• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Again, I'm not blaming Bosa for the defensive woes. He is no question a very good player. But he is the 2nd highest paid defensive player in the game. He got Aaron Donald money. Is he as elite as Donald? That is my question.
    If Bosa was average this game then the rest of the dline was below average. He can't play all eleven spots and go all out 110% of the time.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

No he’s not as elite as Donald
      Who is?
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

I really hope the NFL PA is able to force owners to use natural grass. It doesn't matter if you pay him elite money if he's beat up. If you have a Ferrari and flatten the tires it's not going to run very fast.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
          I really hope the NFL PA is able to force owners to use natural grass. It doesn't matter if you pay him elite money if he's beat up. If you have a Ferrari and flatten the tires it's not going to run very fast.
          I think the proper analogy would be if you have a Ferrari driving in the bog...lol! Seriously why didnt they go with grass? That thing has a glass top right?

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

I don't mean to bag on Joey here. I think he plays hard every game. However, at this point anyway, I don't think he is quite the talent that he is hyped to be. I was a bit surprised to see him chosen for the Pro Bowl, as his production as been far from elite this season.

He is the highest paid defender in the league, and I don't believe his talent warrants that kind of money. His contract pays him an average of $27 million over 5 years. This season he has 7.5 sacks in 12 games played. No forced fumbles, one fumble recovery. The Chargers are tied with the Jets for 24th in team sacks with 24.

I know that people will say he hasn't had much help, and that he can't do it all himself. But when you are the highest paid defensive player in the league you expect a difference maker like Aaron Donald. Bosa is not on that level. Bosa has had one game where he flashed that kind of skill - against Buffalo. But the Chargers were dominated in that game, and it's the only game I've seen Bosa be that kind of player. He has made his share of plays throughout the season, but, again, he hasn't been a difference maker. The Chargers' defense has blown so many leads this year.

I like Joey Bosa a lot and am glad his a Charger. I'm just saying I don't think his play warrants the contract he received, and the Chargers have a bunch of players the team needs to re-sign next year.

All that said, I do wonder if Bradley doesn't know how to get the most out of Bosa's skills, or he is unwilling to adapt his scheme to do so. I think the Chargers will have a new DC in 2021, even if Lynn is retained, and I look forward to seeing if that helps Bosa become difference maker we all want him to be.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

I don't mean to bag on Joey here. I think he plays hard every game. However, at this point anyway, I don't think he is quite the talent that he is hyped to be. I was a bit surprised to see him chosen for the Pro Bowl, as his production as been far from elite this season.

He is the highest paid defender in the league, and I don't believe his talent warrants that kind of money. His contract pays him an average of $27 million over 5 years. This season he has 7.5 sacks in 12 games played. No forced fumbles, one fumble recovery. The Chargers are tied with the Jets for 24th in team sacks with 24.

I know that people will say he hasn't had much help, and that he can't do it all himself. But when you are the highest paid defensive player in the league you expect a difference maker like Aaron Donald. Bosa is not on that level. Bosa has had one game where he flashed that kind of skill - against Buffalo. But the Chargers were dominated in that game, and it's the only game I've seen Bosa be that kind of player. He has made his share of plays throughout the season, but, again, he hasn't been a difference maker. The Chargers' defense has blown so many leads this year.

I like Joey Bosa a lot and am glad his a Charger. I'm just saying I don't think his play warrants the contract he received, and the Chargers have a bunch of players the team needs to re-sign next year.

All that said, I do wonder if Bradley doesn't know how to get the most out of Bosa's skills, or he is unwilling to adapt his scheme to do so. I think the Chargers will have a new DC in 2021, even if Lynn is retained, and I look forward to seeing if that helps Bosa become difference maker we all want him to be.
              Dont agree. He has been doubled at times with nobody else to speak of for us as a pass rusher.

Bosa had 31 QB hits last season, he has 27 this year in 12 games and 7.5 sacks (11.5 last season). He has15 tackles for loss, had 18 last season in 16 games.

If we can get another pass rusher to help out and some kind of pressure up the middle he will be more effective and wont be double teamed.

Aaron Donald is a beast and should be the highest paid defender but i dont he is quite as good a run defender as Joey is.
              I do think Joey is a better player than Khalil Mack.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                He has been doubled at times with nobody else to speak of for us as a pass rusher.
                I know this is the excuse for justifying Bosa's lack of playmaking, but when you are the highest paid defender in the league, I think you are expected to be elite enough to beat double teams. Again, I like Joey and am glad his a Charger. And he is one of the better pass rushers in the league. But I think he is a bit overrated.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

He sucks, cut him. Look at all the cap space we can save.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

25% pass rush win rate. 5th overall. 30% run/stop win rate. 8th overall. Yes not a typical year for Bosa. But the supporting cast was not helpful. Hes fine.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

I think he’s a great player. The Buffalo game was one of the best games I’ve seen a defender have. Against the Raiders in very limited play he made some great reads and stops on run plays.

my concern is his health. He gets knicked up and out a lot more than a guy like Donald or someone you’ve committed that much to.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Bagging on Bosa is nuts given the defensive scheme we run and with no real complimentary pass rusher across from him.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                          I think he’s a great player. The Buffalo game was one of the best games I’ve seen a defender have. Against the Raiders in very limited play he made some great reads and stops on run plays.

my concern is his health. He gets knicked up and out a lot more than a guy like Donald or someone you’ve committed that much to.
                          Where has that kind of performance been the rest of the season then? Where was it against Tampa, New Orleans and the Broncos? Of the 8 biggest blown leads in franchise history, three have occurred this season. OK, Brady and Brees are future HOFers. But allowing Lock to look like Brees and Brady in the 2nd half? This defense also allowed Gardner Minshew and Joe Flacco to mount comebacks. I am not bagging on Bosa's heart. I think he gives his all every game. But, again, I question just how deep his talent really is. When he got that contract this off-season, I was expecting a player who could lift his team, the defense. He's not that kind of player, or he hasn't been yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X