• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Mark McGwire is the new bench coach

It's my understanding that a bench coach does the grunt work for the manager, and presumably it's a stepping stone to a manager's job down the road. So now the Padres have hired Mark McGwire as their bench coach. I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this. He admitted his transgressions (it was a condition to get him back into baseball again), so I don't necessarily have a problem with the hire IF he's a viable coach (I have no idea how he did as a batting coach with the Dodgers, nor do I have a clue as to how he'll be serving in this capacity). But what will be interesting is if he'll ever get a sniff as a manager? That would be incredible IMO, and it would validate the notion that it's better to come clean than to keep lying (Rose, Bonds) about past transgressions.

Thoughts?
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I doubt that the Dodgers would have let him walk if they thought he had great potential. As to the transgressions part, yes it's better to admit what you did than sticking with pride like Rose and Bonds, but I don't see McGwire becoming a manager anytime soon. Being prepared and qualified to be a manager doesn't mean any team is prepared to take on a toxic past as the face of its franchise.

Comment

Working...
    X