• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoneDogNoglet
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Should McCoy call the plays?

If McCoy brought Reich in as OC when he was hired to call plays instead of him and this just happened. I think Reich would be looked at as an underwhelming hire and replaceable. Reich might be over his head trying to replace a head coach who did his job last year. I bet if last year we didn't land Whiz and for some reason settled on Reich, McCoy would've took over the roll by now.

Maybe I'm just pissed the he coached the the offense that overcame the rest of the team showing up to lose this game.

Does anybody think McCoy could be a head coach play caller? We will probably finish the season with Reich and start next season with him, but I wouldn't mind seeing if McCoy can do it. I don't Reich has proven himself to be an OC on par with McCoy or Whiz. If we can't hire a better OC than McCoy then maybe he should call the plays.
  • MassGeneralBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

This offense in my opinion has taken a step back from last year even though Rivers likely further along in his command the offense as a whole is not built for playoff success and that's a direct result of lack of creativity and devotion to the running game . Where is the commitment to running power formations , pitches etc. every run that Reich calls looks like a draw play out of shotgun formations.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MassGeneralBolt View Post
      This offense in my opinion has taken a step back from last year even though Rivers likely further along in his command the offense as a whole is not built for playoff success and that's a direct result of lack of creativity and devotion to the running game . Where is the commitment to running power formations , pitches etc. every run that Reich calls looks like a draw play out of shotgun formations.
      Disagree about the play calling, though it's pretty hit or miss. The problem is all 5 of our offensive positions are playing far worse than they did last year. Fluker has regressed, Troutman should not even be a backup, Watt isn't ready at center, Reinhart is as bad as Troutman and Dunlap just looks mediocre. No offensive play calling will succeed against a well coached defense with this trash we are trotting out.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Disagree about the play calling, though it's pretty hit or miss. The problem is all 5 of our offensive positions are playing far worse than they did last year. Fluker has regressed, Troutman should not even be a backup, Watt isn't ready at center, Reinhart is as bad as Troutman and Dunlap just looks mediocre. No offensive play calling will succeed against a well coached defense with this trash we are trotting out.
        Disagree.

You could make the argument that coaching should try to cover up as much of your players' weaknesses and bring out as much of their strengths as possible. I mean that's the ideal situation and obviously it doesn't always play out that way, but you get what I'm saying.

That being said, yes you're absolutely right, the OL is simply awful right now and it definitely hinders what we can do. I still think our offensive playcalling could be WAY better to try to help matters. Did we run a single screen all night? What about a trick play here or there to at least get the defense to stop being so aggressive. I too am sick of the draw plays out of shotgun. Our running game has zero creativity, but the sad part is that literally half the time it doesn't matter because our RB is getting hit behind the line.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• RollingThunder
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          Disagree.

You could make the argument that coaching should try to cover up as much of your players' weaknesses and bring out as much of their strengths as possible. I mean that's the ideal situation and obviously it doesn't always play out that way, but you get what I'm saying.

That being said, yes you're absolutely right, the OL is simply awful right now and it definitely hinders what we can do. I still think our offensive playcalling could be WAY better to try to help matters. Did we run a single screen all night? What about a trick play here or there to at least get the defense to stop being so aggressive. I too am sick of the draw plays out of shotgun. Our running game has zero creativity, but the sad part is that literally half the time it doesn't matter because our RB is getting hit behind the line.
          This.

We all know we have weaknesses especially on the offensive line. A coach's job though, is to put us in the best situation to succeed, which Franck Reich does not do.

Rich's excuses sound exactly the same as all the Norv Turner excuses. Norv Turner called long developing and predictable plays with an offensive line that was horribly built for such situations and he did it over and over again without any adjustments and expected to somehow have a different result. Good coaches adjust and cover up their weaknesses not play to them.

Last year we saw exactly what a good coach can do to help put their players in a situation to succeed. What is maddening about this is that last week, we barely threw a pass over 15 yards and we were successful. This week we went to the same BS playcalling that has gotten us in trouble previously. It seems FrancK Reich is dead set on the offense playing his way which is exactly what Norv Turner was like. The only time either adjust is when they have absolutely no other choice and which in most cases is too late.

You can actually see the offense look slow and unprepared. They look lethargic out there and again, very norvesque in the way they go about running the offense. Much more different than the well coached and well oiled offense of last year that played fast and did not give the defense enough time to put pressure before the ball was out of Phillip River's hand.
          Last edited by RollingThunder; 12-08-2014, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Play calling has been very questionable, was Mathews injured or what he gave us positive yards and even when he was hit in the backfield with the exception of two carries he would always move forward. For most part Mathews was effective running so why didn't we run him more than what we did? The passing game really pissed me off we went back to Norv Turner era going deep down-field, what was open was the running back in the flat and for what ever reasons Frank Riech wouldn't call for that or a screen as much as the Pats were blitzing up the middle we could of got some positive plays with a screen or pass in the flat to the RB.

The D played lights out with the exception of the long pass to Kronk and the TD pass to Eldeman, this was on the Offense I thought play calling was horrible I don't know if we went panic mode in play calling because Scrifes getting knocked out of the game, or what. I am still baffled about Mathews is dude injured and they didn't put him in or what, but with Brown in the game it is a dead giveaway we are passing.

Dam you McCoy your team was better Defensively and performed admirably in Special Teams with Novak punting and you put this piss poor performance on offense it was obvious we weren't going to get deep down field passing what about the dump of to the back or quick slants. McCoy you should of pulled the reins on Riech and changed up the play calling. Bad as the line was going against the Pats blitz why wouldn't you shorten the passing game. WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY?

Only feeling worse than losing to any team that is lead by Peyton Manning is losing to the Cheatroits (Belichik & Brady) then having to hear bitter-man Rodney Harrison

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by HoneDogNoglet View Post
              If McCoy brought Reich in as OC when he was hired to call plays instead of him and this just happened. I think Reich would be looked at as an underwhelming hire and replaceable. Reich might be over his head trying to replace a head coach who did his job last year. I bet if last year we didn't land Whiz and for some reason settled on Reich, McCoy would've took over the roll by now.

Maybe I'm just pissed the he coached the the offense that overcame the rest of the team showing up to lose this game.

Does anybody think McCoy could be a head coach play caller? We will probably finish the season with Reich and start next season with him, but I wouldn't mind seeing if McCoy can do it. I don't Reich has proven himself to be an OC on par with McCoy or Whiz. If we can't hire a better OC than McCoy then maybe he should call the plays.
              he wasn't just brought in or hired- he was here last year as QB coach and has experience in this type of offense all the way back to his playing days backing up Jim Kelley on 4 Super Bowl teams. Like everything else on our offense, the sorry OL is preventing success. Go back to the 1st couple games of the season and we were more productive- so its not just the play calling right now...
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
                This.

We all know we have weaknesses especially on the offensive line. A coach's job though, is to put us in the best situation to succeed, which Franck Reich does not do.

Rich's excuses sound exactly the same as all the Norv Turner excuses. Norv Turner called long developing and predictable plays with an offensive line that was horribly built for such situations and he did it over and over again without any adjustments and expected to somehow have a different result. Good coaches adjust and cover up their weaknesses not play to them.

Last year we saw exactly what a good coach can do to help put their players in a situation to succeed. What is maddening about this is that last week, we barely threw a pass over 15 yards and we were successful. This week we went to the same BS playcalling that has gotten us in trouble previously. It seems FrancK Reich is dead set on the offense playing his way which is exactly what Norv Turner was like. The only time either adjust is when they have absolutely no other choice and which in most cases is too late.

You can actually see the offense look slow and unprepared. They look lethargic out there and again, very norvesque in the way they go about running the offense. Much more different than the well coached and well oiled offense of last year that played fast and did not give the defense enough time to put pressure before the ball was out of Phillip River's hand.
                I'm not sure I am making excuses as opposed to acknowledging the harsh reality that our line is severely affecting the play calling. Add in a total lack of separation by any of the receivers and tight ends and you saw what we got.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

meh.

When you lose the playcalling sucks, when you win, it's great.

After years of reading people complain about Norv calling the plays, I'm very surprised anyone would even suggest this.

I don't see much difference from last year's offense to be honest. And it isn't like Whisenhunt is tearing up the league with his playcalling in Tennessee.
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• RollingThunder
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

We are looking to make a play down the field as our first option when last year we looked for the short option first then worked our way back down the field. Big difference in philosophy and one that puts a weak oline at a big disadvantage. Again, this was the exact same thing as what Norv Turner did and what drove most here crazy.

There were several times yesterday when Rivers was looking to make a play down field as his only option when he could have simply taken what the defense gave him. We are more successful as a short and precise ball control offense because it works towards our strengths, both for Rivers and our offensive line. When we try to play the long ball, our only hope is that Floyd comes down with a spectacular catch because Rivers will be scrambling just to get some more time and as we all know, he isn't very good outside the pocket or when he is on his back heels trying to get far away from the line to give his receivers enough time to get open.
                    Last edited by RollingThunder; 12-08-2014, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
                      We are looking to make a play down the field as our first option when last year we looked for the short option first then worked our way back down the field. Big difference in philosophy and one that puts a weak oline at a big disadvantage. Again, this was the exact same thing as what Norv Turner did and what drove most here crazy.

There were several times yesterday when Rivers was looking to make a play down field as his only option when he could have simply taken what the defense gave him. We are more successful as a short and precise ball control offense because it works towards our strengths, both for Rivers and our offensive line. When we try to play the long ball, our only hope is that Floyd comes down with a spectacular catch because Rivers will be scrambling just to get some more time and as we all know, he isn't very good outside the pocket or when he is on his back heels trying to get far away from the line to give his receivers enough time to get open.
                      This is a game where Woodhead would of been a factor based on the relationship he developed with Rivers maybe more likely Rivers would of looked for him as the safety net

Comment

• Boltergeist
                        Pesky apparition
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Baja Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                        This is a game where Woodhead would of been a factor based on the relationship he developed with Rivers maybe more likely Rivers would of looked for him as the safety net
                        I thought the same thing. Woodhead could have made a big difference last night. There was a third down where Brown got an outlet pass and ran out of bounds two yards short. You have to think that Shaggy would have found a way to convert.

Comment

Working...
                        X