Clear All
  • Boltdog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Lunar Surface
    • Nutrition Consultant
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bordious View Post
    I wish the Padres had the success the Raiders had in the past...
    Doesn't matter to most people when it's over 30 years ago and Raiders have been one of the worst teams in the NFL for well over a decade. At least the Padres can say that injuries have slowed their progress this season, and they don't have the record for absolute mediocrity in this millennium like the Raiders do...
    Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• TABF
      Por debajo del promedio
      • Jun 2013
      • SoCal
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Sadly, IMO, there is not a current player that warrants going up there. If we still had Gonzo perhaps, but the current crop of players are all not worthy of legendary status, or even superstar status by today's standards. I am very sorry to say this, I wish it were not true.

Great job on the banner SC, and I'm loving the updated icon buttons Cap.
      Hard to argue w/that. Plus, we don't have a solid franchise thus no "franchise player".

I think we're on the up (even though our current 13 of 15 loss record may not show that)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Boltdog
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Lunar Surface
        • Nutrition Consultant
        • Send PM

Evereth Cabrera is one of the best SS in the NL: He leads the NL in stolen bases and hits .291, also one of the best fielding IF with a .984. I think the wailing here is going a bit too far. Cabrera and Gyorko will likely be solid up the middle for years, unless Gyorko is moved to 3rd when Headley leaves. If the team was up in 2nd place in this bad division, probably more people would notice.

As for his pending suspension, it may be minimal. According to some media, MLB has been focusing on the star players in their investigation, and evidence on Cabrera according to the released testimony so far only shows he consulted with the doctors in Miami, and there is little to show that he took any substances from those guys, as with Braun and ARod...
        Last edited by Boltdog; 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Boltdog
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Lunar Surface
          • Nutrition Consultant
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
          Hard to argue w/that. Plus, we don't have a solid franchise thus no "franchise player".
          Teams these days need more than one main franchise guy--especially in small markets like SD where one big-ticket player would break the bank...

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
            Evereth Cabrera is one of the best SS in the NL: He leads the NL in stolen bases and hits .291, also one of the best fielding IF with a .984. I think the wailing here is going a bit too far. Cabrera and Gyorko will likely be solid up the middle for years, unless Gyorko is moved to 3rd when Headley leaves. If the team was up in 2nd place in this bad division, probably more people would notice.

As for his pending suspension, it may be minimal. According to some media, MLB has been focusing on the star players in their investigation, and evidence on Cabrera according to the released testimony so far only shows he consulted with the doctors in Miami, and there is little to show that he took any substances from those guys, as with Braun and ARod...
            Neither Cabrera or especially Gyorko are worthy to be on the banner. Cabrera is definitely on the upswing but I am reserving my judgement on him until he weathers the upcoming steroid thing (I'm hoping you're right that he will not be impacted) and he puts together another solid season next year. And, I'd like to make sure the team actually has intentions if keeping these guys. So sick of the fire sale mentality.

Comment

• Boltdog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Lunar Surface
              • Nutrition Consultant
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              Neither Cabrera or especially Gyorko are worthy to be on the banner. Cabrera is definitely on the upswing but I am reserving my judgement on him until he weathers the upcoming steroid thing (I'm hoping you're right that he will not be impacted) and he puts together another solid season next year. And, I'd like to make sure the team actually has intentions if keeping these guys. So sick of the fire sale mentality.
              Is there still a fire sale mentality with the new ownership group? I think they were trying to make a statement last season coming in, by signing Maybin, Hundley, Street and Quentin to long term deals. Unfortunately, except for Hundley, most of those guys have been hurt (or falling off the chart in Street's case.)

They may get some payback if they can move Street this summer. Quentin has been hitting well of late, so hate to see them remove that bat, although there is never any guarantee that he won't get injured again soon. Hundley could get moved next year depending on how fast Austin progresses. I think Maybin could be a lost cause though. So the team has spent moderately to keep what they thought were good players, but most of that group have been disappointing.

The core of the pitching staff aside from Stults, is Cashner and the injured Luebke/ Kelly. Otherwise they are going to have to wait for the likes of Fried, Joe Ross, Wisler, Sampson, etc. to advance early like Peavey did. That probably isn't going to be in 2014...

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
                Is there still a fire sale mentality with the new ownership group?
                I kinda think there has to be... And its not just the Padres... All small market MLB teams must jettison payroll if they don't have a realistic shot at competing for a pennant in that season. I think the days of developing a Jake Peavy and dumping him due to money reasons are gone. I think this management group wants to establish a few franchies players. Under thier lead, we have not had that player enter a game. Headley looked as if he could be that guy, but he is having a horrible season. Gyroko could be that guy, but its way to early to tell. And, as noted Cabbie too could be that guy, but his body of work is too small to tell and the pending Miami BS.

To compete in the long run in the bigs as a small market team, you must build from within and continue to throw out a winning product. If we were perianal competitors for the NL West title, the stadium would have 35k plus each and every night.

We need to fight off the injury bug and we need to get a few of those Yankee/BoSox bounces that seem to never happen for a San Diego team.

BACK TO THE FIRE SALE: If we have a player that is making descent money, & we're out of contention, I have no issues if they make a change knowing;

1. The player was not in the Teams long term plans,
                2. We have a viable big league ready replacement in the farm system and,
                3. Value in what we get in return. (all the while saving money)

Comment

Working...
                X