Anyone else follow the Padres minor league teams?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Anyone else follow the Padres minor league teams?

The Padres had three different minor league teams make the playoffs this year: Tri-City Dust Devils (short season A ball), Ft. Wayne Tin Caps (full season A ball, and the El Paso Chihuahuas (triple A).

Each team has some interesting players. Tri-City has a guy named Jose Urena that can do a lot of things. He can hit for average (he was flirting with .300 for most of the season until slumping at the end), get on base, run well, and apparently even throw well. I also enjoyed SS Peter Van Gansen and 1B Ty France as well. France hit .294 and had a robust OBP of .425. He came out of San Diego State and was just drafted this past June (34th round!). Reliever Phil Maton is another very interesting player on Tri-City. In 32.2 innings he struck out 58 and walked only five batters! I don't know what he throws but I'm looking forward to his progression through our system. Guessing Maton will be at least in full season A ball (Ft. Wayne) next season. Maybe even Advanced A ball Lake Elsinore.

Ft Wayne had a couple infielders do very well for them in 2B Luis Urias and SS Ruddy Giron. Urias is all about contact. Luis hit .290 and had a .370 OBP. Giron had nine HRs and had a slash-line of .285/.335/.407. The good thing about these two infielders is they are only 18 years of age. And the Midwest league is typically a pitcher's league as well so their results were particularly encouraging to me. RF Nick Torres had quite a half-season (he was moved up to Lake Elsinore half way through the year) at Ft Wayne going .326/.378/.462. They also had a few pitchers do well. I'll talk about them - as well as more on Tri-City pitchers - later today or tomorrow when I have time.

....more to come...
    Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 10-05-2015, 05:37 AM.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"
  • Boltdog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Lunar Surface
    • Nutrition Consultant
    • Send PM

The top draft picks from Preller's first draft don't seem to have done much so far. The Pads minors are really tapped after his tradeaways. And other than maybe Renfro and a pitcher or two, no one seems ready to make the jump next season. El Paso is mostly 4A types. Our other teams struggled as a whole this season. Back to square one as far as homegrown talent...
    Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
      The top draft picks from Preller's first draft don't seem to have done much so far. The Pads minors are really tapped after his tradeaways. And other than maybe Renfro and a pitcher or two, no one seems ready to make the jump next season. El Paso is mostly 4A types. Our other teams struggled as a whole this season. Back to square one as far as homegrown talent...
      Overall our system does seem more like an expansion teams. But I still have my favorites.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Hard to assess Preller's draft after a half season. And look at the tradeaways. They didn't all light it up this year. Some did quite well, but a lot of them didn't.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Dodgers suck.
          Now I can go back to disliking New York teams.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
            Hard to assess Preller's draft after a half season. And look at the tradeaways. They didn't all light it up this year. Some did quite well, but a lot of them didn't.

I'm pretty excited about the starting pitchers Nix and Austin Smith. Those two are horses. They will be good. Can't wait to see their progress next year.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Austin Allen is killing it!

Allen is a 22 year-old left-handed hitting catcher for us at Low-A Fort Wayne.

Anyhow, he's 21 for 33 with four Walks so far. That's a .636 batting average and .658 OBP. He's had a hit in every game so far and has had seven multi-hit games out of the nine he's played.

He was a 4th round pick last June and struggled a bit after he was drafted last year. Not this year! He also has four doubles and a HR.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                Austin Allen is killing it!

Allen is a 22 year-old left-handed hitting catcher for us at Low-A Fort Wayne.

Anyhow, he's 21 for 33 with four Walks so far. That's a .636 batting average and .658 OBP. He's had a hit in every game so far and has had seven multi-hit games out of the nine he's played.

He was a 4th round pick last June and struggled a bit after he was drafted last year. Not this year! He also has four doubles and a HR.
                Reading up on him, the question about him is not his bat but whether he can develop as a catcher. Any progress on that?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  Reading up on him, the question about him is not his bat but whether he can develop as a catcher. Any progress on that?
                  I don't know. Scout.com (Padres board) have some guys who might know such things.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Do the Padres have a major league team?

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Keeping with the positivity theme, yes, they have a major league team. They play in the National League, which is affiliated with Major League Baseball, thus they have a Major League team.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        Keeping with the positivity theme, yes, they have a major league team. They play in the National League, which is affiliated with Major League Baseball, thus they have a Major League team.
                        Solid point.

Comment

Working...
                        X