• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

See ya Shields

The White Sox have acquired James Shields from the Padres, relocating the starting pitcher who never found his groove after signing the biggest free-agent deal in franchise history last year.

Tatis Jr., a 17-year-old infielder, was signed out of the Dominican Republic for $700,000 last July...Tatis Jr., who can play shortstop or third base, has yet to make his professional debut.

Awesome.

Tatis is another SS. What the F? Are we so down on Guerra now that we need Tatis, too? Preller traded or signed ike 8 SS's in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a SS with our #1 in the draft. He's like the Minnesota Timberwolves of MLB.
    Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 06-04-2016, 03:51 PM.
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I just hope Kemp is next. And he has been hitting lots of big flies this year so maybe some AL team gets interested in him as a DH. Of course the Padres would likely need to eat maybe 40 mil of his contract? Boy.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

To eat Shields' deal and not get more back is sad. I suspect Kemp won't return much more.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        To eat Shields' deal and not get more back is sad. I suspect Kemp won't return much more.
        He won't. But at least the Padres will save some money if they deal Kemp now while he's bashing the long balls. Seems like there would be an AL team interested in that at DH.

We have so many system outfielders that are dirt cheap and good enough to play in SD right now. Dickerson needs to be in our line up. Left-handed hitter with good contact and on-base ability with some power. Then there's Renfroe.

The next player we deal will probably be Fernando Rodney. He still hasn't allowed an earned run this year. Not in 21.1 innings of relief work so far. He has 11 Saves on this team. Only eight hits too. He might be 39 years old but those are fantastic numbers. Trade him while he's still putting up goose eggs.

I'm hoping we also move Cashner. He's one of my least favorite Padres. I always get the feeling he really doesn't want to be out there. I think he's a massive underachiever. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't care who replaces him. haha I just can't stand the guy. I would rather see Fitty Cent pitch for us.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The son of 11-year major league veteran Fernando Tatis, the younger Tatis has not seen any game action yet in his young career. BA did not rank him as one of the top 30 international prospects in 2015 or one of the White Sox top 30 prospects before this season.
          for $30M and Big Game James.

That's pathetic.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Doesn't seem equitable.

At least the Padres won't have to pay all that money right now. Just divided for every year left on Shields' contract.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Today, at least, looks like we were right to dump him. Rough few weeks for Mr Shields.

The Chicago White Sox were hoping Wednesday night would be a fresh start for newly acquired pitcher James Shields, and the beginning of a turnaround in the midst of their rough four-week stretch.
              Instead, both player and team must be wondering where their respective seasons go from here after Shields was booed off the field and the White Sox lost again, this time 11-4 to the Nationals.

Indeed, Shields' debut on the south side of Chicago was a miserable disaster, and that's putting it mildly. The 34-year-old right-hander required an astonishing 79 pitches just to get through two innings, and was mercifully pulled one batter into the third. Along the way, he allowed seven runs on eight hits, which included three home runs, while walking two and striking out two.

He even threw a wild pitch, because literally everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

As for the boos, those actually started in the first inning, immediately following the two-run home run he allowed to Ryan Zimmerman. They reached a crescendo though once manager Robin Ventura threw in the towel.

Shields will never get another chance to make a first impression on White Sox fans, and based on Wednesday's worst-case scenario he'll have an uphill climb to gain even a tiny bit of their confidence. That essentially puts him in the same position he was upon leaving San Diego, where he allowed 10 runs in 2 2/3 innings in his final start against Seattle.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I hope we do great in the draft today. Seems like we really can't miss with all those early picks and that much draft pool money. But these are the Padres.

Draft begins at 4pm, pst today.

Comment

Working...
                X