• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blahblahblah
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Reyes replacement and Oline. Hopefully Watt develops which will helps, but we're short on quality interior guys and Fluker inconsistent.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Nothing has changed from last year - we need a lot more quality offensive and defensive linemen.
      Can never, ever, ever go wrong that route. Wish for once we would just develop beast trenches and let the rest sort itself out.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Gilded Pickle
        outside looking in
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yep - lines.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

WR

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

1. DT no brainer
            2. OL, Hardwick can't seem to stay healthy, and we need better guards.
            3.S Weedle needs a running mate, no disrespect to Addae and this position needs depth
            4. WR I think this is the last of Eddie Royal, once you get past Allen & Floyd does any body scare you?

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Hardwick has done a good job of staying healthy the last few years. It is still the NFL, guys are going to get hurt. Now, Hardwick was kinda injury prone early in his career, but he seems to have gotten over that.

A DL, although not necessarily a NT unless that is the best guy available. We still need help at De too.

All that being said, going for another guy like Watt might not be a bad idea. Give us a couple guys to compete at C, plus they can compete at OG. Either that or a guy who maybe can figure in at OT.

As far as WR, Royal really didn't do much, he has a history of injuries and he and Floyd are getting older. And neither Floyd or Royal was doing much to get off the press quickly enough.

A classic inline TE. Eventually, we are going to want to start moving Green outside, and line him up like a WR like Jimmy Graham or Gates more, and then having a guy who can do a little bit more blocking and working inside as a receiver would be nice.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

We could have some massive changes on the oline next season. Aren't Hardwick, Clary, Dunlap and Ohrnberger all on the last year of their contracts?

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Could be. Ohrnberger can probably be had back easily. He was shopping himself around and didn't get any takers last year. Hardwick and Clary probably would like to end their careers, but only if the price is right. Dunlap also probably likes us, but he will cost a lot more. The good thing is that we have the money to bring them all back if we want to. I doubt we do, but we could. It will just depend who else is a FA, and where we need to spend it.

Comment

• zoom
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Not sure if he will decide to enter the draft, but Malcolm Brown (DT, Texas) is impressive.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Left Tackle...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Yubaking
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        If he has potential, play him at DE, where we are weak.

But all I keep reading about him is how big he is, unless he wants to be another Louis Nix (and like so many other NT types), he needs to show some technique and not be lazy on the field like some many others who slid in the draft. NFL teams don't care about size as much as they do technique.

Update:

He is a poor prospect.

No first step. Slow, not quick, not athletic by NFL standards. If he is going to have a chance, the guy has to become explosive. Right now the guy is a late round pick who is of no help to us unless he can learn to use his hands and develop some first step power. Right now he is a giant catcher, in that he catches OL and keeps his LB clean, but those guys are not going to last in the NFL. NFL DL who are good explode into the gaps and play with leverage, and this guy show none of that.
                        I just watched the video against Hawaii. Shelton looks like he has average foot speed for an NFL player of his size. However, his motor appears to be above average. He did not appear slow off of the ball to me, but he was not noticeably quick/explosive either. He is not likely to chase down a guy running down the sideline with the ball, but he did spin off of some blocks in the video to make tackles on a few plays that were not "in the phone booth". He also moved laterally and made tackles on other plays that were not "in the phone booth".

Also, Shelton was double and triple teamed on most of the plays. He beat a number of the double teams and made some very nice stops and got a sack. He looks very strong. Even when he was not able to be in good tackling position, he still stopped multiple ball carriers pretty much dead in their tracks just on pure strength.

Further, Hawaii passed the ball a lot in the video. Obviously, pass rushing is not going to be Shelton's comparative strength and that is not going to be why NFL teams are interested in him.

In terms of his not getting a strong push, other than being double and triple teamed, did it look like he played a little high at times to you? That's what it looked like to me, but DL technique is not an area of expertise for me.

I already questioned Brugler's notion that he was first round material and nothing in the Hawaii video makes me think he has the athleticism of a first round pick. I do think he will find a home in the NFL as a mid round pick (4th round pick) as a run stuffer. I don't think he is a late, late pick or FA. Although it is only one game of video, his video looks more impressive to me than the video I saw of Carrethers, which is consistent with his being projected as a higher draft pick than Carrethers.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

A SS HO LE!
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X