• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Lacking the physical toughness

The thing I have noticed since the raiders game is the lack of physical toughness on this team. Especially the defense, I mean we are just letting teams dominate both sides of the trenches. If this team is going to get to that next level it's gotta start playing more physical and dominating the trenches. I don't care what anyone says a game is always won in the trenches and right now the chargers are losing the battle in the trenches.
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
    The thing I have noticed since the raiders game is the lack of physical toughness on this team. Especially the defense, I mean we are just letting teams dominate both sides of the trenches. If this team is going to get to that next level it's gotta start playing more physical and dominating the trenches. I don't care what anyone says a game is always won in the trenches and right now the chargers are losing the battle in the trenches.
    Nothing in there to disagree with. Good post.

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      Nothing in there to disagree with. Good post.
      What a shocker.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
        I think we lost the trenches battle vs. Oakland but won the game anyways (barely!). But I agree that doesn't happen very often.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
          What a shocker.
          He sure is taking his job as the board's king of negativity serious. Haven't seen anyone this down on all aspects of the team since Den60 stopped posting.

Comment

• BoltBacker
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Las Vegas, NV
            • Send PM

When healthy this was not the same issue. So I tend to believe you will get beat up when there is no depth and players are on the field to long. Look for this to improve after the buy week.

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              He sure is taking his job as the board's king of negativity serious. Haven't seen anyone this down on all aspects of the team since Den60 stopped posting.
              If he's that upset about the Chargers, imagine how upset he must be with his favorite team.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                What a shocker.
                Uh, OK. Call it negative if you must, but then tell me why you disagree. You, rich, have been doing your fair share of whining lately and - Gasp! - you've even been pretty negative (though not to my level, I would agree). So your post is a bit of a surprise, coming from you. Kettle calling the pot black, eh?

But again, explain to Negative Nancy here why you disagree with chris' post. This oughta be good.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                  If he's that upset about the Chargers, imagine how upset he must be with his favorite team.
                  I'm thrilled with the Raiders "progress". Heading for the #1 pick in the Draft. If they don't trade it to Seattle for Lynch, that is.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Uh, OK. Call it negative if you must, but then tell me why you disagree. You, rich, have been doing your fair share of whining lately and - Gasp! - you've even been pretty negative (though not to my level, I would agree). So your post is a bit of a surprise, coming from you. Kettle calling the pot black, eh?

But again, explain to Negative Nancy here why you disagree with chris' post. This oughta be good.
                    If you re-read what I posted, I made no comment at all about the topic of being physically tough enough. It was merely a comment about your recent doom and gloom litany of posts. I'm not sure debating whether the current beat up Charger team is better than the Broncos constitutes whining, but perhaps you see it that way.

As to the topic at hand - are we not physically tough or are we just worn out due to the massive number of injuries and some guys (Freeney) are having to play so much they are losing their effectiveness? I suspect it's much more of the latter than the former, though Butler and Reyes have been disappointing this year.

Comment

• SFW
                      PB Official Game Thread Starter
                      • Jul 2013
                      • NY
                      • USMC
                      • Send PM

There is nothing wrong with being negative or critical from time to time. It shows a fan can be objective. The problem I have with you is you show no other side but being negative and critical 100% of the time. It becomes a broken record and really makes me wonder what you bring to the board. Maybe that is your schtick here, to just be the board hater and hate on all things Chargers. But then why bother posting on a fan board if you don't have any faith in the team, enjoy the team or even respect what they bring to the field? It seems you you don't enjoy anything about the team.

Now to answer your question about the original thread. I don't think the team is lacking physical toughness, I just think we are seeing a lot of better players/units beat our players/units. I don't see it as being a toughness factor, just more that they are not as good. Many fans see a Charger player pushed off the ball and just assume it because he isn't playing hard enough or isn't tough enough. I just assume the other player was better on that play and got better leverage.

A few weeks back during the ESPN pre-game show they were talking about how tough the Chargers were and that they were so successful and a legit contender in the AFC because they brought a NFC toughness/physicality to the game. The team didn't suddenly stop being tough or physical, they have just had too many injuries and our 2nd and 3rd stringers are playing too many snaps. Those back-up players just are not as good and some see the difference as the team suddenly lacking toughness. I don't see it that way.
                      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Faded blues
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2013
                        • Send PM

If you re-read what I posted, I made no comment at all about the topic of being physically tough enough. It was merely a comment about your recent doom and gloom litany of posts. I'm not sure debating whether the current beat up Charger team is better than the Broncos constitutes whining, but perhaps you see it that way.

As to the topic at hand - are we not physically tough or are we just worn out due to the massive number of injuries and some guys (Freeney) are having to play so much they are losing their effectiveness? I suspect it's much more of the latter than the former, though Butler and Reyes have been disappointing this year.
                        The toughness will come with health. The question is will we get healthy?

Comment

Working...
                        X