If We Have No Season... Do We Pick 6 And Who Do You Have?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarAwayBoltFan
    San Diego Native
    • Feb 2019
    • Farmington, NM
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BleuMoon View Post
    4. Is it fair to use the same draft order in 2021? 5. What if the Chargers got the #1 pick in the 2021 draft...would you take the top QB? What say you....
    I don't have answers for 1-3.

#4. Though annoying, I don't see a fairness problem using the same order as 2020. But, I expect there would be a lottery arrangement.

#5. There are 3 choices:
    a) trade Herbert and draft Lawrence at #1.
    b) believe in Herbert and draft another position of need at #1, or
    c) trade the #1 pick and amass draft capital.

For me the decision is easy, trade Herbert and draft Lawrence. I wasn't sold on Herbert as our 1st round pick this year. I wanted Simmons or Wills/Becton but understood the pressure to draft a QB when the team doesn't have a franchise QB and is selecting high in the draft. Herbert is a great kid and a decent prospect but Lawrence was the highest prospect ever rated coming out of High School. All he has done at Clemson is add to that pedigree/resume. Lawrence has all the tools and would look great in Powder Blues.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post
      My dream... "With the 6th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select Penei Sewell, OT Oregon."

But TT may still like Pip and after looking at the expiring (expired?) contracts dream of... "With the 6th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU." or "Gregory Rousseau, EDGE Miami."

Unfortunately, TT likes to cross us up so I fear he strengthens positions of strength by drafting SS, DT, or the highest rated golden domer on the board. (OG-Kraemer?)
      I always want the guy who has no chance of making it to us, but does. Gimme Sewell.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I prefer Fields to Lawrence.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I posed this question on another forum and got flamed for suggesting there would be no season for both the NFL & college. Anyway, I'd like to expand on this topic and ask:

1. Do players with guaranteed contracts still get paid even if there's no season?

2. Would teams be able to keep players with expiring contracts (i.e. Bosa, Henry, Ingram, KA, King, etc) for the 2021 season?

3. Would rosters have to be increased beyond 90 players due to having two new draft classes on your roster?

4. Is it fair to use the same draft order in 2021?

5. What if the Chargers got the #1 pick in the 2021 draft...would you take the top QB? What say you....
          The NFL has bigger fish to fry than have completely thought though answers on these issues. They will have to start making decisions as TC is supposed to open soon.

#1) https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...season-at-all/

According to this, the NFL won't have to pay players if they don't play any games, but owe the full salaries. As the article mentions, NFL teams would likely start to dump salaries like crazy for vet players who are high priced if they had to pay them something. However, they would need to do something for the younger guys who have never collect a salary yet. And they don't want to totally piss off vets who they want back, so they would have to figure it out to some extent.

#2). There is a difference between a player being able to leave and his contract expiring. Players like Bosa and King have not acquired enough years of service to be UFA, so they would be back as restricted FA next season unless they are on the roster for 5 games. But the NFLPA would have to negotiate something with the teams.

#3). Something would have to happen, but since teams have a lot of guys at the bottom of the roster who are camp fodder, and no real chance to make the team, I think they would probably keep it close to 90 or so.

#4). Not necessarily. But the real answer would be based on what happens with FA and college players. Many of the college guys will want the chance to earn they money they could make and return to school, and help their draft stock. So, it would depend on what happens in colleges too.

The other thing is just because it is not necessarily fair, doesn't mean they won't do it anyway. Any method of determining the draft order is unfair in some sense, so you just do it and deal with the consequences later.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/...cancel-season/

#5). The draft thing always depends on who is there as much as what we want to do? The 1st pick would be worth a lot less if Lawrence goes back to school for another season. Unlikely, but possible. Once the teams know who is available, do their evaluation, then they could make a decision.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I posed this question on another forum and got flamed for suggesting there would be no season for both the NFL & college. Anyway, I'd like to expand on this topic and ask: 1. Do players with guaranteed contracts still get paid even if there's no season? 2. Would teams be able to keep players with expiring contracts (i.e. Bosa, Henry, Ingram, KA, King, etc) for the 2021 season? 3. Would rosters have to be increased beyond 90 players due to having two new draft classes on your roster? 4. Is it fair to use the same draft order in 2021? 5. What if the Chargers got the #1 pick in the 2021 draft...would you take the top QB? What say you....
            I think the possibility of no season the both college and the NFL is real.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The NFL has bigger fish to fry than have completely thought though answers on these issues. They will have to start making decisions as TC is supposed to open soon.

#1) https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...season-at-all/

According to this, the NFL won't have to pay players if they don't play any games, but owe the full salaries. As the article mentions, NFL teams would likely start to dump salaries like crazy for vet players who are high priced if they had to pay them something. However, they would need to do something for the younger guys who have never collect a salary yet. And they don't want to totally piss off vets who they want back, so they would have to figure it out to some extent.

#2). There is a difference between a player being able to leave and his contract expiring. Players like Bosa and King have not acquired enough years of service to be UFA, so they would be back as restricted FA next season unless they are on the roster for 5 games. But the NFLPA would have to negotiate something with the teams.

#3). Something would have to happen, but since teams have a lot of guys at the bottom of the roster who are camp fodder, and no real chance to make the team, I think they would probably keep it close to 90 or so.

#4). Not necessarily. But the real answer would be based on what happens with FA and college players. Many of the college guys will want the chance to earn they money they could make and return to school, and help their draft stock. So, it would depend on what happens in colleges too.

The other thing is just because it is not necessarily fair, doesn't mean they won't do it anyway. Any method of determining the draft order is unfair in some sense, so you just do it and deal with the consequences later.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/...cancel-season/

#5). The draft thing always depends on who is there as much as what we want to do? The 1st pick would be worth a lot less if Lawrence goes back to school for another season. Unlikely, but possible. Once the teams know who is available, do their evaluation, then they could make a decision.
              I agree that it is theoretically possible that Lawrence could return to school, but he is finally eligible to be the #1 overall pick that he would have been in both of the past two NFL drafts, so his draft position cannot get better and can only fall (due to serious injury, for example) with further participation in college football. Based upon his circumstances, I cannot imagine Lawrence staying at Clemson any longer than he has to stay.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

I posed this question on another forum and got flamed for suggesting there would be no season for both the NFL & college. Anyway, I'd like to expand on this topic and ask: 1. Do players with guaranteed contracts still get paid even if there's no season? 2. Would teams be able to keep players with expiring contracts (i.e. Bosa, Henry, Ingram, KA, King, etc) for the 2021 season? 3. Would rosters have to be increased beyond 90 players due to having two new draft classes on your roster? 4. Is it fair to use the same draft order in 2021? 5. What if the Chargers got the #1 pick in the 2021 draft...would you take the top QB? What say you....
                Welcome to the Blues. What forum got after you?

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think the possibility of no season the both college and the NFL is real.
                  Barring an extraordinary change in circumstances, I think there is virtually zero chance that the NFL season does not happen in some form.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Barring an extraordinary change in circumstances, I think there is virtually zero chance that the NFL season does not happen in some form.
                    Yeah i think Baseball may show some success. Hoping it does. My guess is that the NFL will end up playing but without fans?

Comment

Yes, if we are drafting at #1 overall, we must take Lawrence. Lawrence is the BPA by a mile and he plays a position of need with Taylor and an unproven Herbert. Honestly, Lawrence has the potential for historical greatness written all over him--think multiple Super Bowls. At #1 overall, I would not be opposed to trading Herbert and picks to trade back in for Sewell somewhere in the top 10 after drafting Lawrence. Scoring both Lawrence and Sewell in the same draft would not be half bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Yeah i think Baseball may show some success. Hoping it does. My guess is that the NFL will end up playing but without fans?
                        I think the NFL is likely to happen just as you have described it. I can't imagine there being a consensus among the states to let in 70,000 people in a single compacted location for hours at a time, masks or not.

It is a bummer because I was really looking forward to making a trip this year to SoFi to see the Chargers and the stadium itself and I already have to wait a year for the rescheduled Stadium Tour (Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison and Joan Jett) after the tour had to be postponed.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

I also doubt they play football while this virus is active. Hope I'm wrong because I enjoy both college and NFL football. Thinking back to when I played football (many years ago), I can't picture how you can form the bond you need with your teammates while keeping 6 ft away and wearing face masks, etc.

Then you get on the field and block and tackle - it's still a contact sport so how do you keep the virus from spreading?
                          As for questions - 1, 2, and 3 - my take is that's something that will have to battled out with the union.

Question 4 - I think that would be what they'd do - what else would be fair?
                          Question 5 - If that happened I would expect the to trade the pick.

But the, what do I know?
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X