Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    Amazing that MM called him out in the UT. Coaches don't usually do that.
    Wondering if that was intentional or a rookie mistake at this point.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      Wondering if that was intentional or a rookie mistake at this point.
      It looks to me like MM is not happy with Meachum in TC.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Grinners
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The Meachum sucks thread only has one link where as the Manti Teo injury has 8 links. WTF

Comment

• Grinners
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
          The Meachum sucks thread only has one link where as the Manti Teo injury has 8 links. WTF
          My bad there are 11 links to Teo................ Someone has got Man Love?

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            Then lets drop Jackhole (for now ) and my comments still apply to Meachump. You guys are telling me that there's no way he can lose his guaranteed dough. So, again, why risk injury? The pain and rehab associated with that? Why should he care? Since the money is 100% guaranteed, and you guys have convinced me that we can't take 1 penny of that money away from him, Meachump can just go through the motions, play it safe, and do his best to stay healthy.

This is probably his last really big payoff in his career, he's pushing 30, and he's playing on a team that's going nowhere this year. Not exactly the Most Motivated Player on the team, in my opinion.
            If he commits murder, they could probably void the remainder of his deal. Just sayin.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
              Abby Norval
              Rep

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Rotoworld

A person familiar with Robert Meachem's situation told the Union-Tribune San Diego that Meachem's body has "broken down" and isn't what it once was.
                Meachem is only 28 years old. He battled a hamstring injury for a brief period last year and had a knee scope in the 2012 offseason, but otherwise he's stayed off the shelf in recent seasons. Columnist Kevin Acee says Meachem can no longer separate, runs bad routes, has unreliable hands, and "has no business being on the field." Acee believes the Chargers should cut Meachem.
                But in the Chargers’ preseason opener, Meachem looked as bad as he did last season. Maybe worse.

Yes, it was one exhibition game, but Meachem acknowledged it was more than just that for a a guy coming off such a horrendous campaign.

“I was disappointed with myself,” he said. “I don’t have room to get caught.”

He was responding to the observation that he got caught giving up on a play – not coming back to the ball on what would end up being Charlie Whitehurst’s first interception. (Meachem was so bad that, when I also take into account how poorly the bulk of the second-team offensive played, I owed Whitehurst an apology for even remotely suggesting he didn't play well on Thursday.)

“I got lazy at the top,” said Meachem, who earlier in the game had run the wrong route on a Whitehurst incompletion.

Quite plainly, Meachem looked as if his confidence is still fractured and his game is still missing. He looked lost in Norv Turner's offense, and he looks lost in Ken Whisenhunt's offense.

Meachem says his health is “blessed,” and he did miss just one game last year and has been in every practice this camp.

However, one person familiar with the situation said emphatically that Meachem is “broken down," that his body simply isn’t what it was.

Meachem was a receiver who did one thing well. He ran fast. That was enough -- for a time and as a part of a certain offense in which he could just be another guy.

Now, he's a receiver who can’t separate, runs poor routes and has undependable hands, and he has no business being on the field. No matter the cost.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Ya know whats not better on weeden?

Meachums game!
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

For once I Acee actually wrote a decent article. Really coming around to the POV of cutting his ass. He's a sure fire cut next season. If he doesn't improve in the next few preseason games, could be gone much sooner. I really didn't even consider it since the 5 mill were guaranteed. He has just looked so bad in camp and in games.

Don’t you dare make the comparison.

Robert Meachem is not Jared Gaither.

Meachem is neither as important nor as apathetic as Gaither was.

But the bottom lines appear to be the same. In the end, neither could help the Chargers. Both will end their careers here sooner than should have happened, walking away with millions of the team’s dollars and highlighting (in neon) the bind in which the Chargers have been left by the failed free agency foray of 2012.

Where Gaither took his money and shut down, Meachem is the real face of that ill-fated attempt to fortify a faulty roster with a massive (desperate) expenditure last spring by former General Manager A.J. Smith.

Meachem wants to be good. He simply isn’t. He wants to contribute. He just can’t.

It’s so bad that paying him $5 million to not play while also paying somone else is less of a waste than paying him $5 million and having him take up a roster spot -- even with the remaining top four receivers all having an injury history.

You understand how drastic this is?

We're not just talking about a salary cap hit here, though that is sizable. We're talking real money possibly being paid to a player who will be at home.

That's the situation after the Chargers guaranteed Meachem $14 million last March, which includes a guaranteed base salary of $5 million this season.

Given the thin market for receivers that year and the fact the Chargers simultaneously landed Eddie Royal and paid far less for two receivers than the Washington Redskins did for Pierre Garcon, the Chargers’ thinking was at least understandable.

Had Meachem even produced at the level he did for the New Orleans Saints from 2009 to ‘12 – averaging 43 receptions, more than 650 yards and almost seven touchdowns – his contract could be justified.

But Meachem was epically below that standard last year. His 14 receptions were just two more than the career-low of his rookie season, and his 207 yards were the fewest of his career.

Meachem was targeted just 32 times all season (just three times after dropping a certain touchdown pass in the open field on Oct. 28), and his 43.8 reception percentage was fifth-lowest in the NFL among players who had the ball thrown their direction more than 30 times.

“I did suck,” Meachem said, not for the first time, on Saturday.

Earlier in camp he had said this: “This year I just want to be on the same page as Philip (Rivers), be able to run good routes, be smooth in my routes, and just get back to having fun.”

Such a thought was previosuly digestible, in part because you figured there was no way Meachem wouldn’t be at least a little better in 2013 than he was in ’12.

And before Thursday night, it seemed likely the Chargers would be compelled to stick with Meachem – if only because of the financial constraint presented by the base guarantee and $6.875 million cap hit they’re stuck with regardless of whether he plays.
                    But in the Chargers’ preseason opener, Meachem looked as bad as he did last season. Maybe worse.

Yes, it was one exhibition game, but Meachem acknowledged it was more than just that for a a guy coming off such a horrendous campaign.

“I was disappointed with myself,” he said. “I don’t have room to get caught.”

He was responding to the observation that he got caught giving up on a play – not coming back to the ball on what would end up being Charlie Whitehurst’s first interception. (Meachem was so bad that, when I also take into account how poorly the bulk of the second-team offensive played, I owed Whitehurst an apology for even remotely suggesting he didn't play well on Thursday.)

“I got lazy at the top,” said Meachem, who earlier in the game had run the wrong route on a Whitehurst incompletion.

Quite plainly, Meachem looked as if his confidence is still fractured and his game is still missing. He looked lost in Norv Turner's offense, and he looks lost in Ken Whisenhunt's offense.

Meachem says his health is “blessed,” and he did miss just one game last year and has been in every practice this camp.

However, one person familiar with the situation said emphatically that Meachem is “broken down," that his body simply isn’t what it was.

Meachem was a receiver who did one thing well. He ran fast. That was enough -- for a time and as a part of a certain offense in which he could just be another guy.

Now, he's a receiver who can’t separate, runs poor routes and has undependable hands, and he has no business being on the field. No matter the cost.
                    Last edited by Beerman; 08-10-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• SFW
                      PB Official Game Thread Starter
                      • Jul 2013
                      • NY
                      • USMC
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      For once I Acee actually wrote a decent article.
                      Don't be so hard on yourself KA. I am sure that isn't the only decent article you have written.
                      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        Ya know whats not better on weeden?

Meachums game!
                        Answering questions from police. Short-term memory tests.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

This sounds like this is going to end soon and badly.

Comment

Working...
                          X