LAC: #1 Secondary, #7 total Defense in Lindy’s Pro Football Review 2020 rankings

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't think the conceal/confuse part of schemes is all that important overall. Maybe in a tight game it helps a little bit.

But NFL player and coaches have seen it all before. I don't think there is much you can pull over on experienced NFL people. Again, a play here or a play there, but you aren't going to do it with any routine.

You do have to execute on every play. I have seen plenty of plays over the years where an NFL offense or defense totally confuses the other team, only to have 1 player blow up the play because he kept his head and just executed his assignment. Executing at a very high level is not optional. Keeping the scheme simple enough so that players CAN execute at a high level is an option. Besides a simple scheme you can choose to throw more at an opponent as part of the gameplanning, as the season progresses.
    Point taken. I don't ask for something they've never seen before, just a well executed play occasionally that is not what they usually see from Bradley in a given situation.

Like Coryell used to "make 'em defend the entire field", Gus' philosophy seems to be "make 'em play small ball".
    He can get out of character occasionally. A sucker punch works great if it is totally unexpected. Gus might enjoy being a bully. I know his players would.

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Point taken. I don't ask for something they've never seen before, just a well executed play occasionally that is not what they usually see from Bradley in a given situation.

Off topic as to defense. I fear for Ekeler. Newly promoted, expected to produce. We saw this with Sproles when he was a stellar # 2 RB and was then looked upon to be a key part of a new running attack. It just didn't happen. Ryan Mathews didn't either. Here we have another unproven running back by committee situation. Ekeler will be under pressure to produce that he shouldn't have to be. Same as Sproles was before he was let go. I blames the regime, hehe.

I think this regime is betting on the defense, crossing their fingers on offense.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Off topic as to defense. I fear for Ekeler. Newly promoted, expected to produce. We saw this with Sproles when he was a stellar # 2 RB and was then looked upon to be a key part of a new running attack. It just didn't happen. Ryan Mathews didn't either. Here we have another unproven running back by committee situation. Ekeler will be under pressure to produce that he shouldn't have to be. Same as Sproles was before he was let go. I blames the regime, hehe.

I think this regime is betting on the defense, crossing their fingers on offense.
        Ekeler was having a solid season as lead back before MG returned.
        This year we'll run 3 although Ekeler will get a lot of calls because he's really good.
        Lynn is a former RB & RB coach. He should have a giood feel for taking care of his RBs.
        We have more R/ side OL talent than since Goff retired. Should make it easier to run Jackson & Kelley.

We're just speculating but I don't share your concern for EK as long as #s 2 & 3 are healthy.

We always depend on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Gotta have all three play at league average or better to be a postseason contender. Having a top D is great, It's extremely difficult to win in Jan without it. Top D, respectable O & STs, we can play.

Comment

• boldarblood
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Ekeler was having a solid season as lead back before MG returned.
          This year we'll run 3 although Ekeler will get a lot of calls because he's really good.
          Lynn is a former RB & RB coach. He should have a giood feel for taking care of his RBs.
          We have more R/ side OL talent than since Goff retired. Should make it easier to run Jackson & Kelley.

We're just speculating but I don't share your concern for EK as long as #s 2 & 3 are healthy.

We always depend on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Gotta have all three play at league average or better to be a postseason contender. Having a top D is great, It's extremely difficult to win in Jan without it. Top D, respectable O & STs, we can play.

Comment

• boldarblood
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

First 5 games rushing was 227 yards on 59 carries for a 3,8 ypc rushing with 3 TDs.

I would not call that a solid season rushing, even his receiving was much better after Gordon returned. I think he's a much better COP back, more like Sproles, Harmon, Woodhead kind of back, as primary, misused.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

A lot of the D problems were related to health & age issues. Old guys released / replaced, young guys healthy, more experienced will have an impact.

Or how about the talent on D isn't as good as people think it is. The injury excuses get old. Mebane and Thomas Davis are easy to blame because of their age. There are other players on the defense from 2019 still on the team who contributed to how awful the defense was.

Yeah we acquired players from FA this off-season. But until the players get into game action, all we see are a bunch of names.

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post
              First 5 games rushing was 227 yards on 59 carries for a 3,8 ypc rushing with 3 TDs.

I would not call that a solid season rushing, even his receiving was much better after Gordon returned. I think he's a much better COP back, more like Sproles, Harmon, Woodhead kind of back, as primary, misused.
              Ekeler is a better in-between-the-tackles runner than Sproles and Woodhead were. But I do agree Ekeler is better as a catch receiving back than he is pounding the rock.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Ontario , Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Or how about the talent on D isn't as good as people think it is. The injury excuses get old. Mebane and Thomas Davis are easy to blame because of their age. There are other players on the defense from 2019 still on the team who contributed to how awful the defense was.

Yeah we acquired players from FA this off-season. But until the players get into game action, all we see are a bunch of names.

Ekeler is a better in-between-the-tackles runner than Sproles and Woodhead were. But I do agree Ekeler is better as a catch receiving back than he is pounding the rock.
                I was surprised they gave Ekler the huge deal actually. He hasn't rushed for more than 600 yds in a season and you have to wonder if he can take a 1,000 yd season pounding at 200 lbs. But he is a great pass catcher. I hope they actually move to Josh Kelly as more #1 back and use Ekler more as the receiver the way NE uses RBs like James White and Dion Lewis before or DEN and Phillip Lindsay.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

I was surprised they gave Ekler the huge deal actually. He hasn't rushed for more than 600 yds in a season and you have to wonder if he can take a 1,000 yd season pounding at 200 lbs. But he is a great pass catcher. I hope they actually move to Josh Kelly as more #1 back and use Ekler more as the receiver the way NE uses RBs like James White and Dion Lewis before or DEN and Phillip Lindsay.
                  Not too many RB are being asked to take 1,000 yard poundings anymore. Especially, when we already have a road map of how to use Ekeler as a pass catcher out of the backfield and in the slot.

Ekeler has proven so productive in the role he has been used in, I am not sure why we would use him in another role as a RB. His best skill is as receiver, so keep using him that way.

I also would be hard pressed to think Kelley is going to be pressed into action in any other role as a RB besides more of a classic #1 back type, ground pounder, since he doesn't have a lot of experience in the passing game. He caught 38 passes in 2 years at UCLA, but the games I watched, most of those were just checkdowns. He may have some potential as a 3rd down receiver, but with Ekeler on the roster, and JJ too, I think they will try to see if he can make it as a #1 RB. JJ will probably get a shot too.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

True. The injuries are true and having them gets old, also true. Losing DJ was a bitch. Nobody could replace that talent. I'm getting used to Perryman having a decent game or two, no more. I could go on but what's the point? We usually have injuries, the D had more than usual last year. We made some moves, some young guys will step up, DJ is healthy and that is a big deal. 2019 redo isn't likely.

Comment

• AZBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I think the D has top notch talent.....I'm optimistic regarding Adderley if he can stay healthy....l think the wild card is Bradley, time for him to step up with his schemes, no excuses for him......I'm tired of the rediculous third down conversion rate, the darn picket fence scheme, et all.....get them boys up there and bring the heat, and insist that all your players tackle, flow to the ball, everybody in. Start getting of the darn field on third down!!! Last year our D was downright awful on 3rd down and Bradley I'm pointing the finger now on you first.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ontario , Canada
                        • Send PM

My feeling is they never seem to do more than just enough in the offseason w the exception of our secondary which is loaded. At LB we lost 2 (Davis ,J Brown) and added 2 ( Vigil, Ken Murray) but hopefully Murray is a big upgrade.

At NT we swapped Linval Joseph for Brandon Mebane. It just seems they fill spots. They really have faith in guys like Tillery, Damion Square and Justin Jones who were just adequate last year. Same for LT.

Meanwhile the teams that contend every year, KC (on O), BAL (on D), PIT, NE always seem overstocked and have an embarrassment of riches.

Comment

• AZBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

We have really good secondary personnel, but Bradley needs to wake up and bring some corner Blitzes, Bring Murray and James occasionally to put the heat on Mahommes......Charger success will be measured by how they can contain the Chiefs. The Chiefs are the NFL gold standard. Begins week 2 in SoFi, bring it boys, bring it.

Comment

Working...
                          X