I just wonder if teams think the positional coaching at Bama is overrated for these guys and they only pan out in the NCAA because they are surrounded by the best players in the country. They produce a lot of good players at other positions though.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

I forget where I read it but some writer I recently came across on the net said that many of Alabama's drafted players are injured going into the draft. Seems to be a regular thing for them. Supposedly more often than for other schools.

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Dude's on some good drugs if he thinks Adams falls to #17 the guy has 4.33 speed, willing and effective tackler, good production, and the best intangibles in the top 10, a natural born leader and zero character issues. No way in hell he makes it past us at 7 no matter who else is on the board ... 17 ... that is just stupid...

Bonehead totally called it, he just forgot he was still on his board until #17

Comment

Working...
                        X