• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madcaplaughs
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Officiating in the Ravens game

I though the refs really called some questionable Pass interference's on us, and also that ticky tack penalty on pushing poor Joe Flacco. As well, I was astounded on the non call on the hit to the head of Malcolm Floyd. I guess if you don't mean it, you don't get the penalty, unless you're on the Chargers. "Going for the ball"! That was BS. That being said, the long pass interference at the end of the game in the end zone would have been a non call for me if I'd been an ump (and if I wasn't a Chargers fan). What say you?
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

The call at the end of the game was PI. The defender wasn't playing the ball. He had no idea where the ball was until the very last moment and was impeding Floyd's attempt to catch the ball since he was in such a bad position.

That being said, that crew was way too flag happy and I think someone posted that they had called the most penalties this year.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Not sure what all the fuss is about. There were much worse calls and missed in the game. This call isn't even in the top 5 questionable list.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

(1) I could go either way on all the PIs. There was definitely contact on the plays while the ball was in the air, and so I don't think the PI calls were totally bullshit. And the refs were consistent both ways on that. I think what a lot of people are missing is that (on at least the 2 PI calls against Wright that I can remember), the illegal contact did not occur in the endzone where the ball reached the receiver, but several yards before that, before the camera focused on the receiver and defender. So, my reaction during the game was to shout, "Bullshit!" on the initial call, then say, "Oh, right, that was interference," when seeing the replay.

(2) The PI at the end of the game was the most obvious call of the bunch, I thought. Floyd was attempting to catch the pass and the DB arm-barred him. I'd have thrown the flag every time on that.

(3) The non-call on the hit to Malcom's head was a correct non-call. If the defender was attempting to tackle or hit Malcom, that's a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness. However, the defender was not hitting Floyd; the defender was playing the ball and the contact was incidental. I hated the non-call, but it was absolutely correct in accordance to the rules.

(4) We don't have a player named Malcolm Floyd. We have Malcom Floyd. Malcolm is Malcom's older brother.
        Adipose

Comment

• Wheels
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
          I though the refs really called some questionable Pass interference's on us, and also that ticky tack penalty on pushing poor Joe Flacco. As well, I was astounded on the non call on the hit to the head of Malcolm Floyd. I guess if you don't mean it, you don't get the penalty, unless you're on the Chargers. "Going for the ball"! That was BS. That being said, the long pass interference at the end of the game in the end zone would have been a non call for me if I'd been an ump (and if I wasn't a Chargers fan). What say you?
          I pretty much agree on the PI calls. Thought we deserved the PI call based on the previous PI calls that Baltimore was basically making their living off of. I'm just so sick of the flag getting thrown on every single 3rd and long, in just about every game. It just seems like it's an easy out for the refs and they're anticipating something happening rather than reacting to it.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

The only odd thing I had with all the PI calls was where the ball was placed.

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
              I agree that the refs called some questionable PIs against us. Gilchrist committed PI for sure, but the two calls against Wright were terrible. On the second one, T. Smith pushed off, so if any penalty should have been called, it would have been that, not PI against Wright.

The contact on the Weddle penalty was not all that forceful, but that is going to draw a penalty 100 times out of 100 as it was way late and after Weddle had taken multiple additional steps to get to Flacco. Honestly, that play Weddle was awful, one of the worst I have ever seen him make.

The PI on Anthony Levine does not get much clearer than that. I think the only other thing that Levine could have done would have been to have taken Floyd all the way down to the ground. But instead, he only wrapped him up with both arms and prevented him from jumping while not looking for the ball and with is back nearly completely turned to the ball while the ball was in the air.

Look at the screen shot included in the article cited by Panama. With the ball in the air, that is flagrant pass interference--not even remotely questionable.

That said, even if that call had not been made, I still think we would have won the game as were having no trouble moving the ball and had the ball at their 24 when the pass interference happened with nearly 40 seconds to go.
              Last edited by Yubaking; 12-02-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                The only odd thing I had with all the PI calls was where the ball was placed.
                It is not odd if you know that we were never flagged for having committed PI in the end zone. There was some confusion on the Gilchrist penalty because Gilchrist committed PI at the 7-8 yard line as he was getting beat and then recovered on a soft throw into the end zone to come close to committing PI again in the end zone. The refs called nothing against Gilchrist for his play in the end zone. They thought it was clean.

The issue on the second PI with a "strange spot", which was allegedly committed by Wright was that there really was not any PI on the play, so the refs had the same problem as they had when they called a penalty on the Rams player on the final punt return in the game the week before and had to decide where to spot the ball. That is hard to decide when the contact that is being called is essentially fictional. The spot ended up being at some location that did not correspond to anything, which is exactly what happened the week before when we got really lucky that the refs made the call against the Rams at all on the final punt return, but then got really unlucky when they missed the area where the alleged foul had to have occurred by placing the ball some 30 yards further up the field for the Rams as "the spot of the foul" where the Rams player could have only fouled the grass at the Q by running on it all alone.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                  I pretty much agree on the PI calls. Thought we deserved the PI call based on the previous PI calls that Baltimore was basically making their living off of. I'm just so sick of the flag getting thrown on every single 3rd and long, in just about every game. It just seems like it's an easy out for the refs and they're anticipating something happening rather than reacting to it.
                  I agree that too many PI penalties are being called. I would undo the emphasis that the league has placed on calling PI and defensive holding. It has made the games less enjoyable to watch in general.

Also, I thought Chris Collinsworth expressed a great idea several weeks ago when he suggested that they should adjust the zone in which contact is allowed by defenders from 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

I think that would help defenses by limiting the effectiveness of the short passing game that has become so prevalent and it would stop defenders from getting flagged for that seemingly commonplace contact that happens 7-8 yards down field that is now getting flagged so much more often.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Some of the calls were bad. But im still scratching my head over Flukers fluke. We probably go down and score the way our O was moving the ball. Go into the half 17 to 16. Maybe even 21 to 16 had we gotten the Floyd penalty. Game could have easily been less stressful.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

The Weddle penalty was worse. Most negative play of the game. If he had been a rookie, he woulda been benched for that. As a defensive captain it was inexcusable.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        The Weddle penalty was worse. Most negative play of the game. If he had been a rookie, he woulda been benched for that. As a defensive captain it was inexcusable.
                        I've seen players do that to QB's a thousand times and it never gets called. Its just a push. That was a BS call , IMO.

As for PI's...the rules are just too damn convoluted. At full speed PI appears apparent on just about every pass play. The rules need simplification. And in Wrights defense he is allowed to touch the receiver after 5 yards just not impede him. That ref crew didn't know the difference.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X