Wil Myers: is he an idiot, has no taste, wants to get traded, or all of the above?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Wil Myers: is he an idiot, has no taste, wants to get traded, or all of the above?

sboeckVerified account
    ‏@scott_boeck
    Wil Myers meets the media. He says East Coast mexican food is better than West Coast, no offense #MLBAllStarGame
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

He said this several months ago, too. Said his favorite Mexican place in NC is the best. Well, if he was raised on it prob doesn't know any better.

I might prefer Texas version over the local version but the seafood angle is far superior here. Great ceviches and fish tacos and even more dressed-up seafood entrees are really superior.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

So he's an idiot with no taste then.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Rating Mexican food locations

1. Yucatan
        2. Oaxaca
        3. Michoacan
        4. Mexico City and surrounding cities
        5. Acapulco
        6. Phoenix
        7. Sonora
        8. San Diego/Texas/New Mexico/Juarez/Los Angeles/Baja

I lived in North Carolina. Great oysters, catfish, cheese sandwiches, and soul food. The Mexican food tastes like Chef Boy R Dee and Gerbers swirled up with some watery ketchup.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
          I lived in North Carolina. Great oysters, catfish, cheese sandwiches, and soul food. The Mexican food tastes like Chef Boy R Dee and Gerbers swirled up with some watery ketchup.
          So that's three votes for idiot and no taste.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            So he's an idiot with no taste then.
            That's pretty much what I was saying, at least as it pertains to Mexican food.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
              Rating Mexican food locations

1. Yucatan
              2. Oaxaca
              3. Michoacan
              4. Mexico City and surrounding cities
              5. Acapulco
              6. Phoenix
              7. Sonora
              8. San Diego/Texas/New Mexico/Juarez/Los Angeles/Baja

Phoenix? GTFO. I spent 4 years there and have traveled there a lot for business and pleasure. I wouldn't rate it any higher than SoCal or Texas. At it's best, it's on par with those but there's only a handful of places in PHX that are in the convo.

Cheese sandwiches? How can anyplace be known for cheese sandwiches, unless it's like France? East coast and Gulf Coast oysters don't rate with these best of the Pacific NW.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                That's pretty much what I was saying, at least as it pertains to Mexican food.
                Yeah, your vote was duly counted.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  Phoenix? GTFO. I spent 4 years there and have traveled there a lot for business and pleasure. I wouldn't rate it any higher than SoCal or Texas. At it's best, it's on par with those but there's only a handful of places in PHX that are in the convo.

Cheese sandwiches? How can anyplace be known for cheese sandwiches, unless it's like France? East coast and Gulf Coast oysters don't rate with these best of the Pacific NW.
                  I live in Phoenix now and have for the past 8 years so I might be biased because I know where the good stuff is. There is a place not far from where I live where the dude who owns it barbecues the meat, and the salsas are plenty and good. I especially like his chile de arbol salsa. Then there is another place even closer that has all the various types of Mexican food that I remember in Mexico that I don't generally see in the United States. It even has all the things that Mexicans call waters and we call juices - it must have at least 20 different flavors. And that place is smaller and cheaper than the Bertos on Convoy in Clairemont Mesa (or is that Linda Vista? or Kearny Mesa?). There is a place in Scottsdale that I haven't been to (due to being broke) that serves the gourmet Mexican food that I have only had in Mexico City - it's supposed to be the shit.

I don't know Texas as well, but San Diego and Los Angeles, when I lived there, tended to charge a lot for pretty generic Mexican food that I can find here for a lot less if I stay clear of the Bertos. And a lot of Mexican places here and in Glendale (Arizona's Glendale) make home-made flour and corn tortillas that are even better than the ones made in Mexico.

Due to location and the people who immigrate here, the Mexican food in Los Angeles and San Diego tend to be Baja-style, and the stuff here is mostly Sonoran. I prefer the way it's done in Sonora slightly better than the way it's done in Baja and Chihuahua/Texas. So it's just a preference. If you're into thick tortillas with lots of ingredients, then Sonoran food probably won't be your favorite. Sonorans use thin flour tortillas that they char to a crisp, and they focus a lot on the meat and less on the potatoes or veggies that you'll find elsewhere. I love it.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are the shit if you've ever done the hippie life in Western North Carolina. Asheville is the tourist spot there, but there are all kinds of hippie towns all around. And, by hippie, I don't mean yogi vegans who dress up like lumberjacks who, for some reason, have really clean and ironed clothes and well-trimmed beards. I mean the dirty hippies who haven't showered since the white man first carved his way into the Appalachians. The dudes who spend all day stoned, playing Grateful-Dead music on banjos, and dedicating their lives to the perfect grilled-cheese sandwich (which sometimes are cooked in grease from something they killed - or so they claim. Perhaps the grease was from roadkill.) Just don't wear expensive shoes around them - they are really snobby about dressing poor. You're right, though. It isn't likely going to be as good as a country on a continent that is known for its cheese. I just haven't lived in Europe, so you would know more. And my understanding of grilled-cheese sandwiches is influenced by magic-mushroom trips and jam-band concerts. Those things tend to make everything taste a lot better than they are.

The oysters I ate in eastern North Carolina were raw and were served in every bar as appetizers. One of the bars was on a pier and had a rotating belt that oysterers dumped their catches on. The bartender would open the oysters, dump them in a big bowl, and hand them to me while I drank beer and waited for my shark or tuna sandwich. Best oysters I've ever eaten.

I only said the oysters, grilled-cheese sandwiches, and soul food were great in NC, not necessarily that they were the best. Mostly I was just recommending alternatives to the gross Mexican food that gets served there.

I've never lived in France or the Gulf coast or the Pacific Northwest so perhaps the grilled-cheeseys and oysters are better there. I only know what I know.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2016, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Serious question, what is 'east coast Mexican Food?' Was he talking about fast food?

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      Yeah, your vote was duly counted.
                      Thank you.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM