Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

McCoy on the punt decision

From ESPN:

McCoy on not going for it on 4th down: 'It didn't work, so I wouldn't do it again'

December, 8, 2014
    By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- With his team down two scores to the AFC's top team in the Patriots, San Diego Chargers head coach Mike McCoy had a chance to go for it on fourth down and four yards to go from midfield, with 6:28 left in the game.

However, with the Chargers trailing 23-14, McCoy chose to punt the ball with backup punter Nick Novak. The ball was fair caught by Danny Amendola at New England's 12-yard line. And the Patriots grinded out three first downs before punting the ball back to San Diego with 2:05 left in the game.

McCoy's strategy did not work, and he admitted as much on Monday.

"I made that decision based on the way our football team was playing," McCoy said. "The defense was playing outstanding at that point in time. They had the four, three-and-outs the first four drives of the second half. They [Patriots] were 0-for-5 on third-down conversions at that point of time, and the way they were playing defensively, I was thinking they would go three-and-out.

"We had three timeouts. We scored in a hurry before, so I thought we could do it again, get the ball back and make a decision after a field goal or a touchdown, with the three timeouts remaining depending on how many we used, we could kick it on sides or kick it deep depending on how much time was remaining and get the big stop. So that was the thought process behind that, and also the way the offense was playing contributed to my decision also."

McCoy acknowledged the fact his strategy didn't work, and if he could go back in time he would make a different decision.

"It didn't work, so I wouldn't do it again," McCoy said. "That's the big thing. If it works, and they go three-and-out and we get the ball back, then we're not having this discussion right now."

McCoy isn't exactly a risk-taker when it comes to going for it on fourth down. According to ESPN Stats & Information, McCoy has gone for it just 11 times since taking over as San Diego's head coach in 2013, the fewest times in the NFL during that span.

Last season, San Diego was very successful, converting 5-of-6 on fourth downs, which was second only to the Denver Broncos.

However, this season McCoy is 1-for-5 on fourth downs, which is worst in the league.

I asked McCoy if he considers advanced analytics in making his decision on whether to go for it on fourth down. McCoy said he goes with feel and flow of the game instead.

"I'm going to go with my gut decision on those things," McCoy said. "No one on a piece of paper can tell me this is the right thing or the wrong thing to do. What if on the first play there's a fumbled snap? So you can't tell me on a piece of a paper it says 'fumbled snap,' or 'incomplete pass' or 'illegal contact' -- things like that you can't put on paper.

"It's all about what you think is best, and what you think is best for your team at that time."
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

"Advanced analytics." Good grief.

These media people are a bunch of jerkoffs.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

If he learns from this, it's a good thing.

Comment

Wouldn't doubt it if ownership or Telesco came forward and said, "Tell Mini Belicheck to be considerate to the fans and admit you fucked up." Did he see the sea of pats fans?

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
          Wouldn't doubt it if ownership or Telesco came forward and said, "Tell Mini Belicheck to be considerate to the fans and admit you fucked up." Did he see the sea of pats fans?
          No way this happened.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

This act is getting old...

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

That doesn't surprise me.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

His reasoning sounds like a 10 year old playing Madden
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  No way this happened.
                  Agreed.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                    These media people are a bunch of jerkoffs.
                    They must have seen your sig.
                    Adipose

Comment

Working...
                    X