• Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

I will be ok with the Hooker selection. If we are going to run the Seahawks "Cover 3"... we need that guy out there that can play Center Field. (and also occasionally man up on a slot guy).

He's the best one of those in the draft.

(I'm still partial to Adams, but Hooker is a great consolation prize, IMO)
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Man oh man. I'm seeing absolutely no downside and only great things if we go Forrest Lamp at #7. He was my initial first round favorite after seeing him at the Combine and I think he is THE guy to get. I don't think it's wise to pass up a stud o-lineman. Especially when your own o-line is as uninspiring as ours. Yes, I still love McCaffrey but injury concern is an issue after last year for him. And for a guy as versatile as McCaffrey you want to use the guy a lot. But NOT if he's hurt.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Rambler
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • No Cal
        • Civil Research Attorney
        • Send PM

All right. It's time for my never-right attempt to deductively reason whom the Chargers pick. Of course, all bets are off if they trade down or up (please don't trade up).

Let's weed out certain positions. Offensive line may be a big need, but there's nobody worth taking at 7. QB may be a future need, but not for a few years, and no one in this draft deserves to go anywhere near this high. Inside linebacker is not a need, plus the only one here worth considering is knucklehead Foster. And kicker and punter can be safely crossed off the list.

Let's cross certain players at other positions off the list. We'll start with the one most mock drafts have us taking: Malik Hooker. One year wonder. That is not Telesco's M.O. Injury concerns, tackling issues- not the "hammer" type of player that TT went out of his way to draft a couple of years ago. I'd say the same with Lattimore-- 1 year, great physical tools, but chronic hamstring issues (and he'll probably be gone anyway). Cross off Fournette (but not McCaffrey, who is a complementary type of running back, not a bellcow like we think we have with Gordon already).

Who's left? Solomon Thomas would be a great pick, but unlikely to be there at 7. Adams the same. Jonathan Allen has the production, but also shoulder concerns-- I think he drops down into the teens. Barnett has the production, so he's a possibility. TT does like to draft at a position currently manned by a player set to become a free agent the next year (Ingram)-- he's then covered in case that player bolts to another team. What about the wide receivers? I don't think Williams is worth drafting that high (although Tennessee might end up picking him at 5 to make me look dumb)--plus I don't like his route-running and inability to get separation. I'd prefer Davis at wide receiver, but only at a trade-down, maybe at 12 if Cleveland trades up to get Trubisky.

So it could be Barnett, or maybe Thomas or Adams if they fall.

But I wonder if they end up going a totally different direction.

New team in town, needing to win over fans. Maybe they go offense?

McCaffrey makes a lot of sense. Exciting, big-play type of player. Fits in with Lynn's emphasis on run game, giving him 2 big-league running backs, both of whom can also catch out of the backfield (McCaffrey could be an outstanding 3rd down option). Not just a safety valve, a wide receiver-type talent who could run deep routes out of the backfield, to open up the field for others.

So I think it's McCaffrey.

But here's one wildcard that is almost as likely: OJ Howard. What? We drafted our tight end last year, right? And Gates will be back for one more year too (at least he's signed for another year). Still-- Howard is a pretty good blocker, in addition to being a seam-busting receiving tight end. How much better could our running game be with 2 good blocking tight ends (Gates at least tried to block some last year, but that's always been a deficiency in his game). And you're not telegraphing run with the 2 tight end set either, because both Howard and Henry are great receivers. You improve the run game, you balance your offense, and you get someone to replace Gates (Henry could too, but as good as he looked last year, Howard looks better).

Probably not, right? Still, maybe? Or, would we draft defense in the 1st round, and then hope to get a running back (Mixon) or tight end/wide receiver (Evan Engram) with our 2nd round pick (if they fall that far)?

I'll put the jinx officially on: we will pick McCaffrey in the 1st, or if he's gone, Howard. There. Make me look foolish, TT!

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Interior oline and a Defensive Tackle are what we are after. Picking at #7 I'd have to say right now J Allen but I just have a feeling we will trade out and pick around 20+, if that's the case it's anyone's guess, BPA at need position. We will be taking a WR somewhere and I have a feeling we will see a QB as early as 2-3 round.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

IF Forrest Lamp is truly as good as Zack Martin at Guard - as Mike Mayock maintains - don't you have to pick him? No matter what picking spot we're at? It might help keep Gordon healthy. At least we'll have one guy Gordon can run behind. And he can play at tackle as well? I saw him on tape so yes he can play tackle. I wonder if he can play Center too.

And what happened to that late round OL pick last year - Donovan Clarke? Is that his name? Is he still on the team? Is he healthy?
            For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Big Dog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post
              All right. It's time for my never-right attempt to deductively reason whom the Chargers pick. Of course, all bets are off if they trade down or up (please don't trade up).

Let's weed out certain positions. Offensive line may be a big need, but there's nobody worth taking at 7. QB may be a future need, but not for a few years, and no one in this draft deserves to go anywhere near this high. Inside linebacker is not a need, plus the only one here worth considering is knucklehead Foster. And kicker and punter can be safely crossed off the list.

Let's cross certain players at other positions off the list. We'll start with the one most mock drafts have us taking: Malik Hooker. One year wonder. That is not Telesco's M.O. Injury concerns, tackling issues- not the "hammer" type of player that TT went out of his way to draft a couple of years ago. I'd say the same with Lattimore-- 1 year, great physical tools, but chronic hamstring issues (and he'll probably be gone anyway). Cross off Fournette (but not McCaffrey, who is a complementary type of running back, not a bellcow like we think we have with Gordon already).

Who's left? Solomon Thomas would be a great pick, but unlikely to be there at 7. Adams the same. Jonathan Allen has the production, but also shoulder concerns-- I think he drops down into the teens. Barnett has the production, so he's a possibility. TT does like to draft at a position currently manned by a player set to become a free agent the next year (Ingram)-- he's then covered in case that player bolts to another team. What about the wide receivers? I don't think Williams is worth drafting that high (although Tennessee might end up picking him at 5 to make me look dumb)--plus I don't like his route-running and inability to get separation. I'd prefer Davis at wide receiver, but only at a trade-down, maybe at 12 if Cleveland trades up to get Trubisky.

So it could be Barnett, or maybe Thomas or Adams if they fall.

But I wonder if they end up going a totally different direction.

New team in town, needing to win over fans. Maybe they go offense?

McCaffrey makes a lot of sense. Exciting, big-play type of player. Fits in with Lynn's emphasis on run game, giving him 2 big-league running backs, both of whom can also catch out of the backfield (McCaffrey could be an outstanding 3rd down option). Not just a safety valve, a wide receiver-type talent who could run deep routes out of the backfield, to open up the field for others.

So I think it's McCaffrey.

But here's one wildcard that is almost as likely: OJ Howard. What? We drafted our tight end last year, right? And Gates will be back for one more year too (at least he's signed for another year). Still-- Howard is a pretty good blocker, in addition to being a seam-busting receiving tight end. How much better could our running game be with 2 good blocking tight ends (Gates at least tried to block some last year, but that's always been a deficiency in his game). And you're not telegraphing run with the 2 tight end set either, because both Howard and Henry are great receivers. You improve the run game, you balance your offense, and you get someone to replace Gates (Henry could too, but as good as he looked last year, Howard looks better).

Probably not, right? Still, maybe? Or, would we draft defense in the 1st round, and then hope to get a running back (Mixon) or tight end/wide receiver (Evan Engram) with our 2nd round pick (if they fall that far)?

I'll put the jinx officially on: we will pick McCaffrey in the 1st, or if he's gone, Howard. There. Make me look foolish, TT!

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

It won't be McCaffery. Guaranteed. No team can afford two first round RBs. Their cost is too high compared to their production.

See ESPN top story. I can't copy the link on an iPad.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Hooker. There are others I'd prefer, but he's the guy who will be there when we pick.

Drafts generally fall the way we think they will. There is substantial group think in football evaluation.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

What's crackin? I just got back from the future. Here's what happened in round 1.

1. Browns - Myles Garrett
                    2. 49ers - Solomon Thomas
                    3. Bears - Jonathan Allen
                    4. Jags - Leonard Fournette
                    5. Titans - Marshon Lattimore
                    6. Jets - O.J. Howard
                    7. Chokers - Jamal Adams
                    8. Panthers - Dalvin Cook
                    9. Bengals - Malik Hooker
                    10. Bills - Haason Reddick
                    11. Saints - Marlon Humphrey
                    12. Browns - Mitch Trubustsky
                    13. Cardinals - Deshaun Watson
                    14. Eagles - Mike Williams
                    15. Colts - Malik McDowell
                    16. Ravens - Ryan Ramxczykz
                    17. Redskins - Taco Charlton
                    18. Titans - Corey Davis
                    19. Buccaneers - Budda Baker
                    20. Broncos - Christian McCaffrey
                    21. Lions - Caleb Brantley
                    22. Dolphins - Reuben Foster
                    23. Giants - Jabrill Peppers
                    24. Raiders - Zach Cunningham
                    25. Texans - Patrick Mahomes
                    26. Seahawks - Forrest Lamp
                    27. Chiefs - Jarrad Davis
                    28. Cowboys - Sidney Jones
                    29. Packers - Tre'Davious White
                    30. Steelers - Ryan Anderson
                    31. Falcons - Cam Robinson
                    32. Saints - David Njoku

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                      What's crackin? I just got back from the future. Here's what happened in round 1.

1. Browns - Myles Garrett
                      2. 49ers - Solomon Thomas
                      3. Bears - Jonathan Allen
                      4. Jags - Leonard Fournette
                      5. Titans - Marshon Lattimore
                      6. Jets - O.J. Howard
                      7. Chokers - Jamal Adams
                      8. Panthers - Dalvin Cook
                      9. Bengals - Malik Hooker
                      10. Bills - Haason Reddick
                      11. Saints - Marlon Humphrey
                      12. Browns - Mitch Trubustsky
                      13. Cardinals - Deshaun Watson
                      14. Eagles - Mike Williams
                      15. Colts - Malik McDowell
                      16. Ravens - Ryan Ramxczykz
                      17. Redskins - Taco Charlton
                      18. Titans - Corey Davis
                      19. Buccaneers - Budda Baker
                      20. Broncos - Christian McCaffrey
                      21. Lions - Caleb Brantley
                      22. Dolphins - Reuben Foster
                      23. Giants - Jabrill Peppers
                      24. Raiders - Zach Cunningham
                      25. Texans - Patrick Mahomes
                      26. Seahawks - Forrest Lamp
                      27. Chiefs - Jarrad Davis
                      28. Cowboys - Sidney Jones
                      29. Packers - Tre'Davious White
                      30. Steelers - Ryan Anderson
                      31. Falcons - Cam Robinson
                      32. Saints - David Njoku
                      Thanks McFly......I'll just paste this into the Top 32 thread if u don't mind
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• UtahBolt
                        Did we win?
                        • Jun 2013
                        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                        • Send PM

I think if Garrett, Thomas, Allen and Adams are gone and McCaffery is there (which will happen), we trade back with someone who really wants McCaffery before Carolina (Philly?) and take Lamp. Then depending where the extra pick from the trade lands, we find a qb in rounds 2-4 while targeting safety and DL with our own picks.
                        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

My rank
                          THOMAS
                          ADAMS
                          Trade down
                          Allen
                          Mccaffrey
                          Hooker

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X