• Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Sign Matthews next year?

I'm veering toward no
    He'll never be able to pick up the blitz well
    very spotty hands
    Frequently injured
    I think having him in there tips our hand to the running game

A lot is dependent on how Oliver does, but as of now, I'd rather spend the money on other people

Your thoughts?
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I think he is adequate at blitz pickup and ha decent hands.

To me, it is about the injuries and the fact that he is getting older in RB years, and they are not the best long term investment, unless you are talking about the 3rd down types (a opposed to featured runners).

It all depends on how he comes back and how well he play at the end of the year. He has lost a lot of money because of BO, that is for sure.

Comment

• shogun
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

He's a mental midget. He has the tools physically, but is still impatient and doesn't wait for the running holes to develop. His lateral movement is less than average, but he can definitely run in a straight line fast. He doesn't strike me as a tough, football player. Watching Oliver shove Woodson is refreshing, and a reminder of what we used to have with Tomlinson. With Mathews, a lot of things have to fall in place for him to be productive.

He needs to be productive when he comes back and at least show us something. If we sign him cheap, maybe. But break the bank on him? definitely not
      Last edited by shogun; 10-17-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Two years ago ago I say that there is no way the Bolts should re-sign him. But last season he showed me enough to change my mind. He's not a great blocker and sometimes he still runs too high but he can be one of the best players on the field when healthy.

His injury history and missing time this year should keep his cost reasonable.

Oliver has played great but teams also have little tape on him. You give a team a rookie season worth of tape and they will learn tendencies. We are doing that with Fluker this season
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Sign Matthews next year?

Naw. RBs are easy to find. I'd rather just draft one on day three to help out oliver and woodhead, and that's coming from someone who likes Mathews. Oliver is for real. Look at his yards after contact. Don't know how you exactly scheme against that. He did that in college too, it just translated.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by shogun View Post
            He's a mental midget. He has the tools physically, but is still impatient and doesn't wait for the running holes to develop. His lateral movement is less than average, but he can definitely run in a straight line fast. He doesn't strike me as a tough, football player. Watching Oliver shove Woodson is refreshing, and a reminder of what we used to have with Tomlinson. With Mathews, a lot of things have to fall in place for him to be productive.

He needs to be productive when he comes back and at least show us something. If we sign him cheap, maybe. But break the bank on him? definitely not
            He's a good zone runner. You make your cut when you hit your mark on zone plays and just go. His lack of patience was a real problem in Norv's offense, but it is not a problem in our current one.

And as far as a running game, a lot of things always need to fall in place for it to be successful. Hence why running is falling by the wayside.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I'd rather put that money towards re-signing Flowers and draft a 4th RB in the lower rounds since Woodhead and Brown are under contract.

Comment

• Maverick
                (Coryellian)
                • Jun 2013
                • Point Loma
                • Send PM

Can you imagine if we had opted for Dwyerplan?

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Not unless he's willing to come back on the cheap, which he won't be. The injury history alone is enough to not warrant an extension.

If Bo has another few productive games, he's going to prove he can be the long term answer. Given his dirt cheap contract, it's hard not to give him the job and let him run with it.

I really do wonder how the hell all teams passed on Oliver so often. He didn't even sign in the initial UDFA period. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop somehow, but his play on the field has been outstanding.
                  Last edited by Beerman; 10-17-2014, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                    Can you imagine if we had opted for Dwyerplan?
                    We'd be in the same position needing a RB for next year?
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Put that money towards upgrading the interior of the OL. Unless he returns for real cheap.

I like Mathews too, but big money contracts for RBs are a thing of the past.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

I would bring i him back but it would have to be at a reasonable salary. Every team knows he's a risk as does he. That said he has big play capability with that speed to the edge that is hard to find and he is a hit the hole hard type runner too. I think he has improved year to year and he is a good character guy.

We have time to see what we have in Oliver. Its a crowded situation but a good problem for us. The team has the leverage. Mathews will not get top dollar but will easily make a nice paycheck.

Big ? For me is do we really keep all 4 running back again and who the heck are the starters? I love Woodhead and his toughness and smartness....he is a super handy all purpose back to have....keep him for sure. Oliver is cheap and has untapped potential so keep him....a very humble kid with his heart in the right place. Matthews is what he is.....a slight disappointment only due to injuries every year....he is money when on the field with his edge speed and tough running style and hes a team guy. Donald has talent but may be odd man out as the older guy first year in making not starter money but money that could go elsewhere....possibly even trade bait.

This is a good problem. I hope BO puts up crazy numbers as an all purpose back and he continues to develop. Then we have options with them all. If we let 1 go its ok.

Comment

Working...
                        X