Telesco needs to fix the massive problem in the trenches on both sides of the ball

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    Pretty disappointing that in like the last 8 years that Rivers has been the starter there are only like 2-3 years (maybe) where the OL has actually been a strength. If that. I do think TT will nail it though.
    They haven't had a Pro Bowl starter on the line since 2010. During his entire tenure as starter, it was only only Dielman who made a Pro Bowl as a starter 2006-2010, though I think it might be fair to say the last couple of years and certainly the last year he made it more on reputation than actual play. Remember, 2009 was LT's last year with us and he only gained 700 some yards and though he went over 1000 in 2008 those were tough yards. A good running game obviously impacts the pass rush and consequently the passing game. While the PB isn't necessarily the ultimate statement on quality play it is indicative. The same player every year doesn't speak highly of the other players and doesn't tell us anything at all about the unit as a whole (one PB'er can exist on a totally crap line).

And as you can see from the sack totals and (turnover totals) for Rivers the last four full years look pretty different from the first four:

'15 13 (5)*
    '13 30 (13)
    '12 49 (28)**
    '11 30 (26)
    '10 38 (18)
    '09 25 (14)
    '08 25 (17)
    '07 22 (16)
    '06 27 (13)

* 7 games
    ** 12 of the 28 TO's were lost fumbles

I think the drop in turnovers last year was attributable to somewhat improved lineplay but more to the short passing game installed by McCoy and Wiz.
    Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 10-25-2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I've said it before, Fluker needs to drop 20 pounds to gain more quickness to keep up with the smaller, faster pass rushers we see on both sides of the D line in today's game.

And for those who think the MLB/ILB position is not important, look at what Denver's 54 did to BO. He just took him completely out of the game and was probably the MVP of the game. We needed BO to have a good game and 54 just owned him.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

An oline of Fluker, Clary, Hardwick, Watt, and Dunlap - TT's plan for this season IMO - would've been a pretty decent oline for us, building on last season and moving forward. Too bad we never got to see it.

Guessing TT has a new plan (duh), but we won't get to see it in place till next season (crossed fingers, barring injuries). Really hoping it puts Orhn and Rinehart back on the bench as backups, and Troutman on another team. But that means three new starters (2 of them FAs if possible, please) in the middle, big task.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          I've said it before, Fluker needs to drop 20 pounds to gain more quickness to keep up with the smaller, faster pass rushers we see on both sides of the D line in today's game.

And for those who think the MLB/ILB position is not important, look at what Denver's 54 did to BO. He just took him completely out of the game and was probably the MVP of the game. We needed BO to have a good game and 54 just owned him.
          Lots of times that's a testament to the DL soaking up double teams. Didn't really watch the trench play in this game, but it IS impressive a MLB can keep up with a RB - ours don't seem to do too well at it.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            An oline of Fluker, Clary, Hardwick, Watt, and Dunlap - TT's plan for this season IMO - would've been a pretty decent oline for us, building on last season and moving forward. Too bad we never got to see it.

Guessing TT has a new plan (duh), but we won't get to see it in place till next season (crossed fingers, barring injuries). Really hoping it puts Orhn and Rinehart back on the bench as backups, and Troutman on another team. But that means three new starters (2 of them FAs if possible, please) in the middle, big task.
            I think TT can do it.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
              Free Agent? Yes, I could see that, but not a top Tackle unless Dunlap is lost. Not sure who is available as a FA at C, but would like to see a C brought in. As far as the draft goes, again, unless Dunlap is lost, don't see a first rounder on the OL. Not concerned about spending the money in the least, I don't accept the 'Spanos is to cheap to spend it' argument at all.
              Not a tackle; I'm talking interior lineman here. Sign a QUALITY free agent (if one comes available), draft a guy in the 1st round (we'll probably be drafting in the 20s, so we could conceivably grab the top Center or OG), go defense in Round 2, and then an OG or OT in Round 3. Clary comes back next year. Draft defense in Rounds 4-7. It might also be prudent to sign a quality DL in free agency as well. We might even have more money - not sure about this - because I doubt that both JJ and Freeney are back next year. They might both be gone, in fact.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

Brandon Marshall always seems to kill us.
                Adipose

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  Brandon Marshall always seems to kill us.
                  We need to clone that dude. And wasn't he an undrafted free agent?
                  For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                    I think TT can do it.
                    Or: instead of OG/C/OG, maybe Fluker moves to guard, and then we need OT/OG/C? (or OT/OG/OG if Watt is the new center...?) Not sure how realistic moving Fluker inside is, outside of fanboy chatter.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      Richard Marshall always seems to kill us.
                      Fixed.

VIDEO LOADING
                      WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
                      WATCH MORE VIDEOS
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X