• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Back to the topic of the O line.

This was an interesting breakdown of Rivers under pressure last year.

Under pressure - 0.3 yards gained - Ranked 37th out of 38 qualifying QB's.
    Without Pass Pressure - 7.2 yards gained - Ranked 9th

Here's hoping that's some great lipstick.
    Last edited by Beerman; 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Chargers left tackle King Dunlap is here because he listened to his father.

He insisted his 6-foot-9 son, then a high school junior and defensive lineman, wear a knee brace to protect himself from serious injury. Dunlap obeyed with a brace around his right knee only. The next game, like clockwork, Dunlap took a cut block to the right knee without feeling a thing.

He has worn a brace over both knees ever since, by choice.

This year, in practice, Chargers offensive linemen have none.

If center Nick Hardwick or right guard Jeromey Clary look faster in Thursday night’s exhibition opener against the Seahawks, they probably feel that way, too. This will be the first time all summer the offensive line is permitted to play without knee braces, as new coach Joe D’Alessandris ordered and mandated the equipment as mandatory dress code in every practice.

Tonight’s unbuckling coincides with the gloves coming on. Dunlap, penciled — not penned — as the starter, is battling Max Starks for the left tackle job. They are expected to rotate reps in the most prominent position battle of this San Diego preseason.

Dunlap competes against Starks, not D’Alessandris’s policy.

Wearing knee braces “saved me from blowing my knee completely out,” Dunlap said. “It saved me on several occasions, even in the league in 2010 when I got rolled up. The doctor told me if I didn’t have my knee brace on, I’d have blown my entire knee out. To me, being as tall as I am, it’s worth it.

“All the other guys, yeah, they complained about it. They hate it.”

D’Alessandris told his group about the policy before organized team activities (OTAs) began in May. There was a collective groan, but it is difficult to argue the rationale in light of how the past few months have gone.

The braces are designed to minimize the risk of anterior cruciate ligament tears. That injury keeps popping up on the Chargers practice field — linebacker Melvin Ingram, linebacker Jonas Mouton and wide receiver Danario Alexander all have torn an ACL in practice, all in a very different fashion.

The injury can end a season. It can derail a career, costing a player millions.

That doesn’t make those black braces any less uncomfortable.

They’re big and bulky. Players squeak onto the practice field. They squeak off it. Upon entering the locker room, shackle removal is among the first order of business.

Starks joined the Chargers mid-OTAs. After signing, he was told to get fitted for his knee brace.

“For what?” Starks said with a laugh. “It is what it is. … It’s to prevent ACL injuries. Especially after you see how many injuries there already have been this early in camp, it’s definitely one of those things where you want to be preventative and be ahead of everything.”

The policy is not unique to Alessandris.

Most Chargers have been required to brace-up at previous stops, mostly during practices only. In some case, unlike here, they were required for games, too.

“We were forced in college,” said center Dave Molk, who attended Michigan. “When you get used to not playing with them and put them back on, it’s like dragging 40 extra pounds. … When you take them off after you’ve been practicing for a while, you feel like you’re running a 4.4. It’s awesome. I mean, you can go forever. So in theory, it’s good to practice in them. It just sucks.”
      So happy to see some coaches are finally smartening up. I noticed it when I was at camp and wondered if it was a mandate since ever single lineman had them double strapped. Maybe the rest of the players should follow suit. Last I checked we don't win any games in practice.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Wearing knee braces “saved me from blowing my knee completely out,” Dunlap said. “It saved me on several occasions, even in the league in 2010 when I got rolled up. The doctor told me if I didn’t have my knee brace on, I’d have blown my entire knee out. To me, being as tall as I am, it’s worth it.

It has also saved him from being a decent OT
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

It has also saved him from being a decent OT
          That's a very good point.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Well its too soon to tell, but the oline looked sevicable and actually a little dominent in the interior run game. Fluker is a dozer in the run game. He also will probably cost us a few plays in pass protection. Hope they help him out in game one.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• JayShort21
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The o-lne looked pretty decent while the starters were in. Promising if nothing else.

Hopefully they can stay healthy and keep improving and not be a major concern this year.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by JayShort21 View Post
                The o-lne looked pretty decent while the starters were in. Promising if nothing else.

Hopefully they can stay healthy and keep improving and not be a major concern this year.
                There's bound to be injuries. Chargers have had 20 OL starters the past 2 seasons.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  Well its too soon to tell, but the oline looked sevicable and actually a little dominent in the interior run game. Fluker is a dozer in the run game. He also will probably cost us a few plays in pass protection. Hope they help him out in game one.
                  He was already getting some help with chip blocks on some passing plays. It's not going to be Mike Harrs-Norv Turner all over again.

Comment

• Boltdog
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Lunar Surface
                    • Nutrition Consultant
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    How did the starting guards look? Who started with Clary at OG? Thanks...
                    Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
                      How did the starting guards look? Who started with Clary at OG? Thanks...
                      Chad Rinehart is the other guard. He looked solid in the one drive. It was one series so it's really not very telling, but on one play Rivers actually had a pocket to step up into and complete a pass to Gates after going through his entire progression.

Comment

• Boltdog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Lunar Surface
                        • Nutrition Consultant
                        • Send PM

Thanks. Interior guys look promising then, especially if Troutman can get more experience this preseason to be an effective backup. Starting to worry about what is behind Hardwick though. Hope he can stay healthy....
                        Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

So much for that competition being over huh.

Neither King Dunlap nor Max Starks was surprised. They knew this day would come.

Dunlap began Saturday's practice working with the first-team offense. Then, Max Starks relieved him. Dunlap played another first-team series. Then came Starks.

A similar rotation could very well be applied Thursday when the Chargers travel to Chicago for their second of four preseason games. The coaching staff wants to see men work against the Bears' defensive front, as the competion continues over the starting left-tackle spot.

Saturday was the first time in training camp Dunlap and Starks have split first-team reps for a reason unrelated to health.

"We knew it was coming," Dunlap said. "They said it was going to happen, and it started this week. I figured when we started preseason games (the rotation) would get rolling. It doesn't change anything for me. It's still the same mentality, coming in and working hard, doing what I got do."

If Dunlap continues to hold his own, the job may be his.

He took the vast majority of starter snaps in the first two weeks of camp. He followed that work with a strong performance last week against the Seahawks.

While working with a second-team unit that struggled, Starks also had a solid game.

Starks labeled the competition as "still very much wide open." Thursday is a good opportunity for either veteran to distance himself.

The Bears are expected again to have a formidable defense after allowing the second-fewest offensive points in the NFL last season while forcing 44 takeways, most in the NFL.

"They had 10 defensive touchdowns last year," Starks said. "Very savvy group, which means they get a lot of pressure and force the quarterback in bad situations. It's going to be a great front to go against. ... It will be a great challenge."

Comment

Working...
                          X