• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Coming out Feeney had a really good reputation for his lateral movement and quick feet. Which potentially makes him a decent pulling center. Something we had big plans for with Tuerk according to Hardwick. I think we have had some success with Pulley pulling as far as getting Gordon some lanes to run through in recent weeks but we are still seeing Gordon hit in the backfield so much. Some of that is probably MG's fault. I think its possible that over time Feeney could develop into a Center. But in the 3rd round if he turns out to be solid depth because we go after a guy like Nelson i wouldn't be upset with that. Considering 3rd rounders dont always last on this team. Especially OL. Dallas went Frederick in 2013 and followed that up with Martin in 2014. back to back mauling 1st rounders. I like that essentially Lamp is a rookie this year but putting a guy like Nelson on the other side would set us up long term. Get another RB to push Gordon and then when we transition into a new QB we have a Run game set up. Hopefully dominant enough to really help out the move to a new QB. You can see what Elliot and that run game have done for a 3rd round QB prospect in Dak. I think Nelson makes McGlinchey look better than he is.

LG - Lamp
    C - Feeney
    RG - Nelson

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

I'd prefer that our C is a true C (that can also play G if needed) that we draft rather than a G that we have to transition over to C. At the rate we're going now, winning out or finishing 9-7, we should be able to have a shot at a top C or 2nd rated G or a 2nd or 3rd rated interior D-lineman. If Lamp can play RT, if we pick a C or G, then that could be a solution. What about Wiggins in all of this? Seems like he gets lost in the discussion. Is he starting material next yr?

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

How is a C that can play OG a true C? Usually, when people talk about a true C, it means they are like Hardwick, a guy who only plays C.

I actually like Wiggins. I think he can be a serviceable OG. I think what Fleet is going for is a dominant interior, and Wiggins is just a solid player. I think he is the guy that lets us be really aggressive in the draft, because he can play multiple spots and do an OK job. But he is probably just a better backup who gives us depth at several spots. Better than many backups, but he just makes too many mistakes and breaks even too often to be a top player. He has gotten better the more he plays, so maybe he can continue to improve. I can't really see him starting next year, at least not before the injuries hit. Feeney and Lamp going into the offseason as the starters at OG, and that knocks Wiggins out of the lineup. Maybe if we find another C and Lamp moves to OT, but the Chargers seem pretty determined that Lamp is an OG, so I kinda don't think so.

I don't think we are going to have a chance to draft Nelson. I don't think he last very long, like maybe not even out of the top 10. Not many OG go high in the draft, but guys like Iupati and other great prospects can go high if someone really likes a play, and Nelson is a hard player to not like. You don't have to look at many videos of him playing before you see multiple pancakes, or him drive blocking a guy 10 yards downfield. My only knocks on the guy are all very minor. He needs some work refining his technique, but the pieces are basically there. He is more technically sound that some starting NFL linemen. He also doesn't look that quick, but I think he is quicker than he looks. The guy just doesn't get beaten very often and he kicks a lot of ass the rest of the time.

The knock on him is going to be that he isn't very athletic, and I understand why I keep reasoning behind that, but I disagree. He is like Dan Fouts. He looks stiff and like he is just a straight ahead roadgrader who is just a mauler. But he actually adjusts to blitzers and coming off double teams very well. There are tons of plays I see where he sees things, then hands off his man, or throws him aside, and blocks the 2nd man. Or he gets caught off guard and looks beaten, only to recover and finish his man. There is just a difference between looking athletic and being athletic. Nelson doesn't look athletic, but he actually is.

I think Nelson makes McGlinchey look better than he is too. Nelson does a really good job of helping the guys around him out, which is another quality we could really use.

Like I said, I think we have to trade up to get him, which I am OK with. I really, really like Nelson. Like as much as I liked Jack Conklin and Joey Bosa 2 years ago like.

Comment

• Attack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          How is a C that can play OG a true C? Usually, when people talk about a true C, it means they are like Hardwick, a guy who only plays C.

I actually like Wiggins. I think he can be a serviceable OG. I think what Fleet is going for is a dominant interior, and Wiggins is just a solid player. I think he is the guy that lets us be really aggressive in the draft, because he can play multiple spots and do an OK job. But he is probably just a better backup who gives us depth at several spots. Better than many backups, but he just makes too many mistakes and breaks even too often to be a top player. He has gotten better the more he plays, so maybe he can continue to improve. I can't really see him starting next year, at least not before the injuries hit. Feeney and Lamp going into the offseason as the starters at OG, and that knocks Wiggins out of the lineup. Maybe if we find another C and Lamp moves to OT, but the Chargers seem pretty determined that Lamp is an OG, so I kinda don't think so.

I don't think we are going to have a chance to draft Nelson. I don't think he last very long, like maybe not even out of the top 10. Not many OG go high in the draft, but guys like Iupati and other great prospects can go high if someone really likes a play, and Nelson is a hard player to not like. You don't have to look at many videos of him playing before you see multiple pancakes, or him drive blocking a guy 10 yards downfield. My only knocks on the guy are all very minor. He needs some work refining his technique, but the pieces are basically there. He is more technically sound that some starting NFL linemen. He also doesn't look that quick, but I think he is quicker than he looks. The guy just doesn't get beaten very often and he kicks a lot of ass the rest of the time.

The knock on him is going to be that he isn't very athletic, and I understand why I keep reasoning behind that, but I disagree. He is like Dan Fouts. He looks stiff and like he is just a straight ahead roadgrader who is just a mauler. But he actually adjusts to blitzers and coming off double teams very well. There are tons of plays I see where he sees things, then hands off his man, or throws him aside, and blocks the 2nd man. Or he gets caught off guard and looks beaten, only to recover and finish his man. There is just a difference between looking athletic and being athletic. Nelson doesn't look athletic, but he actually is.

I think Nelson makes McGlinchey look better than he is too. Nelson does a really good job of helping the guys around him out, which is another quality we could really use.

Like I said, I think we have to trade up to get him, which I am OK with. I really, really like Nelson. Like as much as I liked Jack Conklin and Joey Bosa 2 years ago like.

I'm thinking of a guy that is playing C in college now, and we draft as a C to play C for us. Not a guy that is playing another position now and we draft and try to convert to C. If he could play G in an emergency, then that would be a plus, but not really looking for that to be necessary.

Comment

• whookimane
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Why are we talking about things like tankathon and moving our draft pick up. Vegas currently has us as the 3rd best odds to win the superbowl out of the afc and 7th best odds overall. I fully expect this 14 draft pick at the moment to be in the 20s

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Bolt-O commented
              Editing a comment
              The draft pick will be at 21 at the start of the playoffs, if they make the playoffs (then 25,29,31 or 32 with each stage of the playoffs). The way it looks now, if they don't, I could see 3 other non-playoff teams having worse records, which will put them at 17.

I want the 32nd pick. LOL.
          • Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Agreed Steve i doubt hes there. At 14 maybe. But i also think we are drafting in the 20's.

I think its probable that Telesco feels Lamp is a sufficient enough upgrade on the interior. I think the staff may end up sticking with what we have and developing them. Im probably going to head into the draft not expecting interior OL to be high on the board after taking Lamp and Feeney. This is just something i wouldn't mind doing with Nelson. Ive always felt that a dominant run game can carry a team. I went into the draft wanting a 2 headed monster at RB. McCaffrey hasn't looked like a stud behind the QB but his pass catching out of the backfield has looked great. I think the idea was correct as we saw it work last year for Atlanta with a ton of misdirection and now Sark seems to be doing things differently. Then you have Ingram paired with Kamara and the Saints are unstoppable almost on offense. I like the 2 RB idea with Ekeler as a Woody type. But hes sort of starting to make me wonder if hes a sufficient RB2. I mean what would Ekeler do if he was given a full load? He simply just keeps making plays. Hes close to the size of MJD. Just a tad lighter. Hes pound for pound the strongest guy on the team according to the staff. Im not sure i go into next year thinking hes the main #2....and im most likely pushing for a RB in the middle rounds.

I dont want to skip a beat in the run game. But i do want to be able to run the ball as i think it keeps Rivers from taking so many shots...eats up way more clock....and keeps the defense fresh. Plus im really tired of seeing Gordon hit in the backfield so much. And if its trully an MG issue then it makes sense to prepare for his possible departure if we dont lock him up. Hes starting to remind me of my son...who has the same build. Really long legs...great long strider....but has difficulty cutting without losing some speed. Whenever he makes a cut they catch him.

The Pats and Eagles are also using a deep stable of RBs. Interior run blocking and a guy to push MG or even bench him due to productivity puts this O over the top. Solid D and running the ball has really helped the Jags. Titans somewhat.

Comment

• whookimane
              whookimane commented
              Editing a comment
              He doesnt have anywhere close to the size and power of a MJD. I know hes strong in the weight room but that doesnt really carry over much in terms of running with power. I look at ekeler as more of a theo riddick type, i dont think he should really be a true 2nd rb in the way that kamara and ingram are a 1 - 2 punch. I think eklers ceiling is simply a good 3rd down back.

I agree with Melvin Gordon. The thing I dont get is he has completely changed his running style in the pros. In college he had the running style of a jamaal charles and now he has turned himself into a pure power back. I would like to see him lose some weight and gain more speed and elusiveness his upper body is enormous he doesnt look as fluid and quick as he used to be with all this added muscle mass

• Fleet
              Fleet commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree i was just trying to find someone with similar height that was a solid #1 RB. And MJD im pretty sure played at 220 at one point. His frame is designed for weight. Look at him now. Hes probably 240. Chunky little guy but his legs were huge. I still think Ekeler is a Sproles/Compliment type. Id like to bring in a guy like Penny. You can find stud RBs in the 4th round. And since we struggle to even keep guys drafted in the 4th on the roster...i think a #2 RB is a relatively safe pick in that range. They tend to pay off in that round. It pushes Gordon and gives us a potential replacement while also giving us the potential to deploy a 2 RB attack from an early down standpoint. Im just not sold on Gordon at the moment. Hes not able to cut without losing a bunch of speed. His legs are so damn long. He would benefit if we had an interior that could open holes and he was able to let those holes open then burst through them. Similar to Bell. His hands however have really been impressive. That sidline catch he made was no joke.
          • richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Agreed Steve i doubt hes there. At 14 maybe. But i also think we are drafting in the 20's.
            Don't you mean 32nd???

Comment

• Fleet
              Fleet commented
              Editing a comment
              I dont want to jinx it. But i like the positive thinking going on here.
          • Charged4Life
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

I think its probable that Telesco feels Lamp is a sufficient enough upgrade on the interior. I think the staff may end up sticking with what we have and developing them. Im probably going to head into the draft not expecting interior OL to be high on the board after taking Lamp and Feeney. This is just something i wouldn't mind doing with Nelson. Ive always felt that a dominant run game can carry a team. I went into the draft wanting a 2 headed monster at RB. McCaffrey hasn't looked like a stud behind the QB but his pass catching out of the backfield has looked great. I think the idea was correct as we saw it work last year for Atlanta with a ton of misdirection and now Sark seems to be doing things differently. Then you have Ingram paired with Kamara and the Saints are unstoppable almost on offense. I like the 2 RB idea with Ekeler as a Woody type. But hes sort of starting to make me wonder if hes a sufficient RB2. I mean what would Ekeler do if he was given a full load? He simply just keeps making plays. Hes close to the size of MJD. Just a tad lighter. Hes pound for pound the strongest guy on the team according to the staff. Im not sure i go into next year thinking hes the main #2....and im most likely pushing for a RB in the middle rounds.

I dont want to skip a beat in the run game. But i do want to be able to run the ball as i think it keeps Rivers from taking so many shots...eats up way more clock....and keeps the defense fresh. Plus im really tired of seeing Gordon hit in the backfield so much. And if its trully an MG issue then it makes sense to prepare for his possible departure if we dont lock him up. Hes starting to remind me of my son...who has the same build. Really long legs...great long strider....but has difficulty cutting without losing some speed. Whenever he makes a cut they catch him.

The Pats and Eagles are also using a deep stable of RBs. Interior run blocking and a guy to push MG or even bench him due to productivity puts this O over the top. Solid D and running the ball has really helped the Jags. Titans somewhat.
            FLEET, I know a way you can be Chargers GM and you wouldn't have to answer any media questions. You could hire me as your GM assistant. I'll take care of the media. I'll just tell them to go to Lynn. Lynn loves to talk to the media. We both agree on the importance of a dependable running game. So don't forget your first move as main Chargers GM...hire Fred! Then I can tell the media where to go. That's my job.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged4Life View Post

FLEET, I know a way you can be Chargers GM and you wouldn't have to answer any media questions. You could hire me as your GM assistant. I'll take care of the media. I'll just tell them to go to Lynn. Lynn loves to talk to the media. We both agree on the importance of a dependable running game. So don't forget your first move as main Chargers GM...hire Fred! Then I can tell the media where to go. That's my job.
              Lets do it.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Round 1 - OT, DT, or SS-OLB whoever is the highest rated.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Attack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Send PM

FSU S Derwin James has declared for the draft.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• whookimane
                      whookimane commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As much as I agree with you on Baker Mayfield I just have trouble believing the chargers would make that move if we are picking in the 20s. If we are picking in that 20s I believe the draft approach will be similar to last year (getting philip rivers help). The only way I see us having a shot at baker mayfield is if this season goes down the drain or he falls to us in the 2nd round. I would love to be wrong though
                  Working...
                  X