• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I see the severe lack of power-hitters at the major league level league wide as the primary reason Tomas is getting so much love. I still hope we sign him. Would be interesting to see what this team can do with some runs.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

As an unknown asking for a huge price it is going to be a slow process. Teams would be smart to take their time and investigate/research every aspect of Thomas both physically and mentally.

Whichever team signs him will be taking a big risk but the last several Cuban players to come out have all been pretty successful. Teams like the Padres can't afford to strike out on a high prices free agent as it will hamstring their payroll for years to come. But at the same time, if they never take risks they will probably never be rewarded either.

I will be surprised if they are able to land any of the big free agents but at least this off-season has been exciting so far and as a Padres fan that rarely happens.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Sanchez says that Tomas is believed to be looking for a deal in the range of five-to-seven years at about $15 million per season, but "Tomas' camp has not ruled out the possibility of signing a short-term, high-value deal that would allow him to return to the market sooner rather than later."

The Philadelphia Phillies, who had for a long time been considered the favorites to sign the Cuban outfielder, "have cooled" on the idea. As Paul Hagen of MLB.com writes, the Phillies "still like his bat there are concerns about his defense. They now view him as more of a designated hitter-type player."
        I might be inclined to go the latter route than the former, particularly if viewed as a DH type

Comment

• SFW
          • Jul 2013
          • NY
          • USMC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          I might be inclined to go the latter route than the former, particularly if viewed as a DH type
          I understand going the safer route in a shorter contract but it would suck if they did that and he was a success and then in two-three years they lose him in free agency. Either way there the team is taking a gamble. Risk giving money to a bust long term or risk losing a stud in a couple years.

As far as the defense I obviously have no idea if he can play in the field or not. But the two teams reported to be in the lead for him (Braves, Padres) are both National league teams so they must be ok with what they have seen. No matter what we will see in a week or two where he is going and all this speculation can end.

Preller met with Sandoval's agent in Miami yesterday and flew to the Dominican Republic today to meet with Thomas' agent.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
            I understand going the safer route in a shorter contract but it would suck if they did that and he was a success and then in two-three years they lose him in free agency. Either way there the team is taking a gamble. Risk giving money to a bust long term or risk losing a stud in a couple years.

As far as the defense I obviously have no idea if he can play in the field or not. But the two teams reported to be in the lead for him (Braves, Padres) are both National league teams so they must be ok with what they have seen. No matter what we will see in a week or two where he is going and all this speculation can end.

Preller met with Sandoval's agent in Miami yesterday and flew to the Dominican Republic today to meet with Thomas' agent.
            We might lose a stud? OK, but we just offered (apparently) Sandoval more than 5/95. Seems to me if we're going to pay big dollars it's better to do incrementally even if we pay more in the long run. It's OK if the Dodgers or White Sox drop big money and miss. They're teams that have the means and history of investing in FA. We don't. If you blow a major signing (in our situation), you're poisoning the well long-term.

Comment

• SFW
              • Jul 2013
              • NY
              • USMC
              • Send PM

Whichever team signs him will be taking a big risk but the last several Cuban players to come out have all been pretty successful. Teams like the Padres can't afford to strike out on a high prices free agent as it will hamstring their payroll for years to come. But at the same time, if they never take risks they will probably never be rewarded either.
              We might lose a stud? OK, but we just offered (apparently) Sandoval more than 5/95. Seems to me if we're going to pay big dollars it's better to do incrementally even if we pay more in the long run. It's OK if the Dodgers or White Sox drop big money and miss. They're teams that have the means and history of investing in FA. We don't. If you blow a major signing (in our situation), you're poisoning the well long-term.
              We are basically saying the same thing.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The Diamondbacks have “legit” interest in Yasmany Tomas, a league executive tells ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick (Twitter link). They are one of about a handful of clubs currently chasing the Cuban slugger. The Mariners, meanwhile, are nibbling around the edges at the moment, per Crasnick, but do not appear to be one of the core teams in pursuit.

Comment

• SFW
                  • Jul 2013
                  • NY
                  • USMC
                  • Send PM

The winter meetings are in SD this year and Thomas is expected to attend. If he hasn't signed with a team by then, hopefully his experience in the city of SD will convince him to pick the Padres.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Where does he play? OF or maybe 1B?

Comment

• SFW
                      • Jul 2013
                      • NY
                      • USMC
                      • Send PM

Where does he play? OF or maybe 1B?
                      Hopefully OF (LF) but I also read that some scouts were working him at 3B as well.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Hopefully OF (LF) but I also read that some scouts were working him at 3B as well.
                        If people see him as a DH-type I wouldnt mind 1B. Alonso experiment is a failure.

Comment

• SFW
                          • Jul 2013
                          • NY
                          • USMC
                          • Send PM

It's listed that the teams most interested in Thomas are Arizona, SD, San Fran and Atlanta. Everyone one of those are NL teams so it doesn't make sense that he might be seen as a DH type.

San Diego has worked out Thomas at OF and 3B and now it is being reported that San Fran is also looking into Thomas at 3B to possibly replace Sandoval.

Corey Brock of MLB.com said the Padres and Red Sox have talked about a possible Cespedes trade and mentions Kennedy as a possible match. The one good thing that will bring down Cespedes trade value is he is only under contract for one season. Of course that could also be a bad thing for the team that acquires him.

A dream come true for me would be to somehow end up with the Cuban tandem of Cespedes and Thomas.

Comment

Working...
                          X