Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Athlon Sports another Josh Allen

John Elway is going to take a long look at all the quarterbacks in this draft but might find free agency as a way to address things under center in Denver first. With that spot possibly taken care of before going to Dallas for the draft, the team instead nabs the highest-graded lineman available and forms a pretty athletic wall on the left side with 2017 first-round pick Garett Bolles at tackle. Perhaps the team will offer a haul of picks to move up and draft a quarterback like Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen but either way, offensive line will be a big priority in 2018. Brown could be a starter early on with the mammoth Sooners star debuting on the right side before protecting the blind side. Talk about luck as the Bucs see the highest-graded defensive player in the draft fall in their lap to fill a position of need. There will be quite a bit of turnover in the trenches for the team in the next few years and it might not be long before Chubb (right) takes over for Gerald McCoy as the leader of the D-line. Just about any position could be targeting at this spot by the 49ers given how many needs they could address with all that cap room they have. Finding Jimmy Garoppolo some weapons will be big need but Jackson is a super talented corner who could play a huge role in shoring up the back end of the defense against the pass. Decisions await the Dolphins as to what they want to do at the quarterback position and the big-armed signal-caller has to be extremely intriguing as a long-term play for Adam Gase and company. Ted Thompson may be occupying a different chair in Green Bay but new GM Brian Gutekunst will stick to the same old draft strategy by grabbing the best player available. That would be Fitzpatrick (right), who would form quite the tandem with fellow Alabama safey Ha Ha Clinton-Dix roaming the frozen tundra. plenty of upside for the team now and in the future. Mayfield teaming up with Larry Fitzgerald will be good for both on and off the field too. Everybody will immediately think back to when the Ravens drafted Haloti Ngata nearly a decade ago with this pick and there are plenty of similarities between the two freakish defensive linemen. Vea is on a whole different level in terms of athleticism and seems tailored to making plays in the rough AFC North. The Dallas defense got some solid production from Maliek Collins and David Irving last season but still need more impact players up front to anchor the middle. With Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia looking like the guy in Detroit, he will probably review the roster and prioritize finding an edge rusher or two in the draft. Okoronkwo fits the bill and he already has plenty of experience chasing down mobile quarterbacks after facing off against Baker Mayfield every day in practice. Tyrod Taylor may not be back in Buffalo but an upgrade at the position in a similar mold could be in store with the pick of the Heisman winner. New OC Brian Daboll has experience from his year at Alabama in bringing young QBs along and fitting his system to them and could do the same with Jackson. After having Blake Bortles inexplicably slice up the secondary in the playoffs, finding some help on the back end of the defense will be the big talk around the Steel City this offseason. Elliott was an interception machine this past season and should provide a ball-hawking boost to the Steelers. Marqise Lee will probably be enticed elsewhere after this wild playoff run for the Jags but the team could actually upgrade the position by slotting home-run threat Washington into his spot on the two-deep with this pick. While there might be internal strife and plenty of folks wondering how long the Bill Belichick-Tom Brady combo will continue to win big in New England, the fact is the window for the franchise remains open for the next few years to add even more Lombardi Trophies. Adding pieces to the defense will come later in the draft after the team finds a big, physical wideout on the outside to complement all the other weapons Brady has at his disposal for the most dangerous offense in the league.

*Picks 1-28 are set with the exception of Nos. 9 and 10. Oakland and San
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I am not a huge fan of Orlando Brown.

Brown is not the best run blocker in the top of the draft. He destroys people who line up over him. Anyone lined up on him, or on a shade, he can just drive block off the line. He can block down, and collapse the whole DL. On backside runs, he allows guys to get across his face and tackle the RB for a loss. He is also not very good blocking on the 2nd level. He doesn't combo well, or hit moving targets. I just don't see a lot of NFL defenses leaving a DE for him to destroy when he is so easy to beat in other ways. I think he struggles in a running offense. His lack of quickness and low energy style are a problem if he has to hustle in short areas to beat a man to the punch in the running game.

As far as his pass protection goes, he is pretty good. He is not super quick, but he understands pass protection. Fluker was a horrible pass blockers because he was too aggressive and liked to engage DL at the line, and never gave space. Fluker wanted to kill the guy at the line. Brown likes to engage close to the line, but he can deep set and he is very patient. He is a low energy guy who takes away angles and once he gets his hands on a guy, that guy gets no movement. He is a $20 cap ride around, and he knows how to use his size. His feet are OK, but he is mostly a size and technique guy. Again, he lacks some quickness, and sometimes quick guys will get under him, but in pass protection he can usually just rag doll them.

In short, I see him as backup style OL. If he can play with better leverage and improve his quickness, and really work on his teamwork in the running game, he has a chance to be a decent NFL OL. But he is too slow to be in a power offense and not athletic enough to play in a zone. I see him as a very solid backup or swing OT who is a liability in the run game. You can run behind him, but anything else is a problem.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I wrote a review a couple weeks ago on Jackson, but I don't think he can be a starting caliber QB. Another position might be a better fit. Problem is that he has an NFL arm and is an accurate thrower, but cannot read defenses and trys to run all the time like Tim Tebow. He doesn't have Tebow's size and physicality.

I am not sure I agree that Derwin James is the next Cam Chancellor, but he is a great athlete who can be a role player right away and develop into a great player in our secondary. I just haven't seen him enough to know where. He has made some plays as a deep S, and some in the box. He needs to tackle and learn more position specific skills, as well as how to read NFL offenses.

I would love Maurice Hurst, but I don't think there is any way he gets to us. He is the best 3 tech DT and someone will take a risk on him because he has the big play potential. He would be a great fit if we move Liuget to NT or cut him for cap purposes.

I like Payne way better that the other NT types in this draft. While he is not an impact player, we need help at DL and NT is a need given Mebanes age. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have both around for a year. Payne is a great stunt player, so he adds some pass rush on early downs. Is never going to be a great pass rusher, but he moves well and can maintain contain and chase down screens and draws so other players can rush the QB.

Vea needs a lot of work, like all the Washington DL do. Like a lot of the other big guys, he needs to overcome the shitty technique that Washington teaches to learn how to be an NFL player. Like Danny Shelton for Cleveland, he is a couple of years away despite better physical tools.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Mel Kiper Jr. has Chargers taking DT Da'Ron Payne in first mock draftJan 18, 2018

• Eric D. WilliamsESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- In his first mock draft of the year, ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Los Angeles Chargers selecting Alabama defensive tackle Brandon Mebanegetting long in the tooth and the Chargers struggling to stop the run last season, Kiper believes the Chargers need some help up front defensively. 2018 NFL DRAFT

When: April 26-28
          Where: Arlington, Texas
          | In his first mock draft released in mid-December, ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay had the Chargers selecting Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield as an eventual replacement for Philip Rivers.

Analysis of the pick:Cincinnati Bengals at No. 11 is Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Charley Casserly mock draft 1.0: Colts snag Saquon Barkley
            • By Charley Casserly
            • NFL Media analyst
            • Published: Feb. 13, 2018 at 08:53 a.m.
            • Updated: Feb. 13, 2018 at 02:45 p.m.

With the NFL Scouting Combine (March 2-5 on NFL Network) just around the corner, here's my first mock of the 2018 NFL Draft.
            NOTE: There's a tie for the ninth overall pick. A coin flip between the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders will determine which team picks first.

PICK

Sam Darnold - QB, USC

Darnold is the best QB in the draft.

PICK

Josh Rosen - QB, UCLA

The Giants land the most pro-ready QB in the draft.

PICK

Saquon Barkley - RB, Penn State

Andrew Luck gets a dominant runner.

PICK

Minkah Fitzpatrick - DB, Alabama

A versatile talent who can play CB or S.

PICK

Marcus Davenport - OLB, UTSA

Davenport is an excellent pass rusher; best as a 3-4 OLB.

PICK

Baker Mayfield - QB, Oklahoma

Will Mayfield have the best NFL career of any QB in this class?

PICK

Bradley Chubb - DE, N.C. State

Improving the pass rush is a major need for Tampa Bay.

PICK

Calvin Ridley - WR, Alabama

The Bears get Mitchell Trubisky a weapon with this pick.

PICK

Denzel Ward - CB, Ohio State

With Bradley Chubb off the board, the 49ers fill their next biggest need on defense.

PICK

Tremaine Edmunds - LB, Virginia Tech

Edmunds is the best all-around LB in the draft.

PICK

Roquan Smith - LB, Georgia

Smith's an excellent athlete who excels in coverage.

PICK

Quenton Nelson - OG, Notre Dame

The Bengals land the best player in the draft. They bypass a bigger need at OT to get Nelson.

PICK

Vita Vea - DT, Washington

With Vea and Jonathan Allen, the D-line all of a sudden becomes a strength of the team.

PICK

Mike Hughes - CB, UCF

Hughes is a versatile CB who can play both off and press coverage.

PICK

Josh Allen - QB, Wyoming

Allen will be the fourth QB off the board. Arizona would do cartwheels if he were still available here. Someone will probably trade up to get him, and maybe Arizona will be the team to do it.

PICK

Mike McGlinchey - OT, Notre Dame

This gives the Ravens a bookend OT with Ronnie Stanley.

PICK

Rashaan Evans - LB, Alabama

A DT is also a possibility here.

PICK

Arden Key - DE, LSU

With questions about whether Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril will be with the Seahawks next season, a pass rusher will be needed.

PICK

Taven Bryan - DT, Florida

Bryan has excellent upfield quickness. He fits Rod Marinelli's scheme.

PICK

Da'Ron Payne - DT, Alabama

Strong player vs. the run, and he has some pass-rush potential.

PICK

Billy Price - C, Ohio State

The first priority for Buffalo should be to trade up to get a QB. If that doesn't work out, then Price can replace Eric Wood at center.

PICK

Josh Jackson - CB, Iowa

The Bills get a bookend CB to pair with Tre'Davious White.

PICK

Isaiah Oliver - CB, Colorado

Trumaine Johnson is due to become a free agent, and CB is already a weakness for the Rams.

PICK

Christian Kirk - WR, Texas A&M

The Panthers need a speedy WR. Kirk fits the bill.

PICK

James Daniels - C/OG, Iowa

Help is needed on the interior of the Titans' O-line.

PICK

Isaiah Wynn - OG, Georgia

He played left tackle in college but fits best as a guard at the next level.

PICK

Harold Landry - DE/OLB, Boston College

Landry racked up 16.5 sacks in 2016 before an injury-plagued senior season.

PICK

Derrius Guice - RB, LSU

I am not optimistic the Steelers will get a long-term deal done with Le'Veon Bell, which is why Guice makes sense here.

PICK

Connor Williams - OT, Texas

TE and WR are also a possibility here.

PICK

Derwin James - S, FSU

Solidifies the safety position opposite Harrison Smith.

PICK

Harrison Phillips - DT, Stanford

Phillips is a run-stopper. He fills a need for New England.

PICK

Donte Jackson - CB, LSU

Philly has worked to improve the CB position, but the Eagles still need help there.

Last edited by Formula 21; 02-13-2018, 04:53 PM.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              Weird draft. If we stand pat on the DL, makes sense. Take Settle in the 2nd.
              Last edited by blueman; 02-13-2018, 05:50 PM.
          • Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess I disagree, I like Payne better.
          • Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

I like Vea. I like Hurst. I think Payne could be a little combo of both. I still really like Hurst but he seems to be falling... most likely by false advertising from team officials. I just like guys who spend a lot of their time making stops behind the LOS. So Hurst and guys like Phillips and McIntosh look like good prospects to me.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I think Vea is the top guy in mock drafts. NFL teams have nothing to do with mock drafts. All this up and down that goes on this time of year is the information/disinformation campaigns that teams wage to try and get the guys they want. I don't see Vea as the top DT.

Vea is a guy who has not been very productive to date. It is hard to look at him and see how his style of play in college is going to translate to the NFL. He has the physical tools to make the transition. At the very least, he could be another Danny Shelton type NT, and Shelton is starting to actually play well after starting to develop his technique in his 3rd year. Shelton is widely considered a failure in many circles because he was supposed to be another Haloti Ngata type guy, even though he was never as quick and fast, and he has taken a fairly long time to develop. Now Cleveland needs to decide if they want to do the 5th year tender before the start of the season.

The point with Vea is that do you want to project such a high draft pick into the type of player he is. I see the potential. he is big and quick enough to be another Ngata, so I get why people are in lover with him. He has a lot of work to do on his technique, and he had all last year to work on that, and he is only fractionally better (if at all) after 2016. When I look at our successful draft picks, especially the ones who come in and play immediately, it is because they have some technique to start with. Bosa was one of the best fundamentals guys coming out of college in some time, and it translated to him being an instant success.

Hurst has to be the top guy, IMHO. He is a guy who makes splash plays. If you are tackling a RB in the backfield for a 3 to 5 yard loss, the other team has to pass on 2nd or 3rd down. His pass rush will flush the QB out to Ingram and/or Bosa, and he should clean up when they force the QB to step up into his rush. The same thing could be said of Vea and Payne, but neither of them has the upfield speed and penetrating ability. Both are good players and since Hurst is going to be long gone by the time we pick, I can live with Payne, but I would much rather have Hurst.

Comment

• blueman
                blueman commented
                Editing a comment
                Or Bryan.
            • bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

What current NFL DT does Hurst compare to?
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

He'll probably get the Donald comparison simply because if his first step. DL in college with an extremely fast first step often equate to tackles in the backfield. His gap awareness and ability to get into the backfield make him one of the best if not the best in the country. Hes already being bashed and forced down in most Gurus mocks. Mostly because of the reports of NFL staffs saying hes just a 2nd rounder. But teams do this when they like players. I think hes a top 15 player. I think his combine will be much better than Jon Allens. And he went 17th overall. Hes a better more polished prospect than Allen. They are the same size essentially.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  chargerkdb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He is on the smallish side for a DT. Could explain why some not as bullish on him

• Steve
                  Steve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Allen was sort of a prototype 34 DE. Hurst is kinda a smallish 43 DT. Not really small, just small for an interior player, and with Payne (320+) and Vea (340+), he seems sorta small compared to some of the other players with similar grades.
              • chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                • Send PM

Last edited by chargerkdb; 02-14-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

There are always going to be some teams that don't like a particular guy. Some teams value size more than others. If you want big guys, than you would put a really low grade on Hurst. The other thing that is going to hurt Hurst is that he is not nearly as quick as Donald. Donald routinely beats OL because he is so quick you can't touch him. Hurst is quick, but he is not that quick. Hurst does an excellent job of beating guys with leverage and technique as well as quickness. He simply gets under blockers pads and then he can control much larger players. Donald is going to be the obvious comparison because of size, although Hurst is taller. But the guy who may be the closest is actually Jack Youngblood, who was a 34 and 43 DE for the Rams in the late 70's and 1980's and was voted into the hall of fame in 2001. Youngblood was very difficult to block because he could jack up any OL of the day. No OL could get lower than Youngblood, and I see some of that in Hurst. For teams that like the quick penetrating DT, then Hurst is going to have a really good grade.

Vea is the best choice if you love size. The guy is huge and he plays big. He is sloppy, but he dominates even with poor technique. If you don't fall into the planet person type of draft strategy, than you aren't going to grade Vea that high, which is what I don't like about him. It is largely a matter of preference. We all have preferences.

Comment

Working...
                  X