• Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

See ya Gyorko

Dealt to StL for Jon Jay.

Love dumping Gyorko's salary. He'll never justify that contract and I was dubious of it when he signed it. Just never struck me as a guy with a high ceiling. Subpar defender with a sub-.300 OBP and struck out 25% of the time last year. That said, if anyone can get something out of him it's the Cards.

Jay is a glue guy. Very good defender, timely hitter who has great ABs late in games. Doesn't put up big numbers but is the kind of player every team needs to win. I've always admired his game bc he does the little things well. The one year deal is a concern, but his $ isn't going to be huge so a re-sign isn't a huge issue unless he just wants to play elsewhere.

Main thing is we got out from under a terrible contract. IMO a good deal, esp with some middle IF depth now. Spangenburg would appear set to get more PT in the interim so we can get a better look at him until some of the new arrivals are ready. Not sure what this means for Jankowski. He might be a candidate to be flipped, prob only because we're stuck with Upton.

It's a 'little' deal but one that makes a difference on a lot of levels.

Now I think we need to move Cashner. I want to hang on to Ross for sure and probably Shields. Would be nice to get a #2 and bump Shields to 3, but not sure we have the ammo. Not as flashy of an offseason, but an acknowledgement that we have made some poor investments in recent years. The best time to plant a tree was yesterday. The second best time is today. I think we're re-tooling in positive ways and we'll now get a real sense as to Preller's eye for talent.
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

So who do we have up the middle? Spangy at second, Melvin in center, Norris at catcher, and ?? At SS? Not exactly strong up the middle even if you put Ozzie Smith in his prime at short.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

OK, add Gyorko to the picture. Same, better or worse?

Not better. And more expensive. Move on.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        OK, add Gyorko to the picture. Same, better or worse?

Not better. And more expensive. Move on.
        That wasn't my point. I'm legitimately asking who we have up the middle. Who's playing SS for the Pads now?

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
          That wasn't my point. I'm legitimately asking who we have up the middle. Who's playing SS for the Pads now?
          OK, gotcha. Well, right now it looks a lot like last year. Norris/Hedges is decent behind the plate. Spangenberg is a defensive upgrade at second, and pretty likely an offensive one. Shortstop is a question mark (like last year), but we've acquired a number of guys this offseason (most of whom look like long-term projects), but there are a few of them along with Amarists or even Solarte (if we sign, say, the Japanese guy to play 3rd) that might play there. Offseason isn't done and supposedly we're in on Desmond, and I've seen some say we're the favorites. As for OF, if we're not playing Myers there that's an improvement defensively. Upton showed a little something more than we expected last year, so maybe that continues to trend upwards some. We're stuck under his contract, so he has to be there. Jay can play CF and he's pretty good defensively. He's a better player than Venable. Jankowski may remain in the mix. Liked what I saw of him.

So it's not dramatically improved but it's certainly not worse. Desmond could be a buy low candidate. He had his struggles last year, but he sure was a helluva player before his troubles. Adding an improved Desmond would change the calculation pretty significantly.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'm thinking Upton will get every chance to take the CF job. There's chatter that Myers will move to 1B. At least that's where Myers prefers to play.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I think that's the best spot for him in this situation. I sure hope he can stay healthy because he can be a helluva hitter for us.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Well they cleared Alonso out of here so that spot is wide open, and I agree, a healthy Wil Myers in the lineup is the offensive piece to build around.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I don't have the stats to back it up but it sure seemed like the O hummed when he was in there.

Really wish we could move Cashner but I think we'll need to get a strong first half from him and move him to a contender midseason.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Unpleasant revelation:

As part of last week’s trade that sent second baseman Jedd Gyorko to St. Louis in return for center fielder Jon Jay, the Padres, according to a club source, will send the Cardinals $2.5 million in 2018 and $5 million in 2019.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

That's fine. It won't be 2016 or 2017. That money won't be worth as much when 2018 and 19 rolls around. But it might hurt to watch Gyorko break out with a different team. And he's at that age where it can happen - 27. I hope Jon Jay returns to form so this deal doesn't simply become an issue of dumping salary over the long-haul.

I'm still not sure about Gyorko's potential...Khalil Greene (pretty much what he's been so far...maybe a little better) or can he rise to Alfonso Soriano (when Soriano was an infielder for the Yanks) heights?
                      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Alfonso Soriano is a curious comparison since he had speed and athleticism and Gyorko has always been known as 'bad body Gyorko.'

Comment

Working...
                        X