What is the value... Or The advantage of the ball hog offense.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
    No, Demoralizing is when you go down the field & settle for a field goal, then you get a holding call that puts you out of fieldgoal range

The Raiders had 2 long & easy TD passes. I personally thinks it's good to have these plays happen early, Because it seems our defense isn't making the same mistake twice
    Ooooookay.
    sigpic

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
      No, Demoralizing is when you go down the field & settle for a field goal, then you get a holding call that puts you out of fieldgoal range

The Raiders had 2 long & easy TD passes. I personally thinks it's good to have these plays happen early, Because it seems our defense isn't making the same mistake twice
      Not sure I would call at least the first TD a "mistake" except perhaps for the inadvertent rub the safety gave Flowers. This was a case of a faster WR running a great route to beat Flowers and Carr making a perfect throw. It happens sometimes. Agreed that we have to limit these sorts of things, but I suspect it won't be the last long TD we give up.
      Adipose

Comment

• rikardo
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        We don't have the power running game, but we keep converting 3rd downs and score points, and then all of a sudden.
        The more I see Oliver's style of run; the more I think we have a power running game. I would have to disagree with your comment; his yards after contact should be very high...
        Last edited by rikardo; 10-16-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Yubaking
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          Well, yeah, that's what it does. It's a brilliant scheme!

I just thought your comment about forcing opponents to pass was a dig at Yuba, who wonders why opponents choose to abandon their gameplan and go pass happy when we clearly aren't the greatest run D of all time.

P.S., Yuba, this isn't an invitation to bring the debate into this thread. We all know where we both stand on this topic. I'm not trying to pollute this thread with that debate.
          That's nice.

Time of possession creates all of the positive effects for us that have been described in this thread and yet nobody seems to get that it just might be a good strategy for opponents not to let us have that advantage. How do they do that? (Rhetorical question.)

:facepalm:

I know, I know, no team would choose not to run when it looks like they could do it successfully. NFL head coaches are geniuses, et cetera. How could I question them? After all, I have no NFL coaching experience. How dare I question a person with expertise in an area, any area, about anything, ever? Blah, blah, blah.

Of course, the foregoing bullshit notions from the preceding paragraph have been shown to be wrong (again) this week in the thread in which Reid admits to being wrong by not running the ball in certain situations and not running the ball enough versus SF in general. But hey, the article must be wrong because no team's play caller could possibly just call a bad game. After all, some of you guys have said that, so it must be true.

Really, we have a great run defense and teams can't run against us and control the clock because we "dictate" what other teams do with run defensive greatness (at which only 24 NFL teams are better). Nah, that approach would never work against us.

:banghead:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Stop making everything about you. We are talking about our offensive scheme not how team should-a would-a could-a beat us by running the ball 90% of the time.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Reid didnt run the ball at all last week.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                Stop making everything about you. We are talking about our offensive scheme not how team should-a would-a could-a beat us by running the ball 90% of the time.
                I am not the one that raised the issue. Some of you guys seem to conveniently ignore that fact--over and over and over again. In this case, Panama made multiple references to my position. If he refers to it, then I may choose to discuss it in this context.

And nobody is saying that a team should run against us 90% of time. What I suggested was in the range of a 60/40 split.

I totally agree with what is being said in this thread about the positives of our ball control offense. That's why the other team's best strategy is so obvious (assuming that they have the personnel to make it happen and KC might). It doesn't mean the other team will win, but negating those positives that we have with our offense would be a good approach.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

If those other teams do not play ball control well why have them play to there weakness'? If those other teams do not have a running game why not let them try?
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Yubaking
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    If those other teams do not play ball control well why have them play to there weakness'? If those other teams do not have a running game why not let them try?
                    Right. I completely agree with what you are saying. In order to do what I am suggesting, the opponent needs to be able to run the ball effectively and have a QB that can keep possessions alive and that does not make that many mistakes.

Among our opponents, I think the above description best applies to SEA, KC, SF and, to my surprise, possibly BAL. DEN and/or NE might be able to set up short passes as a substitute for a ground game.

Again, I think that's what gives them the best chance, but regardless of what other teams do, we will always have a chance to win because we are very good.

For all of my focus on a couple of areas where we could be better, I really would rank us as the #1 team in the NFL right now. We aren't perfect, but we just might be the best in the NFL at this time.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                      Charger Fan till the end
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Carolina
                      • Send PM

IMO the ability to be a ball hog offense and not letting the opposing offense have the ball IS a winning formula. It does require the personnel to execute it and a Defense that plays to the strengths of the opposition likely resorting to pass if we get ahead which in general we do have with this years CB additions and being in a 2nd year in the D.

We should succeed if we execute well ...i know duh. If we make mistakes it kills drives but in general the plays are higher percentage plays on an adjusted for defensive alignment which despite some top defenses we've played we execute very well. We have the advantage probably on 2/3rds or better of the plays. This system is great for this team and hell for teams to stop.

That said its the D and ST that will put this team over the top. We should win 8 games by our offense alone with mediocre D and ST play....see last year. This is why i think we can go far. Just get in the playoffs is goal 1. Doesnt matter whom we lose or win against...just execute most the time and we should meet the goal.

Thats my 2 cents.

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

This ball hog offense the Chargers are running shouldn't work this consistently - it (almost) never does. Congrats to the team for being able to pull it off week in and week out. Nobody is supposed to be able to convert third downs at that pace.

The advantage is that the other team is gassed in the 4th quarter and has a high likelihood of falling apart.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                          Not sure I would call at least the first TD a "mistake" except perhaps for the inadvertent rub the safety gave Flowers. This was a case of a faster WR running a great route to beat Flowers and Carr making a perfect throw. It happens sometimes. Agreed that we have to limit these sorts of things, but I suspect it won't be the last long TD we give up.
                          It also helps that on the 2 long TD, we had blitzes called, with little or no help deep.

I can save the suspense, we will give up more long TD passes this year. You can't stop them completely. But you make it so they happen every few games, and so teams cannot sustain drives, the occasional long TD pass just stings a bit. And playing ball control(especially if the other team helps) will minimize the number even further. You can't throw a long TD pass unless you are throwing.

Comment

Working...
                          X