• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    You don't think he cares about selling tickets? Hell, they haven't ruled out doing Hard Knocks next year because they think it will spur ticket sales.

You really shouldn't thoughtlessly disagree with everything I say just because I say it. I have a tendency to be right a lot more than I am wrong. Other than that it does make our conversations a total bore.
    Are you asking me if I believe that Dean Spanos has told McCoy to play for wins in preseason to help boost ticket sales? Or that Dean Spanos actually believes preseason wins pump up season ticket sales? Seriously? He's a lot of things, but a complete f'ing idiot isn't one of them. I guess this is one major outlier in your tendency to be right.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
      Are you asking me if I believe that Dean Spanos has told McCoy to play for wins in preseason to help boost ticket sales? Or that Dean Spanos actually believes preseason wins pump up season ticket sales? Seriously? He's a lot of things, but a complete f'ing idiot isn't one of them. I guess this is one major outlier in your tendency to be right.
      Yeah, I think they actually talk about making money in the front office. All the hype/hope with training camp and preseason and all the feel good articles are meant to try to put butts in seats during the season. Once the losing starts people tend to find something better to do on their Sundays, especially here in San Diego.

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Yeah, I think they actually talk about making money in the front office. All the hype/hope with training camp and preseason and all the feel good articles are meant to try to put butts in seats during the season. Once the losing starts people tend to find something better to do on their Sundays, especially here in San Diego.
        Nothing better than Chargers football. Even if we usually suck.

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
          Nothing better than Chargers football. Even if we usually suck.
          All those empty seats tend to tell a different story.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Of course they try to make money. They're....a business. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

But season tickets don't get sold on the basis of preseason outcomes. Besides most season tickets are sold far in advance of preseason. Smaller packages and single game seat sales are driven by other factors. I can think of very few fans that are stupid enough to be persuaded by preseason results. Casual fans buy on the basis of star power or by good opponents or special occasions. No one's getting hyped about DePalma's preseason and going "Man, I have to go buy me some tickets!"

Like I said, Dean isn't THAT stupid. Some people are, but not the people who run the Chargers. They know better.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Do casual fans even watch preseason? Shit I even have a hard time sitting through a full game and I know all the players on the roster.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                Do casual fans even watch preseason? Shit I even have a hard time sitting through a full game and I know all the players on the roster.
                Exactly. Let me know the next time you here a casual fan say, "Man, 4-0 in the preseason! This is our year! I bought two season tickets (or two four game packages)." It's never happened.

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  Of course they try to make money. They're....a business. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

But season tickets don't get sold on the basis of preseason outcomes. Besides most season tickets are sold far in advance of preseason. Smaller packages and single game seat sales are driven by other factors. I can think of very few fans that are stupid enough to be persuaded by preseason results. Casual fans buy on the basis of star power or by good opponents or special occasions. No one's getting hyped about DePalma's preseason and going "Man, I have to go buy me some tickets!"

Like I said, Dean isn't THAT stupid. Some people are, but not the people who run the Chargers. They know better.
                  You are being incredibly (or purposely) naive. PS games, other than putting money into the owners pockets, are all about selling tickets. I think if one were to take the time to look at the stats you will find that struggling teams tend to have better records than non-struggling teams in PS games. Now you can say that is because coaches are trying to give confidence to their team or you can say that the organization is trying to build support for their team but generally teams that are expected to do well generally lose is preseason.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to who actually wins preseason games. Even the bad teams don't play their starters more than usual. Most of the teams are just running simple madden plays anyways.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

When I first saw this thread yesterday I thought it was bad juju to start it so early. Superstitions die hard, especially after bad breaks like today's.

Oh, the game is over threshold for a blackout...

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

UT:

The first day of training camp was two weeks ago.

On Thursday night, the Chargers can show where they stand at this early mark.

They begin their exhibition schedule with a 7 p.m. kickoff against the Seattle Seahawks, and while a victory would be fine, that's not what this is about for either team, at least not entirely.

Who will rise to the occasion in a game environment, who has a firm grasp of technique and scheme, who is playing fast and who is making mental mistakes — those things matter. The following are some specific aspects to watch from the Chargers.

• New coaching staff: Fan Fest aside, Mike McCoy will coach on the Qualcomm Stadium sideline for the first time. He has simulated game management and clock control enough in practice. How will he, his staff and players translate that work into a game?

• Philip Rivers: The Chargers haven't revealed their plan for how deep the quarterback will go into this one. It might not be more than a series or two. Staying upright and developing a flow with the new offense would count as a quality start.

• Keenan Allen: With wide receivers Danario Alexander (knee) and Vincent Brown (hamstring) out, the rookie third-round draft pick will see no shortage of snaps.

• Left tackle competition: Max Starks needs to put some quality game tape together to prevent King Dunlap from running away with this one. The starting offensive line might remain in the game after Rivers has left if Dunlap and Starks both get turns playing with the first unit.

• Manti Te'o: By every indication in practice, the rookie inside linebacker has a long NFL playing career ahead of him. But that's practice, and he still hasn't tackled anybody yet. It's time for that.

• Running game: The success of the Chargers' offense extends beyond its pass protection. Last year, the rushing offense was unproductive, with a league-low four touchdowns and an average of 3.6 yards per carry, second lowest in the league. The impact of rookie right tackle D.J. Fluker should be felt here immediately. Edwin Baker, a 2012 seventh-round pick, has serious speed. Keep an eye on him if he hits the open field. First, a trimmed-down Ryan Mathews can continue his training-camp momentum.

• Mike Willie and Dan DePalma: Both practice squad-eligible wide receivers have flashed at various times in camp. Willie spent last season on the practice squad and added some offseason bulk. DePalma seems to catch everything.

• Young safeties: It's tough to miss a Chargers safety wearing No. 37, but monitor Jahleel Addae anyway. He very could well make this roster as an undrafted rookie. Brandon Taylor (knee) resumed practicing Aug. 2 after being sidelined since December. It's uncertain how much he'll play Thursday.

• Defensive line depth: We know what starters Corey Liuget, Cam Thomas and Kendall Reyes can do. How about the depth at nose tackle (undrafted rookies Kwame Geathers and Byron Jerideau) and at end (Jarius Wynn, Damik Scafe, Logan Harrell and Brandon Moore)?

• Special teams: That's where the coaching staff will be looking. Any young player who wants to get noticed can start right here.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• MakoShark
                          Disgruntled
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Alabama
                          • Send PM

Looks like NFLN picked up the game for my area. 10pm start will be brutal. Oh well thanks to Obama I can't work tomorrow, so I may try to stay up. If not, the DVR will do nicely and I can watch tomorrow morning over a cup of joe.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X