• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

See ya Mike Dee

Mike Dee, out as Padres president and CEO.

Four months ago, Padres managing partner Peter Seidler, responding to calls for the firing of Mike Dee, his team’s president and CEO, came out in support of his top executive.
  • RobH
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • University English Lecturer
    • Send PM

I'm glad to see him go. Also, it was reported that Dee was the one behind the faulty medical reports and that MLB pushed the SD brass to punish him in some way. It seems that Dee was too much involved in the baseball decisions side and Preller's hands were tied in a lot of ways. It also seems that Preller was the fall guy for the medical reports. Of course, Preller wasn't entirely blameless, but Dee's stench was all over that one, apparently. Also the Kemp acquisition was a Mike Dee thing forced on Preller from all I've heard. I'm liking Seidler as the majority owner. He stays out of the limelight, has deep pockets, and is a member of the O'Malley family and learned a lot about running an organization from his family. I feel like we're in good hands now that Dee is out of there. And I really like the talent we've brought in this year. Now if the development side of the system has been fixed, we could be looking awfully tough in about 3-5 years.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
      I'm glad to see him go. Also, it was reported that Dee was the one behind the faulty medical reports and that MLB pushed the SD brass to punish him in some way. It seems that Dee was too much involved in the baseball decisions side and Preller's hands were tied in a lot of ways. It also seems that Preller was the fall guy for the medical reports. Of course, Preller wasn't entirely blameless, but Dee's stench was all over that one, apparently. Also the Kemp acquisition was a Mike Dee thing forced on Preller from all I've heard. I'm liking Seidler as the majority owner. He stays out of the limelight, has deep pockets, and is a member of the O'Malley family and learned a lot about running an organization from his family. I feel like we're in good hands now that Dee is out of there. And I really like the talent we've brought in this year. Now if the development side of the system has been fixed, we could be looking awfully tough in about 3-5 years.

It would be nice if someone from the Padres FO would clarify or confirm all of those things you mentioned. I agree that it doesn't seem like Preller would be a Kemp sort of guy - especially with news of his arthritic hips before officially agreeing to the deal - and then to make his immediate line up so darn right-handed just doesn't make good baseball sense. I would think someone else was involved in that other than Preller. Even the Myers deal. That trade isn't something you do if you're far away from contending. You don't give up a promising infielder in Turner and a promising SP in Joe Ross for a guy with rampant injury issues that can't field a position other than 1B. No way. So, again, it sure SEEMS like someone elses hand has been in the mix other than Preller.

BUT I really do like all the young kids we signed this year. We have so many talented young shortstops/infielders now. Question is, just like you said, will they develop. I'm in love with Luis Almanzar. He can do it all. Of course I felt that way with Guerra too. Oops! Maybe he'll come around in 2017.
      Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 10-13-2016, 06:33 AM.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Glad Dee is gone. Not so much bc of baseball activity, but bc of his operational stuff. He's not the type of guy that was in line with the fresh start offered by new ownership.

Comment

• HoneDogNoglet
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

good riddance

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

The Pads need to fire their cheating GM so I can go back to being a fan.

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • University English Lecturer
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
              The Pads need to fire their cheating GM so I can go back to being a fan.
              Disagree. We finally have a GM who knows his shit. Just because the babies in Boston were all butt hurt that they were penalized for cheating, they had to take someone down with them. There's no revenue sharing in MLB like there is in football, so fuck those rich pussies. We have to do whatever we can to make it fair. And Preller's not afraid to stick it to them. Go Preller and go Padres.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                Disagree. We finally have a GM who knows his shit. Just because the babies in Boston were all butt hurt that they were penalized for cheating, they had to take someone down with them. There's no revenue sharing in MLB like there is in football, so fuck those rich pussies. We have to do whatever we can to make it fair. And Preller's not afraid to stick it to them. Go Preller and go Padres.
                I admire the spirit. I just can't root for cheaters. I don't want to stoop to the level of a Boston fan. I'm man enough to root for a loser forever as long as the loser represents my hometown and conducts itself in a reputable manner. Until Preller is gone, I'm not a Padres fan.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I'm starting to wonder if Dee is more behind the cheating than Preller. Could be the reason Dee is gone.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    I'm starting to wonder if Dee is more behind the cheating than Preller. Could be the reason Dee is gone.
                    It it was Dee, the team needs to explain that. Until then, the Pads are still cheaters.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
                      the Pads are still cheaters.
                      "I like the spirit," but there have been several franchises penalized for similar issues in recent years. Probably reflects more about the large gray areas in administrative aspects of the sport that need to be brought in line with new technologies and techniques. Not every team that gets aggressive in a gray area is a "cheater."

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Gaslamp Ball tiptoeing around it (they seem to know "off the record" but aren't stating it in any publication) but hinting very heavily that Dee was fired because of the injury reporting thing, and it's characterized as being "ugly". Also said that Dee never saw the firing coming and MLB was "very pleased" with his firing. They're speculating that Preller is safe for now.

The Padres "departed" Mike Dee from their organization last week with a one sentence press release. I never felt so alive and I’m still riding the high. The #Padres have issued the following...

Comment

Working...
                        X