• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420
    • May 2024
    • Send PM

Pat Murphy Better Than Bud Black

The Padres are now officially better with Pat Murphy than with Bud Black.
    Murphy does a much better job of handling the pitching staff during games.
    And, just recently, he stopped effing with the batting lineup. I hated him at first, but he's done something Black never did this year- learn from his mistakes.
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
    The Padres are now officially better with Pat Murphy than with Bud Black.
    Murphy does a much better job of handling the pitching staff during games.
    And, just recently, he stopped effing with the batting lineup. I hated him at first, but he's done something Black never did this year- learn from his mistakes.
    Murphy was nearly blackballed from coaching with the stuff that happened to him at ASU. He made it back to the top, and while he's just an interim at this point, the job is his if they just snag a wild card spot.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Murphy was nearly blackballed from coaching with the stuff that happened to him at ASU. He made it back to the top, and while he's just an interim at this point, the job is his if they just snag a wild card spot.
      I'm happy with finishing a few games over .500 and keeping our players and coach for next year. Hopefully Murphy doesn't revert back to jacking with the lineup again if we lose a couple games. Leave it how it is. It's been nice knowing who the top 5 hitters are just about every game. Venable, Solarte, Kemp, Upton, Alonso. Venable, Solarte, Kemp, Upton, Alonso. Venable, Solarte, Kemp, Upton, Alonso.

I still think our GM sucks though. With the money the owners made available to him, he could have done a much better job.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'm happy with finishing a few games over .500 and keeping our players and coach for next year. Hopefully Murphy doesn't revert back to jacking with the lineup again if we lose a couple games. Leave it how it is. It's been nice knowing who the top 5 hitters are just about every game. Venable, Solarte, Kemp, Upton, Alonso. Venable, Solarte, Kemp, Upton, Alonso. Venable, Solarte, Kemp, Upton, Alonso.

I still think our GM sucks though. With the money the owners made available to him, he could have done a much better job.
        Not sure a few games over .500 allows him to keep his job unless he gets one of the two wild card spots. If they were really behind him he would've gotten the permanent job. After the Milwaukee block they probably felt they had to promote him. It's almost as if he's behind the 8 ball from the get go.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Not sure a few games over .500 allows him to keep his job unless he gets one of the two wild card spots. If they were really behind him he would've gotten the permanent job. After the Milwaukee block they probably felt they had to promote him. It's almost as if he's behind the 8 ball from the get go.
          If we had had a proper manager all season, I'm thinking we might be only 3 or 4 games away from leading the division. The players we have are capable of winning a division if they aren't flip flopped around in the lineup and are able to concentrate on their individual roles. And our pitching has more success if the pitcher is pulled out when he looks like he's no longer pitching well and not left out there based purely on the number of pitches thrown.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

So today our lineup is licking ass against a bad team. This will be a test to see if the manager sticks with the lineup the next game or reverts back to the Bud Black strategy of jacking with the team.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I'm not seeing what you guys are about Murphy being much of an improvement over Black. I thought Black was a decent manager who had been here too long and was being tuned out by the players. Murphy seems like just a guy and I think any manager that came in would eventually have benefited from a few guys getting out of long slumps.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                I'm not seeing what you guys are about Murphy being much of an improvement over Black. I thought Black was a decent manager who had been here too long and was being tuned out by the players. Murphy seems like just a guy and I think any manager that came in would eventually have benefited from a few guys getting out of long slumps.
                I'm thinking there might be a correlation between long slumps and switching lineups consistently every day.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I'm thinking there might be a correlation between long slumps and switching lineups consistently every day.
                  13 runs today. Marion Butts ran one in, and Carney added two field goals.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

The Padres fired Black when the team was 32-33. The team is 20-23 under Murphy so far. I guess we'll see how the rest of the year unfolds, but after a brief run it looks like they are fading again. This team is too talented to be under .500, even with the injuries we have had.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      The Padres fired Black when the team was 32-33. The team is 20-23 under Murphy so far. I guess we'll see how the rest of the year unfolds, but after a brief run it looks like they are fading again. This team is too talented to be under .500, even with the injuries we have had.
                      You got me there. I hope things get back on track. Last two games have sucked.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

You got me there. I hope things get back on track. Last two games have sucked.
                        What a frustrating year - I had such high hopes.

Comment

Working...
                        X