• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxbatkllr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Horrible idea. Guaranteed to get us no professional sports teams. Manchester just took himself out of the game.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Foxbatkllr View Post
      Horrible idea. Guaranteed to get us no professional sports teams. Manchester just took himself out of the game.
      Agreed, renovating Qualcomm is not doable unless they raze it and rebuild from the ground up. Either way, the stadium is inoperable until the renovation, where will the Aztecs and the Holiday Bowl play?

Comment

• Little_Charger
        Ex-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Chula Vista, CA
        • CO
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
        Agreed, renovating Qualcomm is not doable unless they raze it and rebuild from the ground up. Either way, the stadium is inoperable until the renovation, where will the Aztecs and the Holiday Bowl play?
        Petco Park
        Mission: Valley.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Now that the Chargers don't exist anymore, I don't want San Diego to build a big football stadium again. I don't want another NFL team. Fuck the NFL.

But, if we're forced to build another stadium, there better be tailgating. I know everybody else loves Petco, but I can't stand it. I miss the Pads at the Murph, where I could get drunk and grill before the game.

There is no reason to go to a sporting event if there is no tailgating. Live baseball is not as good as watching it in a bar, where the alcohol and snacks are cheaper and generally better; plus the vibe is better - no kids, no boring people, and, believe it or not, fewer fights. However, live baseball after 90 minutes of grilling and drinking with friends in the parking lot - that's fun as fuck.

Yea, I get that some people go to bars before going to Petco. But those beers are like $10 for a pint and, on weekends, are crowded as a shit-dinner for maggots. Plus, they are downtown bars, which means being near a bunch of stuffy young people with music too loud to carry on a conversation with anybody two seats down. Not really the spot for people like me.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Faded blues
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            500 mil
            100 mil sdsu
            100 city
            75 mil county

750 mil builds a damn good stadium

Now let aeg build an arena

Plus sdsu west

We have something that will serve San Diego for decades to come

Comment

• Faded blues
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2013
              • Send PM

Within a few years we could have

NHL
              NBA
              Mls
              MLB

Not bad selection to chose from

And if NFL decides to comeback the there you go

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                Within a few years we could have

NHL
                NBA
                Mls
                MLB

Not bad selection to chose from

And if NFL decides to comeback the there you go
                Put down the drugs. Those other leagues aren't looking to expand right now. MLS is not going to play in a 60,000 seat stadium. Only way we get MLS is with FS Investor plan. NFL will just use us as leverage for 20 years while our fancy new stadium (or upgraded Q) rots aside from the Aztecs, which still won't sell it out when they play.

Comment

• Faded blues
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2013
                  • Send PM

Put down the drugs. Those other leagues aren't looking to expand right now. MLS is not going to play in a 60,000 seat stadium. Only way we get MLS is with FS Investor plan. NFL will just use us as leverage for 20 years while our fancy new stadium (or upgraded Q) rots aside from the Aztecs, which still won't sell it out when they play.
                  Really?

Then was aeg planning on building an arena at seaport village for the sole purpose bringing NHL and NBA here?

Why does aeg own the sports arena along with the Hamm family?

Why does the mls play in qwest, redskins, and Gillette?

You need to stop.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

I appreciate your optimism, but you were so certain Chargers were staying and a deal would be done. Stop with the pipe dreams.

Comment

• X-man
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

No doubt San Diego politicians and investors seem to have a really hard time in getting things done for the city...but in regards to how a super bowl eligible (I believe it has to be at close to 70,000 seats) NFL stadium can convert to a more intimate soccer stadium (no bigger then 25,000 seats)...it's not as hard as it would seem if one goes by Atlanta's soon to be opening Mercedes Stadium. BTW...Mercedes Stadium was built on a 1.6 billion dollar budget...but it has retractable roof. San Diego because of its nice weather and climate is not like hot Las Vegas or very humid Atlanta where if you want to have more events in the stadium then you'd more then likely want to have them in the comfort of indoors. Going off that...without a retractable roof...the cost would conceivably go down (depending how much Qualcomm stadium would need in renovation repairs).

Currently, we can only go by the pictures the team provides...but its basic premise is that when an NFL game is going on...the stadium remains open to its full capacity (all levels of seating from lower to upper decks are open):

IMG_0091.JPG

...but when a soccer game is going, basically a huge mechanical wall comes down to cover the upper decks (this wall shows the soccer teams logo on it and when all is said and done it might even have screens on them for more advertising throughout game):

IMG_0092.JPG

Now with that being said...if (big IF) Qualcomm Stadium is able he be salvaged and totally renovated and I'm getting in the head of what Manchester is trying to propose...he's trying to have a MLS soccer team, SDSU football, and a NFL team like the Raiders all be able to play in this same venue. Again IF the Q is able to be salvaged for such a project...then going by the Mercedes Stadium design it would be logistically possible. The only thing instead of having a huge mechanical wall that can come down and convert from 70,000 to 25,000 (basically close off the upper two decks of stadium)...this Manchester stadium I would assume would be able to close of each deck separately...basically left totally open for an NFL game...have the most upper deck closed off for SDSU football game, and finally both upper and middle deck walled off for MLS soccer game.

The real question is can the investors (FS and Manchester group) and the city politicians be innovative enough to make it a real and profitable option for the city and all parties involved.
                      Last edited by X-man; 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

It's pretty amazing that MSL has no problems with Atlanta and Seattle converting huge football stadiums to soccer stadiums and yet these FS guys are tripping all over themselves to avoid a 40k stadium in MV.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                          It's pretty amazing that MSL has no problems with Atlanta and Seattle converting huge football stadiums to soccer stadiums and yet these FS guys are tripping all over themselves to avoid a 40k stadium in MV.
                          Seattle can draw 60K fans for soccer and average over 40K. Next closest is Orlando which, I believe, is a new franchise at just over 30K.

I really don't think the NFL will want the Raiders in SD. It would kill the Chargers in LA (maybe not that big a deal) but it would also hurt the Rams. The only reason to build an NFL sized stadium is for an NFL team. I haven't seen anything from FS saying they won't build a 40K stadium only that they are willing to pay half (to donate later) of a 30K stadium. I don't believe anyone is completely convinced that SDSU can raise the $100M they are supposed to put in for that. They only raised $11M for the $14M basketball practice facility and had to raid other funds to cover the difference.

Comment

Working...
                          X