Clear All
  • RobH
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • University English Lecturer
    • Send PM

The Trade Deadline Fast Approaches

The trade deadline is on its way, and while I don't think the Pads are going to sell in a big way, I expect to see some bodies moved. I fully expect to see Volquez and probably Marquis moved. Both have been pitching fairly well lately, and they should be nice options for a contender looking for a strong fourth or fifth starter. Don't know what we would get back, but I'd be happy to get a reliable BP arm and maybe a prospect or two.

I would listen to offers for Stults, but it would have to be a great offer. The guy is not a number one caliber pitcher, but he does a great job of keeping us in the games, and we've still got a few option years on him as I understand it. However, we are pretty well stacked with pitchers in the minors and we will need to clear room for next year and after. But it would have to be a mind blower for me.

Guzman could gather some interest, I think. He's a professional stick, and he's shown that he can play okay D, but he'll never win you any ballgames with his glove. Perfect fit for an AL club.

I've also got to think about trading one of Alexi/Forsythe because I think they are both one and the same. But again, I don't trade them for nothing. I want some quality prospects in return. They've both shown that they can play multiple positions fairly well, and they both are decent hitters.

What do you all think?
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
    The trade deadline is on its way, and while I don't think the Pads are going to sell in a big way, I expect to see some bodies moved. I fully expect to see Volquez and probably Marquis moved. Both have been pitching fairly well lately, and they should be nice options for a contender looking for a strong fourth or fifth starter. Don't know what we would get back, but I'd be happy to get a reliable BP arm and maybe a prospect or two.

I would listen to offers for Stults, but it would have to be a great offer. The guy is not a number one caliber pitcher, but he does a great job of keeping us in the games, and we've still got a few option years on him as I understand it. However, we are pretty well stacked with pitchers in the minors and we will need to clear room for next year and after. But it would have to be a mind blower for me.

Guzman could gather some interest, I think. He's a professional stick, and he's shown that he can play okay D, but he'll never win you any ballgames with his glove. Perfect fit for an AL club.

I've also got to think about trading one of Alexi/Forsythe because I think they are both one and the same. But again, I don't trade them for nothing. I want some quality prospects in return. They've both shown that they can play multiple positions fairly well, and they both are decent hitters.

What do you all think?
    Personally, I would love to see them figure out a way to dump Quentin and Street.

Comment

• WindsorUK
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Windsor, U.K.
      • Send PM

Agree to what has been said by both you guys, except maybe the Ninja/Forsythe thing. And the only reason I don't fully agree with that is that I like both ball players. With the way guys get injured around here( wake up call to the strength and conditioning group?), both are highly valuable.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        Agree to what has been said by both you guys, except maybe the Ninja/Forsythe thing. And the only reason I don't fully agree with that is that I like both ball players. With the way guys get injured around here( wake up call to the strength and conditioning group?), both are highly valuable.
        Both are plus plus utility type players. Would love to keep them! They are, unfortunately going to be desired.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Grinners
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

TE Walker to the Patriots just because?
          Floydd to the Whinners for a SS?
          A Starting LT for next years 7th Round pick?
          Meachem to the Saints for anything they want to get rid of?
          Just kidding on all accounts but enjoying my beer..........................

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
            TE Walker to the Patriots just because?
            Floydd to the Whinners for a SS?
            A Starting LT for next years 7th Round pick?
            Meachem to the Saints for anything they want to get rid of?
            Just kidding on all accounts but enjoying my beer..........................
            Time to enjoy this beers
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Boltdog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Lunar Surface
              • Nutrition Consultant
              • Send PM

I would dump Volquez and Guzman for sure. The fact that Amarista and Forsythe play so many positions so well, and given the Padres tendency to have so many injuries, I cannot see letting either player go this season. That's why the ex-BoSox SS got released so both of them could stay. Maybe it's also time to consider moving Headley and one of the OFs if there is a decent offer. But can't see any team wanting to pay for flameout Street...
              Last edited by Boltdog; 07-13-2013, 01:12 PM.
              Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

We have a few trade pieces. I trade Quentin if we can get a significant prospect for him (top 100 baseball america wise). He's the only legit righty power hitter that can potentially hit the market. He would be a very valuable commodity, especially since he's been hitting very well. Plus he's on a cheap deal. I just don't think he'll wave his no trade clause. He's from SD and just had a kid. Doubt he wants to uproot his family.

Street has to go. We don't need a high priced closer that we don't use. He should garner some interest with so many teams having closer issues + controllable/somewhat affordable.

Venable/Denorfia/Guzman are all trade chips IMO. Get what you can for them.

Any value Volquez had vanished tonight. Money dump him to anyone.

Comment

• Boltdog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Lunar Surface
                  • Nutrition Consultant
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  We have a few trade pieces. I trade Quentin if we can get a significant prospect for him (top 100 baseball america wise). He's the only legit righty power hitter that can potentially hit the market. He would be a very valuable commodity, especially since he's been hitting very well. Plus he's on a cheap deal. I just don't think he'll wave his no trade clause. He's from SD and just had a kid. Doubt he wants to uproot his family.

Street has to go. We don't need a high priced closer that we don't use. He should garner some interest with so many teams having closer issues + controllable/somewhat affordable.

Venable/Denorfia/Guzman are all trade chips IMO. Get what you can for them.
                  Venable may be one of the most tradeable pieces we have, a good defender and someone who has good power. Denorfia signed that extension last season and I think Pads would really hesitate to let him go--They've turned away interested teams before. I don't know how Street garners much trade value with his significant contract and inability to get people out like a closer or setup guy should. He's lost his touch, and unless he regains some form after the break, no team is going to offer anything for that guy. It would be like another Randy Myers dud for some team. I think teams know about Volquez' inconsistency, but someone may take a flier on him...

Comment

• OCBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

From the UT:

The Padres bolstered their rotation Wednesday by acquiring right-handed starting pitcher Ian Kennedy from the Arizona Diamondbacks .The 28-year-old Kennedy was acquired in exchange for left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher, right-handed minor league reliever Matt Stites and a Compensation Round B draft pick to the Diamondbacks.
                    This trade seems like we are not sure if we are buyers or sellers, not a blockbuster. The thinking is that Ballsley can turn Kennedy back into his top form, and the we have him thru 2015. Will we miss Thatcher that much?
                    Last edited by OCBolt; 07-31-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Boltdog
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Lunar Surface
                      • Nutrition Consultant
                      • Send PM

Yes, we will miss Joe Thatcher. He was arguably our most consistent and effective reliever this season. Looked like he finally got it, and now he's gone. I know Gregerson is considered more valuable because he can also close, but cannot think of anyone better in our BP this season than Thatcher has been.

That said, have to assume GM knows what he is doing, based on what they've done bringing in Cashner, Stults, and Ross so far. Only hope Balsley can get Kennedy back on track sooner rather than later.

Thatcher was a targeted need for D-Backs, like Mike Adams was for Rangers years ago, and he may clean up if he is arbitration eligible next year--He's been with us awhile but dunno his status in that regard.

Wonder if any of our position players go now in August via waiver trades?
                      Last edited by Boltdog; 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

At one point Kennedy was pretty damn good.

Comment

Working...
                        X