• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Padres banner

I love it. Guys, you don't know how much I loved Randy Jones in the 1970's. I couldn't perform my paper-route duty's the same when I knew Jones was pitching later that night. I knew the Padres were toast against the Phillies, Dodgers, Reds, Cardinals, etc... UNLESS Randy Jones was pitching. He brightened my considerably dim childhood with his starts. And then there's the time my family went to Reno and I had my father place some bets on a few games for me. Yep, Randy beat the Giants in one of those bets and I received the winnings later on in the mail. Randy Jones is awesome and can beat anyone!
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Randy Jones was pretty unbeatable in the first half of 1976. 16-3 at the all-star break, and on track to win 30 games. After the break he faced the Cubs at Wrigley and they brought a witch doctor to the park to put a spell on him. He went 6-11 the second half of the year, and then blew his elbow out in 1977 and was never the same.

From 1975-76 though, he was the best pitcher in the league. Nobody could handle that wicked sinker he had. He'd throw 60 mph lob balls and hitters would try to mash it only to ground out. Even Pete Rose gave up hitting right handed and tried lefty because he admitted he couldn't figure him out.

He had a mental block pitching at Shea Stadium for some reason, and the Pads ended up trading him to New York. He actually pitched well for them on the road but kept choking at home. He ended up retiring.

He was my favorite Padre for a very long time until TG came onto the scene. But Randy was their first real star and I was glad when Moores and Lucchino brought him back to the organization with the barbecue. I remember chatting with him in the first year of the BBQ, Randy used to mingle dressed in full uniform. I told him it was great the Pads brought him back but he confided to me what he was really hoping for was a baseball job as a pitching coach. I guess that never came to pass.

Comment

• TABF
      Por debajo del promedio
      • Jun 2013
      • SoCal
      • Send PM

One of the original thumbers. Loved Randy Jones on the bump and even respect him more for his life long devotion to the San Diego Padres and the community of San Diego.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Winny was my second Padres hero. I know he struck out too much but he could do so many things on the field. Man, he could run!

I do remember being at the park as a little kid watching Nate Colbert but I was a bit too young and too new a baseball fan to fully appreciate him. He was huge though. Big #17.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

We were thinking about completely redoing this forum. In dark blue and sand colors. With a new banner that has our new studs on it.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            We were thinking about completely redoing this forum. In dark blue and sand colors. With a new banner that has our new studs on it.
            No!!!!!

Brown and Gold forever!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Yeah. Please don't.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Ok. lol.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Maybe start collecting pics of the new guys when they dress in retro, then add them in.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                    Winny was my second Padres hero. I know he struck out too much but he could do so many things on the field. Man, he could run!

I do remember being at the park as a little kid watching Nate Colbert but I was a bit too young and too new a baseball fan to fully appreciate him. He was huge though. Big #17.
                    Nate Colbert and Cito Gaston were their first real hitting stars. Nate was great until they brought McCovey in and shuttled poor Nate to LF. Ended up trading him to Detroit where he started off hot but fizzled. Nate's 5-HR 13-RBI doubleheader will never be duplicated again.

After Nate left, Winfield became their only consistent offensive threat. They kept bringing in stars to complement him (George Hendrick, Gene Tenace) but they'd flame out, their best days behind them. Would've loved to see him on the 84 squad.

Comment

• TABF
                      Por debajo del promedio
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoCal
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      I would go with the Padres/USMC digital cami. The Padres were the original to salute the military in this manner and continue to lead all of sports in showing support for our men in uniform.

Digi desert and brown is my choice!

Comment

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                        I would go with the Padres/USMC digital cami. The Padres were the original to salute the military in this manner and continue to lead all of sports in showing support for our men in uniform.

Digi desert and brown is my choice!
                        Being a veteran, I'm on board with this, but leave it up to Fleet and the members to decide collectively.

Comment

Working...
                        X