• Show
Clear All
  • Sec-E4
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2014
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

The What If Thread

Let's talk strictly Football here ....put aside his off field issues, Would you wanna see Adrian Peterson in a Chargers uniform?!?!?!

I've read a few places that the Vikings might try to terminate AP's contract, And if that doesn't follow through they might try to deal him out. He's under 30 and has some nice mileage left on those legs

AP and Woodhead in the backfield would be a Pro-Bowl backfield for sure
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
    Let's talk strictly Football here ....put aside his off field issues, Would you wanna see Adrian Peterson in a Chargers uniform?!?!?!

I've read a few places that the Vikings might try to terminate AP's contract, And if that doesn't follow through they might try to deal him out. He's under 30 and has some nice mileage left on those legs

Are you asking if we would want AP if the child abuse thing never happened? My answer would be of course. But the problem is it did happen so for me personally I wouldn't want him ever wearing a SD Chargers uniform. Let other teams have the Ray Rice's, Adrian Peterson's, Riley Cooper's and Michael Vick's of the NFL. I would rather have players I can get behind like Rivers, Freeney and Weddle and not players I have to turn a blind eye towards just because they are Chargers.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

This is a bit like Q's poll. It's not that clear cut. You cannot separate the off field issues from the player. Do I want someone with AP's talents and skills? Absolutely. Do I want someone with his baggage? No, thanks. I like the guys we have well enough. They may not be as good at football as AP, but overall it's a better package. (And remember, this is already a Pro Bowl backfield.)
      Adipose

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

No.

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

I don't want somebody who won't be allowed to play. If he's found guilty, he might be in prison or on long-term suspension from the NFL. If he's found not guilty, that might be a long time from now - and, in the meantime, the NFL will have him suspended. It's not like the NFL ever listens to the Union.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

As far as us having him goes, I do not care at all about his stupidly overblown off the field incident with his child. I think both Peterson and his child have been unnecessarily whipped and I am hopeful that he can move forward with his NFL career in 2015.

What I do care about is that he will be 30 years of age in this hypothetical before he ever suits up for us in 2015. I think he has 3-4 productive years left at most and those likely will not be his best years, although they will likely be good years by RB standards.

If we could get him for significantly less than franchise value (like 60% of franchise value), which is projected at $10.85M, then he might be worth a look at in free agency, but I doubt we would get him for that because someone will probably overpay for the AP of old, not realizing that RBs over 30 tend to decline in performance and sometimes they decline rapidly.

Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that we can have great RBs and it won't matter if we also do not do what is necessary to fix our OL woes. I would start there and then, if the money is available and the price is right, I would consider a player like Peterson. After all, we may able to re-sign Mathews and is he is a good RB in his own right, who is younger than Peterson with more tread left on the tire.

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
              I don't want somebody who won't be allowed to play. If he's found guilty, he might be in prison or on long-term suspension from the NFL. If he's found not guilty, that might be a long time from now - and, in the meantime, the NFL will have him suspended. It's not like the NFL ever listens to the Union.
              He reached a plea bargain already. No jail time.

He is suspended for this year, but can apply for reinstatement next year. I would be shocked if this goes on into next year as it has been wildly ridiculously overblown already as it is.

You know, I don't think I have been on the NFLPA's side too many times in the past, but I will cheering for them in their effort to get Goodell out of the discipline process by imposing fixed rules for violations that take the matter out of Goodell's control altogether as he has proven to be a walking clusterfuck through his involvement in it.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                He reached a plea bargain already. No jail time.He is suspended for this year, but can apply for reinstatement next year. I would be shocked if this goes on into next year as it has been wildly ridiculously overblown already as it is.

You know, I don't think I have been on the NFLPA's side too many times in the past, but I will cheering for them in their effort to get Goodell out of the discipline process by imposing fixed rules for violations that take the matter out of Goodell's control altogether as he has proven to be a walking clusterfuck through his involvement in it.
                So the NFL takes this more seriously than the law. When did the NFL become our judicial system?

Let's keep Peterson suspended for as long as possible so that he can spend more time whooping his kids and less time doing something productive. I'm sure he's in a better mood now that he's suspended. He'll definitely treat his kids better. This punishment from the NFL will totally make society a better place.
                Last edited by thelightningwill; 11-22-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                  So the NFL takes this more seriously than the law. When did the NFL become our judicial system?

Let's keep Peterson suspended for as long as possible so that he can spend more time whooping his kids and less time doing something productive. I'm sure he's in a better mood now that he's suspended. He'll definitely treat his kids better. This punishment from the NFL will totally make society a better place.
                  Right. I have run out of patience with Goodell entirely. He does not have a clue and he needs to be gone from the equation because of it. All he is doing is licking his finger, putting it in the air and seeing how the wind is blowing in terms of public reaction and basing his decision on that.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Right. I have run out of patience with Goodell entirely. He does not have a clue and he needs to be gone from the equation because of it. All he is doing is licking his finger, putting it in the air and seeing how the wind is blowing in terms of public reaction and basing his decision on that.
                    Couldn't agree more.

After the whole Rice fiasco, Goodell should have had the good sense to step down.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

That's the sign of a good executive. Give the customers what they want. Make money for employers.

Unfortunately for me, my views are represented by about 1 zillionth of his customers, and I am not one of his employers - nor do I want them to make more money.

My bigger problem isn't with Goodell.
                      It's with society and the media that apparently controls our minds. Why are we so pissed at Goodell for suspending a player for a couple games for breaking laws made by the government - an entity Goodell doesn't run and doesn't even work for?

And why aren't we pissed at the judges who give lighter consequences than Goodell? Not that I'm all about harsh punishments, but society sure as shit seems to be.

Recap.

Goodell - head of a sports league - responsible for making more money for people who already have a lot of money. Seems to be doing a good job.
                      Judges - people who make judgments and deal out consequences for people who break laws. Seem to be handing that responsibility over to a sports league.
                      Last edited by thelightningwill; 11-22-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

He reached a plea bargain already. No jail time.

He is suspended for this year, but can apply for reinstatement next year. I would be shocked if this goes on into next year as it has been wildly ridiculously overblown already as it is.

Bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                        X