Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    It's not the drug... it's his judgement, and even though many may not agree with it, weed is a federally illicit drug. Besides that, the NFL still doesn't want its players to use it... it's in the CBA. If it was crack or roids... same thing... his judgement as an adult is in question. It may not be a big thing for some, but losing thousands in potential income for an indiscretion is.... DUMB!
    Exactly. Pot is a banned substance; it doesn't matter if "everyone is doing it". What many don't get is that the issue here is not if pot should, or should not, be banned. It's about a person's decision to ignore the rule that is known to everyone. It just points to a lack of maturity and incredibly poor judgement. That's the red flag.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Everybody is not doing pot. Whether it's harmful or not is a different issue.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Dolphins' A.J. Francis has high praise for Stefon Diggs

By Chase Goodbread
        College Football 24/7 writer
        Published: April 7, 2015 at 01:22 p.m.

The draft buzz on Maryland wide receiver Stefon Diggs has been so low, few have heard much noise about him. But if Miami Dolphins defensive lineman A.J. Francis knows of what he speaks, it ought to be a lot louder.

"He’s the best player I’ve ever played with, college or pro."

Francis, who was picked up by the Dolphins two years ago as an undrafted free agent, hasn't played with Diggs since 2012. But Diggs obviously made quite an impression.

Considering Diggs' place in the long line of standout wide receivers in the 2015 draft class isn't anywhere near the front, that's either an incredibly bold statement about Diggs, or incredibly dismissive about the Dolphins' roster. Give Francis the benefit of the doubt, given the setting of where the remark was made (Francis was at Maryland's pro day in support of former teammates).

Context is always important, but Francis obviously remembers Diggs' freshman season with plenty of reverence. It was arguably Diggs' best season at the college level (54 catches, 848 yards, six touchdowns) -- not exactly dazzling numbers, but they were enough to be the team's runaway receiving leader as a first-year player.

Diggs ran a 4.46 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine in February
        Diggs went into last season rated as the #1 wr in the B1G. Then he got hurt, again. Great talent, limited availability. It's a shame, but some guys just don't hold up to the pounding.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
          Oh stop acting like Marijuana is like Crack or something. Smoking weed has the obvious medicinal benefits that football player would want. Smoking a indica strain will do that for ya.Obviously his decision to have Marijuana in his system(no idea why you think he smoked right before the test. No information on that) was dumb one. However I honestly think the NFL is stupid for making weed an offense especially when two teams states have legalized it.

The Majority of the the NFL is smoking it and we all know it. Why does the media always make a villain and thug appearance to anyone who caught on it.
          Why'd you quote me? I'm in agreement with you.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Miami Dolphins considering trading into the top 10
            With the free agent signing of star defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and trade for wideout Kenny Stills, the Miami Dolphins attacked the offseason.

The aggressive approach may be a sign of things to come as Miami is already reaching out to other clubs in an effort to gauge what it might cost to move into the top 10 this year, NFLDraftScout.com has learned.

With only six picks in 2015, the Dolphins don't have much ammunition. That hasn't stopped the 'Fins from fishing.

The Dolphins appear to be targeting another playmaking wide receiver with West Virginia's Kevin White ranking highest on their board, sources suggest. If it happens, Miami's trade could mimic a similar move as the one division rival Buffalo completed a year ago, jumping up to No. 4 overall to land Sammy Watkins. Whereas the Bills continue to struggle at quarterback, the Dolphins boast a quality young passer in Ryan Tannehill to build around.

Miami's interest in adding more talent to its receiver corps is no surprise. Over the past week, the Dolphins hosted free agents Michael Crabtree (San Francisco 49ers), Greg Jennings (Minnesota Vikings) and Wes Welker (Denver Broncos) after sending former expensive free agent addition Mike Wallace and a seventh round pick this year to the Vikings for a fifth round pick.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Miami has been very aggressive in FA and the draft since Philbin took over a couple of years ago. To date, they have very little to show for it. Most of their FA have been busts, and they are still reeling from the blow they took to trade up to get Dion Jordan. Not only did they give up an additional high draft pick (their 2nd rounder) and then get nothing in return (to date). Being aggressive only helps if you get the right players and so far Miami has struck out at almost every turn.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

The curious case of Dion Jordan

By Kevin Nogle

@thephinsider on Feb 4, 2015, 11:00a 26
                Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The Miami Dolphins selected Dion Jordan with the third overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. That moment has been the highlight of his career thus far.

Dion Jordan. Miami Dolphins defenisve end, possibly linebacker, Dion Jordan. The third overall pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, a pick in which Miami traded up to grab the top defensive player in the Draft. He was a player every coach on the team reportedly wanted, and he is a player who has yet to do anything really meaningful on the field since his selection.

And, you know what, that's okay.

I know it is frustrating to know the Dolphins selected Jordan that high, yet rarely see him on the field. I know we all want to see him terrorizing oppsing quarterback, or blanketing Rob Gronkowski down the field. I know it, because I want to see it too. Dion Jordan playing into his potential is a must for the Dolphins - but just because we have not seen it yet does not mean we will not see it. Just because we have not seen it yet does not make him a bust. Just because we have not seen it yet does not make Jordan a wasted pick.

Remember way back when - and by that I mean a few years ago - when it was okay for a player, even a first round draft choice, to sit for a couple of years? Remember when Philip Rivers made five total appearances in his first two seasons after being selected with the fourth overall pick? Remember when Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for three years after being a first round selection? And those were quarterbacks selected in the first round.

Remember when draft picks were graded after three years in the league, not three days?

Jordan is going into his third year. He has had a bad start to his career, with a shoulder injury that did not seem to heal as expected to start his rookie year, then a six-game suspension to start this past season. Miami needs Jordan to come to training camp ready to play this year. Jordan needs to come to training camp ready to place this year, for himself at the very least.

That still does not mean Miami wasted a selection.

Part of why people complain about Jordan's lack of playing time is because he is stuck behind Olivier Vernon on the depth chart. Rather than being happy about the apparent glut of talent the team should have at defensive end as the team's 2012 third round pick flourishes, fans want to point to Vernon as the wall Jordan cannot scale.

The Dolphins coaching staff has failed to develop Jordan, as seen by his lack of playing time. Of course, we are totally ignoring the development they did with Vernon in the first place. Or the development of Koa Misi, first as an outside linebacker, then a middle linebacker. Or Lamar Miller from his unsuccessful 2013 campaign to being a 1,000-yard rusher in 2014. Or Reshad Jones. Or Mike Pouncey. Or Ja'Wuan James. Or Jared Odrick. Or any of the other players who have stepped up in recent years, or changed positions.

This coaching staff may not be perfect, but they may actually be developing players more than for which they are given credit.

The coaches need to decide how they want to use Jordan and his ahtletic freak of nature build. They need to make him a defensive end or a linebacker. They need to get him focused and bulid him into what he should be based on his potential. That does not mean they are not doing their jobs.

Should they have spent last offseason and preseason preparing Jordan to see massive playing time, knowing he would miss the first four - then six - games of the season? Or did they need to get him some reps, but know that the real development needed to be focused on the players who would not miss a significant potion of the year?

Dion Jordan is absolutely a frustrating case, and absolutely more should be expected of him. The fact that we have not seen it does not mean we will not see it. Maybe even as early as this year.
                I still believe he can play. But this year will tell. He's like Ingram, talent waiting to bust out, I hope. And I'd trade a low round draft pick for him, a low rounder because the NFL is a now league and he hasn't been now.
                Last edited by Formula 21; 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Classic
                  Hall Of Fame
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  I still believe he can play. But this year will tell. He's like Ingram, talent waiting to bust out, I hope. And I'd trade a low round draft pick for him, a low rounder because the NFL is a now league and he hasn't been now.
                  Suh will make his job a lot easier. Hopefully Clowney struggles next year and we can dump a 4th for his potential.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                    Suh will make his job a lot easier. Hopefully Clowney struggles next year and we can dump a 4th for his potential.
                    LOL, a 6th tops for a guy with bad wheels.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The point isn't about the moves that have or haven't made but the overall pattern.

Miami got a lot of good PR for being aggressive and going out to get the FA and trading up to get the ceral box/chunky soup commercial type of guys as FA. They get the high marks in March and April, and then come September and October, they have nothing to show for it. The players who Miami can count on are their more pedistrian draft picks and their own FA (like Wake) who don't generate a lot of interest initally because they were not high profile guys.

Meanwhile, in SD, the years where we have shown the biggest turnarounds, there is very little to show for it. The year AJ took over, we got rid of a lot of high priced guys, continued signing a lot of street FA (and found 5 pro bowl caliber players in the process), and then very quickly were able to improve based on developing our own internal talent.

The moral of the story is that there aren't a lot of shortcuts. Signing a lot of big name FA has not worked historically, yet a lot of idiot sportwriters and idiot fans call for signing them like it is the surefire way to improve overnight. Show me where it has worked!

Football is a team sport and you have to find the right pieces. TT is doing it right and the Dolphins are doing it wrong.

As far as Jordan goes, he is done in Miami. He really needs to start over. I agree that he has the talent to play somewhere else, but guys like him need a plan. The guy is going into his 3rd year, and he has no position skills. And now they are going to start to play around with switching positions? If they wanted to develop him quickly, they needed to get him into a position and get him a ton of reps. Now, they don't really know what he is going to do. Is a big guy like him going to be able to run and cover like a 43 OLB? Bigger, taller angular LB like Jordan usually do best in the 43 by lining up over the TE as a SAM and setting the edge, but Jordan is not a physical player. He likes to run to the ball, but that is a weakside thing, and he doesn't change direction that well in coverage. He is not the kind of guy who can run down plays and diagnose blocking like 43 Will LB do. He flashed a ton of ability as a pass rusher, but in Miami he is not going to get to do too much of that with Wake, Vernon and Shelby in front of him.

Clowney has to prove to me he actually wants to play before I would take a flyer on him at any price. He has all the ability in the world, but the way he mailed in his senior year, I find it hard to believe he is going to suddenly turn into a great teammate and guy who will sacrifice enough to make himself a great player.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Greg Auman – Verified account ‏@gregauman

Ex-USF CB/KR Chris Dunkley visiting Chargers and 49ers this week, says visits lined up with Bills, Patriots next week. Speedy converted WR.
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Dunkley has 2 reps at 225.

Comment

Working...
                          X