• Show
Clear All
  • pigskin
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Southern Oregon
    • Send PM

Padres trade Venable to Rangers

I understand it is time to dump some $$$, but damn he was one of my favorites.
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by pigskin View Post
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...le-to-rangers/

I understand it is time to dump some $$$, but damn he was one of my favorites.
    Venable for a Single A player who batted .250 and then had elbow surgery? Lame.
    We also get a player to be named later. Do such guys ever turn out to be anybody good?

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
      Venable for a Single A player who batted .250 and then had elbow surgery? Lame.
      We also get a player to be named later. Do such guys ever turn out to be anybody good?
      Does Preller have any insight on the Single A player since he's a former Rangers' staffer?

Yes, PTBNLs do turn out to be good sometimes. Trea Turner is one we dealt. David Ortiz and Gio Gonzalez were PTBNLs. I think Jason Schmidt might also have been one.

Haven't ever really been a fan of Venable's, even though for a couple years there he was one of our better players...which speaks more to how little talent we had.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        Does Preller have any insight on the Single A player since he's a former Rangers' staffer?

Yes, PTBNLs do turn out to be good sometimes. Trea Turner is one we dealt. David Ortiz and Gio Gonzalez were PTBNLs. I think Jason Schmidt might also have been one.

Haven't ever really been a fan of Venable's, even though for a couple years there he was one of our better players...which speaks more to how little talent we had.
        I think Venable is a fine player. We need a guy like him who can fill in for the more talented guy who can't stay healthy.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
          I think Venable is a fine player. We need a guy like him who can fill in for the more talented guy who can't stay healthy.
          I'm fine with him as a role player, but not as a starter as this team is configured.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
            I'm fine with him as a role player, but not as a starter as this team is configured.
            We got some fragile players in the outfield. Venable was an ideal backup, I thought. He's done fine this year.

That being said, Melvin Upton, although not as good, is a lot more entertaining. I've always liked the fast guys, even if that isn't usually what leads to wins. They are just fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
            X